US files motion to intervene in AT&T secrets case

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

psi29a
Godo

US files motion to intervene in AT&T secrets case

Post by psi29a »

source
WASHINGTON, May 13 (Reuters) - The U.S. government filed a motion on Saturday to intervene and seek dismissal of a lawsuit by a civil liberties group against AT&T Inc. (T.N: Quote, Profile, Research) over a federal program to monitor U.S. communications.

The suit filed in the U.S. District Court of the Northern District of California accuses AT&T of unlawful collaboration with the National Security Agency in its surveillance program to intercept telephone and e-mail communications between the United States and people linked to al Qaeda and affiliated organizations.

When the judicial system is being asked by an agency to not permit itself to look into a subject, you know there is something VERY wrong with this government's actions.

Even if this were really the most effective way of rooting out terrorist actions, the fact that they seem to feel they have to shield themselves from judicial inquiry breaks the accountability of such a system. Are judges and juries too dangerous for our security network now? Are constitutional protections now too restrictive for our intellgence needs?

Do we really need an unnacountable set of parasites feeding on our basic rights in order to protect us from an invisible set of enemies now? If so, does the debate about if we need these things need to be outside public consideration?
U.S. Constitution: Fourth Amendment wrote: The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
MsNomer
Mastered PM

Post by MsNomer »

The shady operations, court actions, legal and illegal activities of the US Government are fueled by a lack of attention by the citizens of this country. We, the people, are charged in this democracy for holding our government accountable and to make them answerable for their actions. Unfortunately, the general populous has assumed a position of leaving all major concerns to the "experts". They assume that these experts have their best interests in mind. We have stopped demanding excellence in everything from education to government to the media... allowing the latter to ooze from our television screens a continuous stream of toxic entertainment and opinion. News organizations used provide actual news. Today, sadly, they provide interpretations, opinions and commentary on the news... not the actual news itself. We, the people, are being led astray on a fundamental level... we ascribe this expert status, accept their opinions with authority and feel we are informed. Until this changes, we can and should expect more of the same. (change comes from within, only we can do it)
panasonic
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by panasonic »

im with u there man, today i wsa reading a newspaper and all of a sudden there were opinions in it by the writer. i was taken by surprise, considering opinions should only be allowed in editorials or qutoes, however these were sentences that spoke the view of the author.
"Education is the foundation upon which you build your entire lust for cash"-Onizuka

http://www.striporama.com/edits/main.html
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

be careful of some 'news' reporting. I've seen the same chick doing a 'report' about new ways oil companies are refining to prevent polution and the like... but it was on several different news channels, same footage but different station logo's overlayed on top.

That isn't news reporting, that is staged acting.

Colbert Report even did a spoof on that. This behaviour is outrageous.
MsNomer
Mastered PM

Post by MsNomer »

Those are canned spots... due the rise in costs for production, "news" outlets are buying prepped field reports to cut down on their costs. The big trouble with this is, these spots are prepared by marketing agencies to shine a favorable light on their client. Usually, the marketing agency is operating as the press office or press secretary for the company.

I have switched to not watching any news on American broadcast bands, including cable. I get my news from the internet... usually through German, Swedish and British news media.
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

care to share any link to such reliable news sites?
i dont usually get news outside of our government controlled mass media monopoly.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Remember to support the EFF. They want to protect your rights.
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

i signed that open letter to aol about 'email tax'.
once aol opens that door, other email providers will soon follow.
that door must never be opened in the 1st place.
psi29a
Godo

FCC Won't Investigate AT&T/NSA Allegations

Post by psi29a »

FCC Won't Investigate AT&T/NSA Allegations Because some material could be classified
In a letter (pdf) sent to Democrat Ed Markey, FCC chief Kevin Martin says "the classified nature of the NSA's activities makes us unable to investigate the alleged violations." Those violations allegedly include handing over customer phone and Internet activity records wholesale to the NSA. Markey responded to Martin in a statement:

"We can't have a situation where the FCC, charged with enforcing the law, won't even begin an investigation of apparent violations of the law because it predicts that the administration will roadblock any investigations citing national security." "If the FCC initiates an investigation and gets blocked by the White House, then the White House is stonewalling. But if the FCC refuses to even demand answers, then the White House never has to block the enforcement agency from getting to the bottom of this. The American people deserve answers."

