Paranoia, bigotry go together

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

psi29a
Godo

Paranoia, bigotry go together

Post by psi29a »

source
MICHAEL PAUL WILLIAMS wrote:Bigotry is nothing new in Virginia politics. But it seems to be experiencing a resurgence at an odd time in our state's history.

Virginia is increasingly di verse, its political hue changing from red to purple. But while one segment of our population embraces change and inclusion, another clings to fear, intolerance and exclusion.

Last week, Rep. Virgil H. Goode Jr., R-5th, cast his lot with the latter group.

In a letter to constituents, he stoked anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim sentiment at the expense of Rep.-elect Keith Ellison, D-Minn., a native-born American and the first Muslim elected to Congress.

In so many words, Goode said Muslims need to be kept out of Congress and America.

Goode, of Rocky Mount, was channeling the sort of jingoism that led Sen. George Allen, R-Va., to derisively toss "Welcome to America" and "macaca" barbs at a Virginia native of Indian-American descent.

Allen was unseated after his mean-spirited comments shed an embarrassing national spotlight on Virginia. Now comes Goode with his political potty mouth, heedless of the consequences.

More than five years after the Sept. 11 attacks, paranoia remains thick.

Recently, some riders on Richmond buses took one look at ads in Arabic script and saw terrorist codes. The ads, which bore such innocuous messages as "rock, paper, scissors," were actually placed as part of an interfaith effort to foster dialogue.

In this environment, we need a reasoned and effective response to terrorism that preserves the rights of U.S. citizens and our Constitution. We don't need demagogues demonizing an entire religion.

There is more to the story and I encourage people to read it. This of perticular interest to Killfile, vtwahoo, and myself since we are all hail from Virginia. And yes, I've seen racism first hand, even in Alexandria, VA just scant miles away from Washington DC.

Have you ever experienced racism?
Artezul
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Artezul »

Yes.
"Don't you get it yet?! If she's beautiful, you'll die instantly!!" Chopper
arke
Beware my tactical spam

Re: Paranoia, bigotry go together

Post by arke »

MICHAEL PAUL WILLIAMS wrote:... Rep.-elect Keith Ellison, D-Minn., a native-born American and the first Muslim elected to Congress.
Sidenote: Ellison hails from my home district. Despite the Independent candidate losing, I was happy he won. The next two years shall be interesting and I look forward to increasing tolerance of Muslims.

P.S. Upon rereading the last sentence, I can hardly believe it's even necessary.
ZoddsNo1Fan
This is my new home

Post by ZoddsNo1Fan »

I can jump on the Virginia boat myself, Hampton, Va here. Unfortunatly with our Countries huge diversity of nationalities you have to expect that some people will be intollerant either given a certain upbringing or what have you. I had a friend who was from Texas. He would listen to this hillbilly comedian who made all these black person songs and quite frankly i found them disturbing/unsettling(didnt let him play anymore).

Ive had one or two black friends in my life and found their culture different but interesting all the same. There are some people who cant grasp the concept of a different skin color/culture and like to hate by them. Its to bad we dont have a perfect world but as long as there are people who hate there is no hope to have that.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Wow a native-born American and MUSLIM.

He must be really good to get people to vote for him despite him being those two parts.

I must say i am shocked that he got in to congress depsite being specially muslim which isnt the best thing to be exactly in US post 9/11.