Newbie Berserk Discussion Thread

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

actually, i like the model of gutz...hah what a misspelling... being compared to Gambino's dog and Gambino to Griffith. i could probably write up some interesting stuff on it but instead some interesting comparisons.

Gambino and griffith both lose their women (his wife and his casca) to Guts. both have names that start with G(well so does guts :roll:). both take in guts and shortly after, he is the cause for them losing their women. guts kills gambino and metaphorically kills griffith. guts flees from both after doing so and strived to gain acceptance from both griffith and gambino. both were great warriors and leaders (proportional to guts' strengths i guess).

Guts and the hound have their servitude in common with their masters. a dog is man's best friend, but the fact that he is a dog will always separate them, just as Griffith status and beliefs separated him from Guts. too lazy to actually further this (and i have to go). my english teacher probably woudla eaten this up.

EDIT moved
halfnhalf wrote:old or not w/e

http://disneyberserk.ytmnd.com/

BERSERK!!!

Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

:idea: Ready or not, here's something I want to know your ideas about!
I haven't seen this ever discussed here, but I might have overlooked.

This is related to the cultic item of Berserk the Dragon Slayer.
I have reread Godo's story about it, but I still doesn't make much sense to me (except why he doesn't want Guts to find it). My concept seems so lame, that I don't even dare mention it. :oops:

I mean:
- why was it created?
- what was it used for and by whom?
- why did they want to hang him?
- how was it connected to the king's sickness?

Let's see, what ya got!
:smoken:
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Here we go......

Why he created the sword, to kill a dragon that had been pestering a kingdom or it was a contest between smiths to see who could make a sword that would kill adragon in one strike.

It was used to slay the dragon in one strike but who knows the person who used it.

Why they wanted to hang him is still a mystery, but after GODO won the blacksmith award I bet he got drunk and sodomized all the women he could find. :lol:

For one I dont think it is the same king, and two the king sickness was brought on by griffith.

So there you go not all the answers but close.
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

Interesting, but just not enough. :?

Godo starts the whole story with the king getting sick. Yes, it's surely not the same one. Minus one for you...

But the whole "make me a dragon-fucking blade" thing had it purpose, if a dragon WAS slain.

Godo also says that he made the sword mostly becouse he was the only one around, so it was probably not an open tender.

As for the women...well...erm...could be, but he was the last person in the whole manga (besides Judeu or Ricket (well, he IS alone in the woods with a girl now :wink: , so I'll skip it)) I would consider a rapist. Besides, he does have a granddaughter, so he ust have been a family man. But...what the heck, it's possible :twisted: , but dull idea nevertheless.
I think there is something more to it.

Thx anyway Sandman! :thumb:

C'mon people, give me more. My idea is stating to look better, but I just don't want to throw it in yet.

Work those minds! Don't be scared to look it up (it was volume 14 I guess)!

Where's a conspiracy theory?
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

weeeell. I think godo refused to let the king/dom use the sword. dont remember the chapter or have that volume anymore :x. but from what i remember he might have come close to despising the sword for what it is, the Hydrogen bomb of swords. If he was afraid (or didnt want) to tell guts about the sword, then why would he continue to let the kingdom use it. so after threatening to hang him, Godo had little choice but to let them use it.

or maybe he wielded the sword himself and a great catastrophe came from it. or no one was able to wield it adn the king died :shock:
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

That's good thinkin'. :D
But it still doesn't bring us closer to the idea and motivation behind the Dragon Slayer.
And what about the Dragon?

It was really good, keep it comin' guys! :thumbsup:

:kekeke:

Could it be, that Godo accidentally dropped the D. S. on the king's...foot?

I wonder if it was in Minland, or Godo is a foreigner. If there was some major mess in history, there could have been some sort of reference to it in Midland. Or is it top secret?

I still won't let my theory loose upon you, I wan't to know what the forum hotshots come up with. :twisted:

Surprise me!
akari
Found the Edit button

Post by akari »

I thought that king ordered Godo to make a sword powerful enough to kill a dragon. But when Godo made Dragon Slayer, no human being could use it, so king was pissed and wanted to hang him. But he died not long after.
- it's a guess. I don't remember that conversation.

(which chapter was it? - obviously I desperately need to refresh my memory :wink: )

..........!!
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

well I thought godo wasnt the only one making a sword for the king..well at least i thought i remembered that in the anime or manga Godo said all these other smiths made these elegant swords that looked nice but were unable to do anything. dont make an analogy (or w/e) and point out the similarities of Guts relationship with human kind and the Dragon slayers relationship with sword kind and all that jazz. i dont have the time :P. i like your making us try to work for it since either wise ideas would stagnate :D. though your idea better be pretty fucking good if you even have one :shock: :P :twisted:

wow ok you got me thinking. at first i was gonna make these comparisons

dragon=griffith
dragon slayer=guts
king=skull knight? ergo sk dies? :shock:

but then i thought about it a little more and decided to go with dragon=midlands initial enemy during the band of the hawk years.
dragon slayer still=guts
Godo= will also have to be guts for now
king=griffith. he was unable to control guts and dies. and then tries to kill him by sacrificing him but fails.

all i can think of since im already running 2 hrs late! go procrastination :D.

