Study Detects Recent Instance of Human Evolution

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

psi29a
Godo

Study Detects Recent Instance of Human Evolution

Post by psi29a »

source
A surprisingly recent instance of human evolution has been detected among the peoples of East Africa. It is the ability to digest milk in adulthood, conferred by genetic changes that occurred as recently as 3,000 years ago, a team of geneticists has found.

The finding is a striking example of a cultural practice — the raising of dairy cattle — feeding back into the human genome. It also seems to be one of the first instances of convergent human evolution to be documented at the genetic level. Convergent evolution refers to two or more populations acquiring the same trait independently.

Throughout most of human history, the ability to digest lactose, the principal sugar of milk, has been switched off after weaning because there is no further need for the lactase enzyme that breaks the sugar apart. But when cattle were first domesticated 9,000 years ago and people later started to consume their milk as well as their meat, natural selection would have favored anyone with a mutation that kept the lactase gene switched on.

Such a mutation is known to have arisen among an early cattle-raising people, the Funnel Beaker culture, which flourished some 5,000 to 6,000 years ago in north-central Europe. People with a persistently active lactase gene have no problem digesting milk and are said to be lactose tolerant.

Almost all Dutch people and 99 percent of Swedes are lactose-tolerant, but the mutation becomes progressively less common in Europeans who live at increasing distance from the ancient Funnel Beaker region.
More ammo for evolution with additional evidence in natural human populations. If evolution is a myth, then why are there genetic differences in the basic way the body functions across social-ethnic divides? Environmental changes + Random Gentic changes = Evolution (change) .
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Interesting stuff, i love reading about evolution.

My fav part of school was the bio lessons about evolution.
ShinigamiGuts
n00b Smasher

Post by ShinigamiGuts »

I hope our next stage of evolution involves surviving large amounts of radiation, and having the ability to store food in our body and consume less. The way the shit is happening in the world, we may need that ASAP
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

East africa, thats my old home field! Regarding milk from cattle, camel milk is quite popular there, and you cant find more healthy and strong milk then camel milk(get way stronger and leaner bones).

Regarding lactose tolerance or intolerance, it all depends on ones cultural history with (diary)cattle, ispecially since suprisingly enough, the majority of asians are lactose intolerant(surprised me, thought lactose intolerance was a rare little allergy, not something the majority of the people in the most populated continent have).

has to do with that they dont have the same culture of raising and herding alot of cattle like africa or europe. Due to what nature offers them, which is not much cattle and alot of vegetation with jungles etc...they tend to live off vegtables and everything green instead of their diet being primarly meat and milk like other parts of the world. Less dependance on diary cattle, means more likely to have a lactose intolerant gene in ones gene pool.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

thanks for re-stateing the article :P
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Hahaha! Yeah I know I got carried away, its just that I heard this from school a couple of years ago and found it interesting(btw, in what way is this a new thing btw? It was known before) and fascinating. Weirdly enough, was a popular topic amongst my friends and classmates.[/img]
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

My theory is that it's the same with alcohol dehydrogenase. The reason many asians can't take alcohol is that they developed the purification of water MUCH earlier than the Europeans, and Europeans were raised on beer and wine mixed with water for thousands of years. When you have to drink alcohol as a kid it makes a big difference, since it WILL be an evolutionary factor, while drinking in adulthood is not so.

So here goes my grand evolutionary theory :).
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

Segregation of ANY character, or trait, within a particular population or group is a sign of selection, ence evolution.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Ah, but the question is when and how quickly it happened.

Evolution in bacteria occurs really quickly, because one generation multiplies after only a very short time.

Evolution on humans should be almost the slowest ever, since hardly any species take on average 15-20 years to produce offspring. However, high child mortality in the past makes for fairly quick evolution, since obviously, if it doesn't survive, it can't produce chidren. :)
Brainpiercing
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

How is hardly a question. The evolutionary forces are mutation, natural selection, migration, genetic drift and non random mating (doesn't include Buz, freak is messing up everything!).

When and how quickly are only a question for particular traits. How quickly just depend of what evolutionary force you look at. Big events of selection are known. But there is numerous fields, like evolutionary genetics, phylogenetics, population genetics, etc that can give you the when and how quickly. The above study being and example of it.
ZoddsNo1Fan
This is my new home

Post by ZoddsNo1Fan »

More ammo for evolution with additional evidence in natural human populations. If evolution is a myth, then why are there genetic differences in the basic way the body functions across social-ethnic divides? Environmental changes + Random Gentic changes = Evolution (change) .
Random genetic change DOESNT happen. Never has it been seen, and it never will occur. When a change DOES occur this happens
http://mud.mm-a7.yimg.com/image/2586012378
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart/20 ... loseup.jpg

Benificial mutation DOES NOT OCCUR AND NEVER WILL. We already are fearfully and wonderfully made and stray but a little away from how we were created and you get the genetic diseases you see above.