FCC Commissioner Michael Copps recently voiced his desire to see an investigation started.
GRRRRrrr!!!!

edit: this just eats me up inside. ***** hides the innocent.
[14:21] psi29a: http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/74740
[14:21] psi29a: try this one then
[14:27] *****: back, had a plotting
[14:27] *****: it's like a meeting, but its more tied to the overthrow of the patriach, proletariot, or the ban against using instant messanger, whatever is bugging us
[14:27] *****: ahem, patriarch
[14:31] *****: my impression of the whole NSA thing is that there is a decent legal argument for it, and it had mechanisms for oversight to prevent abuse
[14:32] *****: You can argue how effective the oversight was, or tighten the laws to clearly prevent the president from conducting the NSA program
[14:33] psi29a: The 4th admendment is being violated.
[14:34] *****: Well, unless you qualify that more, it's like saying laws against concealed carry violate the 2nd ammendment
[14:34] psi29a: When the judicial system is being asked by an agency to not permit itself to look into a subject, you know there is something VERY wrong with this government’s actions.

Even if this were really the most effective way of rooting out terrorist actions, the fact that they seem to feel they have to shield themselves from judicial inquiry breaks the accountability of such a system. Are judges and juries too dangerous for our security network now? Are constitutional protections now too restrictive for our intellgence needs?

Do we really need an unnacountable set of parasites feeding on our basic rights in order to protect us from an invisible set of enemies now? If so, does the debate about if we need these things need to be outside public consideration?
[14:35] *****: They certainly have a crossing of purposes, but everything depends on the history of the law...okay let me read your discertation
[14:35] psi29a: i had already written 'bout this @ http://www.mindwerks.net :P
[14:37] *****: Let's clarify some. When you say judicial inquiries, do you mean anything outside the lack of warrant? Or are you referring to an active effort by the judiciary to get into the program?
[14:38] psi29a: The active effort by the judiciary to get into the program
[14:38] psi29a: WASHINGTON, May 13 (Reuters) - The U.S. government filed a motion on Saturday to intervene and seek dismissal of a lawsuit by a civil liberties group against AT&T Inc. (T.N: Quote, Profile, Research) over a federal program to monitor U.S. communications.
[14:40] *****: Was this the program that was merely recording calling patterns?
[14:40] psi29a: This has all come about because of our right to privacy, as specified in the 4th admendment. Specidically also the NSA charter which is monitor NON domestic communication.
[14:41] *****: There are different programs, which is why I ask. I have skipped a few days of news reading
[14:41] psi29a: that is all we really know, and they are not telling us any more than that. They have to tell us EVERYTHING.
[14:41] *****: haha
[14:42] psi29a: Hiding a 4th amendment violation behind "state secret" is not right ethically nor morally.
[14:42] *****: Transparency in spy work? Open source Intelligence Community?
[14:42] *****: that sounds a bit ridiculous, even from a pro-civil liberties stand point
[14:43] psi29a: perhaps, but I'm not going to tolerate it any longer.
[14:43] *****: Uh huh
[14:43] *****: Okay, so congress has government oversight of the program...both democrats and republicans
[14:43] *****: They are the ones who gave the president the legal ground to conduct the terrorist surveilance
[14:44] psi29a: certain participants have oversight in congress over FISA, NSA investitagations are outside of of FISA.
[14:44] *****: It's a question of taste, but it seems like giving the people who made the law the ability to see what happens and pull the plug if necessary is a decent setup
[14:44] psi29a: even though FISA rejected fast acting warrents, they where still executed.
[14:45] *****: Fast acting warrents? Must be the day or two I missed, let me give it a google
[14:45] psi29a: there are two problems, NSA is outside of FISA. The executive branch bypassed FISA's rejections.
[14:46] *****: First google result, Therabath Theraffin, fast acting heat therapy home spa
[14:46] psi29a: http://www.coxwashington.com/hp/content ... 2_COX.html
[14:47] psi29a: "The Bush administration has simply asserted that the president has the power to do whatever he wants," he said.
[14:48] *****: yeah that doesn't sound like a soundbite
[14:49] psi29a: Many legal experts disagree. They offer several different reasons for why Bush decided to bypass the FISA court in issuing the secret order four years ago and continued to resissue it some 33 times.
[14:49] *****: Fine, was hoping we could talk about it, but if we're just going to throw quotes at each other let me go find some
[14:50] psi29a: indeed... In the end, does the executive branch of the authority to bypass FISA?
[14:50] psi29a: a congressional oversight commity?
[14:50] *****: Quick bit: The Bush administration assersts that they have examined the FISA law and complied with what they understand of it
[14:50] *****: like you said, some experts disagree
[14:50] *****: which also means some experts agree
[14:50] psi29a: yes, that is why there are lawsuits flying
[14:50] *****: The point is, its a law. this happens all the time
[14:51] psi29a: because some people (including myself) believe that they are unlawfully acting against my 4th amendment rights.
[14:51] *****: If congress is appalled by it, they need to tighten up the law's language and explicitly forbid the presidents actions
[14:51] *****: but of course they won't
[14:51] psi29a: that is the problem the president (executive branch) holds veto power over congress.
[14:51] *****: no the problem is that it will hurt election year
[14:52] *****: Because most people don't have a big beef if you monitor calls that reach al qaeda operatives overseas
[14:52] psi29a: apparently 66% of united states citizens are retarded.
[14:52] *****: you can debate the theoretical justice of it, but average american sees that as being in their self interest to catch terrorists
[14:52] *****: silly people sure
[14:53] *****: you'd think 3,000 dead would convince them it's nothing to worry about
[14:53] psi29a: it burns me up man, this is something I would fight for.