EDIT#3: the first set of comparisons is post-eclipse model. its a lot more complicated if you try to think of comparisons and those are all flawed
Volyund
imanewbie

Post by Volyund »

Godo did say that the dragon slayer was used to slay that dragon, but he didn't mention how... I mean Guts is the only one who can swing it around... And if someone (human) did kill a dragon with it I wonder who it was.
Wakizashi - Japanese Short Sword worn only by Samurai next to katana.
evilester_me
This is my new home

My theory...I had way to much time to think about this

Post by evilester_me »

I agree with MrFelony. Nice foreshadowing, I re-read the series recently and realized that the manga is full of it (despite the author saying he writes is as he comes up with ideas). But I think that the whole sword story could be applied to past events too.

Dragon Slayer=Band of Hawks but mostly Guts
Pretty little swords=Other knights
King=King of Midland
Godo=Griffith

Okay, So Godo created the Dragon Slayer just like Griffith creates/put together the Band of Hawks. The other small swords are the other delicate knights who couldn't even begin to measure up to the Band of Hawk's (or Dragon Slayer's) power. In the end Griffith was to be tortured for a few years then killed and Godo was to be hanged by the power of the King. In the end, the King dies in both stories. Also, if you consider the Dragon Slayer to be Guts then no one can wield him, not even the one who "made" him how he is (like Godo can't wield the Dragon Slayer).
As for the Dragon, I think that just represents the threat in the story as the time. For example, in the beginning it was the kingdom who oppossed Midland in the 100 year war but it later became Femto (who should not be confused with Griffith, they are very different characters).
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

:holycrap: Aha...
Good points there!

I wasn't thinking in this whole foreshadowing dimension, so I bow before your ideas :worship:
In reality I just wanted some help to put the Godo story together.
I mean, I was positive it had some significance.
Otherwise it would have gone like Godo telling Guts:
"Hey hotshot, take glimpse at this buttfuckin' bitch. It used to be my surfboard, but I ain't usin' it anymore. So what the heck, take it for a trip you blockhead, it is just as dull as you are." (hope noone got shocked at this point, Godo always talked to guts like he was an i... :censored: ...mmature person). And would also add: "By the way I live here in the middle of nowhere becouse I'm a smelly old annoying bag of bones."

:roll: And yes I do have a theory of my own, but :oops: not that sophisticated as any of yours. But I am happy that you have owerwhelmed me. :thumb:

I'll take some time to gather my thoughts and post them here, so BEWARE.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Skullkracker wrote:I'll take some time to gather my thoughts and post them here, so BEWARE.
Heh, interesting.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

Eldo wrote:Heh, interesting.
Sure will try not to dissapoint you then, Eldo.

My ideas were originally not THAT interesting, and I often stumbled upon some logical contradiction :stupid: , but the posts I have seen here did give my fantasy a kick. Well, here goes nothing, here's what I have got:

First of all, let's see what we know:

:arrow: Godo is a whiz, when it comes to weaponry. I assume, that what he had in store was built during his exile <-- he claims he could barely escape, so I doubt he took the time to rescue his stock. I'll return to this point later (but still can't help wondering what happened to his relatives). He invented all that stuff, becouse it was what he was used to, his life.
Conclusion: he must have been quite an asset for any kindom.
I mean he could even give disabled warriors artificial limbs and stuff, and other medievil weapons of mass destruction.
:kekeke: (wonder what he could give a knight who got shorter by a penis...cannon-balls?)
Ok, so there must have been a serious reason for anyone wanting to get rid of him.

:arrow: The Dragon Slayer was made and used to do what it was destined to do. Since Godo said he never knew how that happened, he wasn't the one to do that. (He was "only" a badass blacksmith, not a warrior after all, but I am sure he was able to handle it, after all he had well built muscles even at his old age, surely part of his job.) So it was used, but did get back to Godo, who had it even in his stock in the forest.
Conclusion: he brought it along... :sweat: Sounds trivial, but since he was escaping from death, it must have been of great value to him, OR he DID use it to sweep aside anyone in his path.

( :? Shit this is gonna be long)

Let's see the rest: real dragons probably exist or did exist in the Berserk universe, after all, why leave dragons out, when we have all types of other creatures. There was probably a beast that had to be taught a lesson. My original concept was that this dragon was maybe an ... :roll:...apostle.