The fact of the matter is is that the species homo sapien sapien of ALL race, color, creed, ethnicity, are serparated by an insignifcant number in the human genome(like 10x27(16th power)). You have to understand genetic variation and how they work to understand that skin color is mearly a taking of AaBb chromesome and XxYy to get a whole host of possibilites with human features alone.

The fact that various countries or people have adapted, not evolved, but adapted to live in their region is contrary. Evolutionists put complex words behind a simple meaning to intimidate people in order to not have their views questioned. Mankind is seperated mearly by ethnicity and nothing more.

Its also a known fact that for evolution to be true there must be an addition to the genome of the species. This causes mutation. Evolutionists take an insignificant number(the numbers change yearly, and large enough so people cant comprehend them) and throw it out there like some fanatical faith, in prediction of how long they think it took the galaxies to form, life to somehow come from nothing(not possible to get amino acids to form with OTHER amino acids), gases to form from hydrogen(not possible in lab), a single cell ameoba to evolve into EXTREMLY and i stress EXTREMLY complex animals(look into the complexity of a single cell within our own body) which eventually evolve into the millions of species of insect, mamals, fish, amphbians, and the like, how can you think this is true?

A mere glimpse at our univers is mind boggling. Our own solar system is a grain of sand in the infinate ocean which is our universe. Hubble pointed at a single spot of darkness for 10 days straight and they thought they would see the end of the universe. It stared 1 terrion into space only to see hundreds of galaxies extended over lightyears of distance. The shear size of the universe defies evolution, yet the extremly complex single cell also defies this faith. Its the naturalist who would have no want of god who clings to this faith. I hate how evolution pollutes the beauty of science. A shame!

watch these videos and then come and counter them and i will believe evolution. I particularly like the astronomy one.
http://www.answersingenesis.org/video/ondemand/

I took AP biology in highschool and gave presentations/studied entire chapters on evolution. These videos made me question it:
http://drdino.com/downloads.php
arke
Beware my tactical spam

Post by arke »

Erm, hydrogen can't form other gases/elements? What's fusion then? God waving a hand and poof, helium!

Also, 10*27^-16 is such a fantastically small number. In fact, we differ by a much larger margin. There are an estimated three billion DNA base pairs giving roughly 20 to 25,000 different genes. Thus, the most any human can differ from another is in all 25,000 genes, which is an order of magnitude difference of 19.5.

I'm not even going to bother with the rest. Try harder next time.

I was raised Catholic, thus everything I say is completely true.
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

Zoddswhateverfan definitively disgraced himself from this forum. What a moron.

Edit: wait, did he say astronomy?
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Hehehe, did he really say that he would believe evolution only if one can counter the super solid and unquestionable wisdom of creationist? Hehehehe.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

My wife is a biology major and holds a BS, Albator over there works for NIH, and myself took many Biology (though I admit to not taking any courses on genetics) at University, and we all agree that you played fast and loose with evolution. What we study is empirical evidence, as in what is observable and what is testable because that is what Science is all about.

listen to arke, he is a badass but I don't know what he has done other than post factual stuff.

I'm currently having my morning coffee, but I'll make sure someone tackles your post Zodd#1 Fan.
ev·o·lu·tion /ˌɛvəˈluʃən or, especially Brit., ˌivə-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ev-uh-loo-shuhn or, especially Brit., ee-vuh-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. any process of formation or growth; development: the evolution of a language; the evolution of the airplane.
2. a product of such development; something evolved: The exploration of space is the evolution of decades of research.
3. Biology. change in the gene pool of a population from generation to generation by such processes as mutation, natural selection, and genetic drift.
We will go with #3 because of the context of our discussion.

Fact: Mutation occures (observable)
Fact: Natural selection happens (observable)
Fact: Genetic drift (observable)

My question to you is, is it really Evolution you have a problem with or perhaps some idiot teachers/professors that bit off more than they could chew?

Remember, if you have to believe then it isn't science.
Last edited by psi29a on Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Simple question, Mr smart creationist: If man or the world in general is so complex, and it was supposedly created, then who or what created it? Whoever did must be infinitely more complex. Where did he come from? You make it sound as if there is any logic in creationism, there is not. The thing to remember about evolution is that it is VERY VERY VERY slow, it usually takes thousands of generations and millions of interbreedings for a visible genetic change to occur. Is it hart to picture? It sure is. But is it unthinkable? Hell no.

Now you'll really lose all credibility if you start talking about god, and that he is infinite and eternal. There goes all your logic.