[14:53] *****: neato, join a cult
[14:53] psi29a: i'll leave that to the scientologists :P
[14:54] psi29a: right, because you don't have anything you would believe in? *grin*
[14:54] *****: I think they are passing on their sacred lawsuit technology to islamic jihad, which is spiffy
[14:55] *****: : I'm saying you are getting worked up over small beans. Wait until some actual abuses occur then you can be righteous in demanding civil liberties to call al qaeda operatives without big brother checking in
[14:56] *****: : currently all it haves to it's name is foiling some plot in brooklyn or whatever it was
[14:56] *****: : not exactly the low point of the program yet
[14:56] *****: : ahem, "has to it's name"
[15:02] psi29a: i think if no one makes a fuss now, then the abuses will occure incrementally and people seem to be fine with it, over time.
[15:02] psi29a: if no one takes a stand now, who will?
MsNomer
Mastered PM

Post by MsNomer »

While there is some truth to the cliche that if you have nothing to hide then what are you worried about... I think the current administration has shown itself to be highly aggressive in its disregard for civil liberties, human rights and oversight. The president does not actually have the power to DO any of the things he has been doing that many of us find repulsive. The constitution spells out rather clearly what falls within his realm of responsibility and power.

Constitutional Powers of the
President of the United States

The President of the United States is granted these powers under Article II of the Constitution:

Powers of the President
+ Serve as commander in chief of all U.S. armed forces
+ Commission officers of the armed forces
+ Grant pardons and reprieves from Federal offenses (except impeachments)
+ Convene special sessions of Congress
+ Receive foreign ambassadors
+ Take care that Federal laws are faithfully executed
+ Wield the "executive power"
+ Appoint officials to lesser offices

Powers of the President Shared With the Senate
+ Make treaties
+ Appoint ambassadors, judges, and higher officials

Powers of the President Shared With Congress as a Whole
+ Approve legislation

And to further clarify:
The Many Hats of the President
Chief Legislator

* Vetoes bills
* Recommends measures for Congress to consider
* Gives Congress information on the state of the union