Godo starts the whole story with the words: the king got sick. I can't help believing that this wasn't physical, rather some emotional or mental disease.
Let's start from this point:
:!: Maybe the king was scared like shit (--> stress, paranoia), becouse some monster was terrorising the kingdom. Or apart from it all, he simply could have gone mad.
There might have been a warrior (wonder who) that was hardcore enough to take the dragon head on, but needed a bigger slicer...blah blah... Well, dragon slain, what now?
Maybe the king was too afraid of what weapons Godo can create...but as McFelony brought it up, maybe Godo never wanted to part with his masterpiece.
Or, there were more dragons, wanting to avange their dead. So, it was kind of a solution to sacrafice the ones responsible: Godo, and the unknown warrior.
Or, if the dragon was an apostle: it may have turned out that the occasionally rampaging beast was someone close to the king, whose death had to be avanged.
What could be more of a dramatic story: the apostle was the king himself.
He made a deal with the GodHand, but he realised what power they offered too late. He was too good to succomb to his monsterous nature and eat humans, and went on starving. Feeling that he can not handle it, he ordered a weapon for his bodyguard, that would stop him for good once the demon inside took over...blah blah...once he was slain, he changed back, and noone believed the story -->Godo suspected of taking part the royal murder. It is never mentioned however, that the king died then.

:!: As for the outcome, Godo did get to lay his hands on the Dragon Slayer once again. I suspect that his fear of unleashing it upon the world again comes from a troubleing memory: He had to use it aginst the soliders who wanted to arrest and execute him. Maybe it happened when he was arguing with the king about surrendering the sword to him, and they lost their temper, which led to some tragedy.

Well, these are my thoughts on the topic of how the Dragon Slayer came to exist. Sorry if I aroused too much curiousity for something not that bright.
:mrgreen:
Hope noone will kick my ass for writing so much.

Any comments? :D
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Skullkracker wrote:Any comments? :D
The post was too long.

I read it though, it was longest 3 minutes of my life. I can't really comment on the background story of the Dragonslayer, since I never bothered researching and don't really care much for it.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

I don't know exactly but I thought Godo made that sword 'cause the king wanted to kill the dragon with it to get honor and then Godo killed the dragon and the king got upset.
Can't remember it exactly I'll look it up later.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

well i guess we will never know...since you know...Godo died...Image
akari
Found the Edit button

Post by akari »

OMG the cow :shock: ... again. What's with that cow? It got drunk or something? it should go back to "spell check world" :wink:

..........!!
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

Eldo wrote:The post was too long.

I read it though, it was longest 3 minutes of my life. I can't really comment on the background story of the Dragonslayer, since I never bothered researching and don't really care much for it.
:wink: Yep, just what I expected to find...:pwned:

To be honest, I am a bit surprised noone really cares, after all, Berserk just wouldn't be the same stuff without that big slab of iron designed for slice&dicin' demons...

But I learned my lesson :stupid:, I'll be more brief next time.
And hey, :twisted: I'll be back with more topics!
I'm still curious though...may one day this question be answered!
:smoken:
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I don't really understand where the confusion lies? Goto said the sword was built to slay a dragon, but that was just a metaphor. He reveals after Gatts takes the sword, that really the sword itself is the dragon, and no man could slay it, because no one could wield it. This is why he was banished from the kingdom, by defying the nobles and making such a huge sword that none of them could use. I guess it pissed them off.
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

Hail the one who talks green! :worship:

I was really hoping that would make your voice heard sooner or later, Starnum, your comments and ideas are usually very good.

To answer your question: it was probably my effort to put all the details together into something of actual sense.

Well I must admit that I am too lazy to search the chapter again, but I guess that so is everyone else. Most reasonings neglect some part of the story. :?
I still am unable to fully accept any of these metaphoric approaches, but since it's exam period for me (I shouldn't even bother to post, but I'm bored out of my own cracked skull), my mind is C8=X, I am in no condition to understand everything irrational.

I have to say that the only thing I don't agree with in your version, that Goto should be glad that someone came along tough enough to wield that giant of a sword, and show all the other pussies how it's done.

Anyway I guess this topic is running off the track, so I'll move over to other threads to ease troubled my mind.

Maybe I'll start one of my own if I come across something more worthy of discussion...

Thanks for all the posts everyone! 8)
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

heh i wish i had the manga so i could have actually caught that :D. i wish i never deleted from my comp for space. after all whats more important than berserk!...other berserk chapters heh :P
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

Now that's a shame...

But even I deleted the anime (except my favourite episodes) for the sake of more space...if I knew I would be off the source soon, I would have burned it on a damn dvd...

Well, at least I still have all the manga...
Ayanami
Dirty Sennin

Post by Ayanami »

My Berserk manga collection has just vanished all of a sudden. I find it very odd. I thought I put it on my comp after I wiped it, but I could be wrong I guess.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

i've actually bought the anime...one at a time and then i go adn see the bundle for a shitload cheaper >.<. but i can always redownload the manga somehow...
Skullkracker
Dirty Sennin

Post by Skullkracker »

Ayanami wrote:My Berserk manga collection has just vanished all of a sudden. I find it very odd. I thought I put it on my comp after I wiped it, but I could be wrong I guess.
:holycrap: That is nightmare material!
I think we all learned a valuable lesson here, that everyone here should know:
:twisted: Keep a regular eye on your Berserk manga collection folks! :shock: It's good for you...

The last time sth dissapeared from the computer was when father deleted the game I've been pushing for a week then (V:TM:B :twisted: ). Boy, was I pissed! It really sucks to have to use the same computer as my parents...