I'll tell you about God. God is the free Gibbs enthalpy. It also has a convenient G to make sure you notice. :)
Brainpiercing
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

And here we go!
Berkley University wrote:Misconception:
"Evolution is not science because it is not observable or testable."

Response:
Evolution is observable and testable. The misconception here is that science is limited to controlled experiments that are conducted in laboratories by people in white lab coats. Actually, much of science is accomplished by gathering evidence from the real world and inferring how things work. Astronomers cannot hold stars in their hands and geologists cannot go back in time, but in both cases scientists can learn a great deal by using multiple lines of evidence to make valid and useful inferences about their objects of study. The same is true of the study of the evolutionary history of life on Earth, and as a matter of fact, many mechanisms of evolution are studied through direct experimentation as in more familiar sciences.
Need more science? Here ya go.

ImageFossils such as Archaeopteryx give us snapshots of organisms as they adapt and change over time.

ImageStudying modern organisms such as elephant seals can reveal specific examples of evolutionary history and bolster concepts of evolution.

ImageArtificial selection among guppies can demonstrate microevolution in the laboratory.

ImageLaboratory experimentation with fruit flies demonstrates the power of genetic mutation.

* Visit the PBS Evolution Web site to learn about John Endler's research on wild guppies, a great example of direct experimentation.

* Learn more about lines of evidence for evolution

If you have to believe something to be true, then it isn't science.

PS: Evolution is science, not faith. The study of evolution relies on evidence and inference from the natural world. Thus it is not a religion. Supreme Court and other Federal court decisions clearly differentiate science from religion and do not permit the advocacy of religious doctrine in science (or other public school) classes. Other decisions specifically uphold a school district's right to require the teaching of evolution.

Darwin's idea that evolution generally proceeds at a slow, deliberate pace has been modified to include the idea that evolution can proceed at a relatively rapid pace under some circumstances. In this sense, "Darwinism" is continually being modified. Modification of theories to make them more representative of how things work is the role of scientists and of science itself.

Thus far, however, there have been no credible challenges to the basic Darwinian principles that evolution proceeds primarily by the mechanism of natural selection acting upon variation in populations and that different species share common ancestors. Scientists have not rejected Darwin's natural selection, but have improved and expanded it as more information has become available. For example, we now know (although Darwin did not) that genetic mutations are the source of variation acted on by natural selection, but we haven't rejected Darwin's idea of natural selection — we've just added to it.
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

Thing is, Psi is awesome. He actually takes more time to dig more and more stuff. I could post the entire course I teached on evolution, disproving ID arguments (like the famous evolutive gaps) or most of what Z#1F said. But why bother?

There is probably a dozen threads (at least), recents and not, dedicated to this subject on this forum. Some of them cover a large spectrum, and all of them are overwhelmingly favoring evolution. They are backed by scientific sources, facts, experiments, fossiles. But Z#1F, in his usual behavior, chose to ignore all of this and post his thought. It's not surprising considering his thread opening habbits.
Last edited by Albator on Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I think ZoddsNo1Fan believes evolution and mutation to be like some guy being able to shoot lasers out of their eyes, grows claws and heals fast, or be able to read minds.

Once he said beneficial mutation never happens, I didn't read the rest of his post. Someone later mentioned he brought astronomy into the picture, which piqued my curiousity. It seems that he has a juvenile understanding of evolution, perhaps in a high school level.

That being said, do you live in Kansas?

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Albator wrote:Thing is, Psi is awesome.
Seconded.

But I'd still like to know what ID guys/creationists say about the "creator".
Brainpiercing
Shisho
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by Shisho »

It's a fairly basic concept. People split their genes in random ways when they have children. Sometimes mutations occur. Not always good, sometimes deformities and illness. Yet let's say you get a combination of genes that makes you have a stronger immune system than most people. Then a plague happens, and all those people with weaker immune systems die. So you go on to breed your genetic composition that has a chance of inheriting the same resilience.

This really isn't happening to these degrees in modern civilizations, because we use medicine and science to extend people who should otherwise be wiped out in nature. You're blind by a genetic defect, there's no reason you can't go on to have children and pass that gene recessively or even directly.

We're going to need serious advances in genetic research in the very near future to correct all the damage caused by the breeding of terrible genetics. Otherwise everyone's going to be sickly, weak, or have other disabilities. The quality of life is on the decline. Do you want kids with organ diseases and defects? Sure you don't, but the majority of people don't really give a shit and go for it anyway because they think they have something worthwhile inflicting into the world.
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Woooh....that was one cynical pessimistic post :shock:

And, PSI, is awesome, keep it up, highly appriciate to learn some fascinating stuff.