Cow 'emissions' more damaging to planet than CO2 from cars

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

psi29a
Godo

Cow 'emissions' more damaging to planet than CO2 from cars

Post by psi29a »

http://news.independent.co.uk/environme ... 062484.ece
Meet the world's top destroyer of the environment. It is not the car, or the plane,or even George Bush: it is the cow.

A United Nations report has identified the world's rapidly growing herds of cattle as the greatest threat to the climate, forests and wildlife. And they are blamed for a host of other environmental crimes, from acid rain to the introduction of alien species, from producing deserts to creating dead zones in the oceans, from poisoning rivers and drinking water to destroying coral reefs.

The 400-page report by the Food and Agricultural Organisation, entitled Livestock's Long Shadow, also surveys the damage done by sheep, chickens, pigs and goats. But in almost every case, the world's 1.5 billion cattle are most to blame. Livestock are responsible for 18 per cent of the greenhouse gases that cause global warming, more than cars, planes and all other forms of transport put together.

Burning fuel to produce fertiliser to grow feed, to produce meat and to transport it - and clearing vegetation for grazing - produces 9 per cent of all emissions of carbon dioxide, the most common greenhouse gas. And their wind and manure emit more than one third of emissions of another, methane, which warms the world 20 times faster than carbon dioxide.

Livestock also produces more than 100 other polluting gases, including more than two-thirds of the world's emissions of ammonia, one of the main causes of acid rain.

Ranching, the report adds, is "the major driver of deforestation" worldwide, and overgrazing is turning a fifth of all pastures and ranges into desert.Cows also soak up vast amounts of water: it takes a staggering 990 litres of water to produce one litre of milk.

Wastes from feedlots and fertilisers used to grow their feed overnourish water, causing weeds to choke all other life. And the pesticides, antibiotics and hormones used to treat them get into drinking water and endanger human health.

The pollution washes down to the sea, killing coral reefs and creating "dead zones" devoid of life. One is up to 21,000sqkm, in the Gulf of Mexico, where much of the waste from US beef production is carried down the Mississippi.

The report concludes that, unless drastic changes are made, the massive damage done by livestock will more than double by 2050, as demand for meat increases.
While I haven't abandoned all beef in my diet, I have cut it down to hamburger in my meat sauces or a steak & potato meal once a month. I've been more apt to use chicken & fish meat for my meals as of late but I doubt the world would give up it's cattle consumption anytime soon.
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

that means: everyone just quit riding them cows and get into a car right now! :evil:
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

That's old news, however this one takes into account everything from the beginning to the final product. I'm not sure of the accuracy of these numbers though, I hardly see how 990 liters of water accounts to 1 liter of milk, even with including everything in the chain. I love my hot cocoa anyway.

Or you can protest by starting to stick lighters in cow's asses: firework guaranteed. You don't even have to be patient, as cows are farting machines.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Ah hah! Methane Economy here we come! Just stick a pilot light near the cow's ass and instant heat for the water supply to power our steam turbines (which obviously is how most energy is generated anyway).
Starlore
This is my new home

Post by Starlore »

In Japan a certain Waste Management company has already taken to using methane to power a portion of it's fleet of garbage trucks. They have a facility that converts the garbage brought in, into methane which is then used in the specially built or modified trucks. Pretty efficient, but then again it IS Japan afterall. No mention yet of if or when, their idea will be picked up by the majority.

...I can't believe the UN still exists. We should take all this "uber evil cow methane" & use it to nuke the fuckers...apparently there'd be enough to spare for anyone that actually misses them or tries to follow in their footsteps.

I think I'm more inclined to believe that as full of shit as the UN is, they're a considerably larger evil hah.
"Your father sucks the flaking cocks of lepers in the lowest circle of HELL!!!"

..."Does he swallow?" ~Hellblazer

"Imagination is intelligence with an erection"~Victor Hugo

"Life is a disease...Sexually transmitted & fatal"~Neil Gaiman
ZoddsNo1Fan
This is my new home

Post by ZoddsNo1Fan »

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/20 ... ergy_x.htm
An url on how cow manure can be an efficient alternative energy source.
FightClub
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Re: Cow 'emissions' more damaging to planet than CO2 from ca

Post by FightClub »

psi29a wrote:While I haven't abandoned all beef in my diet, I have cut it down to hamburger in my meat sauces or a steak & potato meal once a month. I've been more apt to use chicken & fish meat for my meals as of late but I doubt the world would give up it's cattle consumption anytime soon.
Fuck that, it's not my problem, I'll be long dead when the environment goes to hell, I say t-bone and hamburgers for everyone.
Rolos wrote:-He was born from a corpse? Has been killing (or assisting in the process) people ever since he was 5? Hahahaa...talk about having a shitty life. Its hilarious because he's not me.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

so long as you can afford it, beef isn't exactly cheap ya know.
FightClub

Post by FightClub »

psi29a wrote:so long as you can afford it, beef isn't exactly cheap ya know.
Food city card helps loads =) Think the last few t-bones I got were like two for seven bucks with the discount, nothing massive, but still doable.
Rolos wrote:-He was born from a corpse? Has been killing (or assisting in the process) people ever since he was 5? Hahahaa...talk about having a shitty life. Its hilarious because he's not me.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Kroger here with card, still I can pick up 6 Talapia steaks for about as much.

For 7$ USD without kroger card, I can get a dozen or so frozen chicken breasts.

Not saying the price is extra ordinarily high, just that in comparison to other foods you can more for your money.

Trust me, I love me my steak but at this point it is a luxury. :D
FightClub

Post by FightClub »

psi29a wrote:Trust me, I love me my steak but at this point it is a luxury. :D
Indeed, a luxury I love. And I really don't like chicken, wish you could get deer at the grocery store, now that's better than beef =)
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Agreed, I haven't had deer in a long time.

Which reminds me, the wife wants a 12 gauge for protection... could probably convince her to go deer hunting. :D