Commander In Chief

* Chief of the Armed forces
* Determines major strategies during war
* Power to declare war
* Uses military power in domestic disorder to reinforce laws

Chief of State

* Formally greets head of state
* Entertains in state dinners
* Performs ceremonial duties

Chief Diplomat

* Makes foreign policy
* Represents U.S. in foreign relations
* Makes treaties with the approval of 2/3 of Senate
* appoints ambassadors, ministers, and consuls

Chief Executive

* Appoints several thousand officials
* Supervises administration of executive department
* Takes care that laws are faithfully executed

Miscellaneous Powers

* Appoints federal judges
* Grants reprieves and pardons

Nowhere does it say that the president has the power to override congress or circumvent congress in the investigation of anything. He must "Take care that Federal Laws are faithfully executed". I do not see how this can be interpreted as having carte blanche to authorize illegal wiretaps or do wholesale reviews of who I talk to on a given day. I think his lack of understanding of the laws and powers that fall within his scope comes from his basic and apparent lack of personal intelligence.

Aditionally, I believe that it is the intent of our constitution to provide our society with the right to not be afraid of our governemnt. Our country was founded by people that were afraid of their government and so those things were taken into account when drawing up the document that was and is intended to govern us. If, by their actions, the government or a given administration, is instilling in the general population a sense of paranoia, then it seems obvious that they are violating not only our rights, but the spirit of the constitution and the values on which this country was based.
Last edited by MsNomer on Wed May 24, 2006 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elric le tueur d'amis
Mastered PM

Post by elric le tueur d'amis »

at least you can see now that you don't live in a real democraty,good luck to stand against that,dear americans.
That guy won''t give up!!
Kill him!!
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

The problem is most of the people of our nation just listen to the news BS and believe that that the president is doing nothing wrong. They can't think for themselves, and thus believe everything they are fed from someone in power, since that person is allegedly looking out for there own best interests. We as a nation need to learn to question our government and make a stand against what it does wrong, and by doing so shift the power back to the people. In reality it is something that will not happen until something really big changes everyone.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Problem is that most people understand what is going on, but won't do anything because they don't see enough people acting against what is wrong. I see it every day, people muttering, making jokes at official's expense. They won't actually protest, or anything because thus far their real-life right now is more important.

It isn't until they are personally confronted with the problems they see that they will take a stand. We don't want to be un-patriotic, we don't want to rock the boat, we want our kids to goto school, we want to see our sons and daughters come back from Iraq.

A lot of people think that making a fuss over AT&T and NSA is pie in the sky idealism, while the Bush Adminstration is getting the real job done.
Arresty
Conversation Killer

Post by Arresty »

I more or less fall in that category, but I wouldn't say that most people do. Maybe most intelligent people, but I know alot of people that believe that everything that Bush is doing is 100% morally correct, that he is doing God's work, there were WMD in Iraq, Sadam was linked to the 9/11 terrorist attacks, and so on and so on.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

http://tinyurl.com/ogzqq
DETROIT --A federal judge will go ahead with hearings in a legal challenge to a warrantless domestic surveillance program run by the National Security Agency.

U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor also criticized the Justice Department for failing to respond to the legal challenge, The Detroit News reported Friday.
Looks like someone 'gets' it.
MsNomer
Mastered PM

Post by MsNomer »

And with any luck, someone's gonna get it.
Daedelus
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!
Location: This Island Earth! (Can be yours, if the Price is Right!)

Post by Daedelus »

psi29a wrote:http://tinyurl.com/ogzqq
DETROIT --A federal judge will go ahead with hearings in a legal challenge to a warrantless domestic surveillance program run by the National Security Agency.

U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor also criticized the Justice Department for failing to respond to the legal challenge, The Detroit News reported Friday.
Looks like someone 'gets' it.
In a semi-related note, I almost sat on a jury for that judge a couple weeks ago. She seems like a pretty level-headed woman and hopefully she can bring some sanity around.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

source

NEW YORK, July 25 (Reuters) - The U.S. government, citing national security concerns, on Tuesday sued Missouri officials for demanding that AT&T Inc. (T.N: Quote, Profile, Research) disclose whether it gave customer data to the government's spying program.

Missouri Public Service Commissioners Robert Clayton and Steve Gaw, state utility regulators, had served subpoenas to AT&T Missouri and its affiliates in June amid speculation over their involvement with the National Security Agency.

The government's civil suit, submitted by the U.S. Department of Justice to a district court in Missouri, said the state officials' attempts to obtain the information from AT&T and its affiliates were invalid.

"This court should therefore enter a declaratory judgment that the State Defendants do not have the authority to seek confidential and sensitive federal government information and thus cannot enforce the subpoenas they have served on the telecommunications carriers," the suit said.

The federal government has also sued the New Jersey Attorney General who also subpoenaed AT&T over the issue.

An AT&T spokesman declined to comment. In May, it said it has an obligation to assist law enforcement and other government agencies, but could not comment specifically on national security issues.

USA Today reported in May that AT&T, Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ.N: Quote, Profile, Research) and BellSouth Corp. (BLS.N: Quote, Profile, Research) gave the NSA access to their call data so it could secretly analyze calling patterns to detect terrorist plots.
Does this may anyone else pissy?
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

At this point, all I can really say is lol america.

What will you zany folks think of next?
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

The saga continues...

ZoddsNo1Fan
This is my new home

Post by ZoddsNo1Fan »

psi29a wrote:be careful of some 'news' reporting. I've seen the same chick doing a 'report' about new ways oil companies are refining to prevent polution and the like... but it was on several different news channels, same footage but different station logo's overlayed on top.

Actually they are trying to move to Methane deposits as their means of natural gas. There's several decades worth of it still in the ocean floor.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

psi29a wrote:be careful of some 'news' reporting. I've seen the same chick doing a 'report' about new ways oil companies are refining to prevent polution and the like... but it was on several different news channels, same footage but different station logo's overlayed on top.

from a business perspective that makes perfect sense. why would you hire ten journalists to do the job that one could do, especially when one parent corporation owns all the different stations. if you look into it you'll notice that its usually a parent corporation that owns all the different kinds of stores. for example, i believe one parent corporation owns barnes and noble, borders, and walden books.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

ah, the point is that it is not journalism, it is staged acting. they should do press releases and letting journalists pick it up if they want to. these companies are paying news stations to push their content that looks like news but isn't. so, what you are seeing is in fact not journalism, it is a press released dressed up as 'breaking news'. It is unscrupulous and I for one will not trust them.

if you can't see how wrong here, then perhaps you need a lesson in civic responsibility.

Now, the whole reason I necroed the thread was because of the video i posted involving at&t and how it is reforming into one entity after a decade of regulation due to monopolistic tactics.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

ah yes, i missed the "the oil business is disguising its agenda as news" aspect. however, if one journalist wrote a piece for a news company that controled several different stations in different areas, i don't see what would be wrong with showing that single journalist's reporting on the different stations with their different logos. while if the single piece was merely corporate advertising, then yes i agree with you.

While this is the merging of a former monopoly, it is no longer a true monopoly. if you look at the other carrierscarriers, you'll see that this is actually appears to be Oligopoly (though there are a much larger number of carriers i didnt bother to look at how large all 16 competitors are) consisting of AT&T, Verizon, Sprint nextel, and Qwest. Albeit this would be an unbalanced oligopoly
Last edited by MrFelony on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

hehe, until we can't stand it any more and we regulate it again and break it up. The problem was that there was only one company and it was very hard to enter the market and that company was able to charge whatever it liked.

We have two telecommunication providers now, at&t and verizon. Who knows how long that will last. Cable providers rely on these two network's backbones to connect to the rest of the world (Internet). Level3, Cognet, and other tier1 providers travel along at&t and verizon's backbones. So, voice over IP (analog phone calls anyway) all travel over US's two companies.

This raises certain issues as at&t is known to route it's traffic to the NSA, as shown above. So your choice is Verizon for peace of mind, which isn't too comforting considering it is matter of time for it is bought by at&t as well.