Anxious times in the cartoon underground

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

psi29a
Godo

Anxious times in the cartoon underground

Post by psi29a »

" In early December, a bombshell dropped onto one of the fastest-growing file-swapping communities online, where Nikolai Nolan has made his home for the last several years.

Nolan, a 22-year-old student at the University of Michigan, is one of the leaders of Anime-Faith, one of hundreds of groups that take Japanese cartoons, translate and subtitle them in English, and release them freely on the Net.

..."

http://tinyurl.com/5cvcp

I used tinyurl.com to shrink the url below so we don't have any horizontal scrolling.

http://news.com.com/Anxious+times+in+the+cartoon+
underground/2100-1026_3-5557177.html?part=rss&ta
g=5557177&subj=news.1026.5
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I liked this part:
the recent final episode of a series called "Battle Programmer Shirase," in which the director included an apology for having to end the series, addressed to "those who enjoy the show on TV, and to those outside the broadcast area who took special measures to watch the show on their PC monitors, and to everyone who watched it subtitled overseas without permission."
I always thought fan-subbing was a way to spread the joys and wonders of anime to foreign audiences. I think the fan base wouldn't expand with it wasn't for the groups. More than 10 years ago, nobody knew what anime was. They were still watching Scooby Doo and Flintstones, and only a minority has seen Akira. And plus, I think they would have better sells on their merch and stuff.

I just think it's ridiculous that companies like to add at least an extra billion or two dollars on lost sales. They make up an imaginery figure that is impossible to reach and also not expected to make, and they blame it on the file-sharers. SHAME ON YOU, you cavier-devouring, cuban ciger-puffing...!

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

I know I bought a few anime series that I wouldn't have if I hadn't seen a fansub of it first. Anime doesn't come out in theaters and most of it is not on tv here, so how can they expect us to throw 20+ dollars on a dvd not knowing whether we will like it or not? And rental places like Blockbuster do have anime, but they only have a small selection and its usually stuff thats 8 years old.

Like someone else on here said; The Japanese get to see it on tv for free, why cant we? Sure, they have sponsors paying for commercials that we dont have to sit through, but with things like Tivo, they dont have to watch commercials either.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

They should be thankful to to groups like anime-faith. I would never buy anime dvds if i havent started downloading anime, until 2 years ago i didn even know about anime.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Just wow.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Gaiseric wrote:I know I bought a few anime series that I wouldn't have if I hadn't seen a fansub of it first. Anime doesn't come out in theaters and most of it is not on tv here, so how can they expect us to throw 20+ dollars on a dvd not knowing whether we will like it or not? And rental places like Blockbuster do have anime, but they only have a small selection and its usually stuff thats 8 years old.

Like someone else on here said; The Japanese get to see it on tv for free, why cant we? Sure, they have sponsors paying for commercials that we dont have to sit through, but with things like Tivo, they dont have to watch commercials either.
Yeah, it was I who said that.

I liked this part:

"I think there are some Japanese companies that really appreciate fansubbing."
Fuck corporate America! They just over charge us, and tend to butcher the shit anyway! Nuff said.
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

*nods, only DVDs ive ever bought were for berserk, everything else is just an unnecessary charge up my ass
Kêthêrîc
This is my new home

Post by Kêthêrîc »

it's the same with cd's. If you buy a cd for $15.00 and there is only 1 or 2 good songs on it, you got ripped off. If you download most of the cd and you like almost every song, you go out and buy it. My first anime purchase was "Master of the Dark Twilight." It looked cool...... but it sucked ass. downloading is good, it prevents me from buying a shitty product. if i like the product, i will support the maker.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

You mean, "Twilight of the Dark Master", right?
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Thats why I support Only My FAVORITE music artists and ANIME.

http://www.thewbalchannel.com/technolog ... etail.html

http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=653

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE