Newbie Berserk Discussion Thread

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

Newbie Berserk Discussion Thread

Post by Femto »

Are you tired of hearing "this has already been discussed before" over and over? Tired of wanting to voice your opinions only to realize that most of the members here have already heard them before?

Well, this thread is the place to let them all out. After the latest "first post/new thread" situation in this forum, I've realized that newbies don't really have a place to talk about Berserk theories without getting slapped in the face by older members for talking about something that has been discussed months earlier. It's one thing to search the forums for a specific topic, but it sucks when you missed your chance to take place in a particular discussion. That's what this thread is for, our new members are free to join in and talk about whichever Berserk topic/theory they want and older members will let them speak freely. I'm sure there are some older members that would be willing to partake in the discussions too, and who knows, some interesting theories might arise.

We'll let this thread be for a while and we'll see if it's worth keeping around.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

okay well first, hax can you cite what Shierke says about the wound guts received? If im not mistaken, it was a wound to his astral body that must be causing him a huge amount of pain he is sorta just shaking off... but notice that it hasnt really been treated and his condition has deteriorated so much.
Shade
This is my new home

Post by Shade »

hahaha..
Thats all too true.
This was probably the best plan of action. And it fixes things for the future.
Awesome Femto.
:thumb:
~http://www.thecenternetwork.com/forum/~
hax
imanewbie

Post by hax »

I really got no problem with this resolution.

Anywho, I can't give you the translation at the moment - that volume is on another computer. But I pretty much agree with what you said, MrFelony. I also remember that Serpico ( think it was him) commenting that Guts had lost weight. I'm guessing it's nowhere near healed, I was just throwing a "what if" out there. And since this is a new thread, the what if was: if Guts' etherreal wound heals, will the Beast still exhibit the same amount of control and presence in the armor?
Last edited by hax on Wed May 25, 2005 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Knowledge is power, power is corruption. I am absolutely corrupt and I corrupt absolutely
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I dont think you need to put spoilers here. If your in the berserk forum without having caught up with berserk then shame on you.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
hax
imanewbie

Post by hax »

you got a point there.
Knowledge is power, power is corruption. I am absolutely corrupt and I corrupt absolutely
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

this is just like the stupid therioes topic... so why make another one?
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

halfnhalf wrote:this is just like the stupid therioes topic... so why make another one?
Because these are not stupid theories. :wink:
misuru
notanewb

Post by misuru »

i thought the first time we really see the Beast is the time when Casca gets raped by those travelling guys. This is when Guts is contemplating whether Casca is even worth protecting anymore, and we see the beast in his mind ripping Casca to shreds (as he takes a good bite of her boob).

This happens way before Slan's wound and the Berserker armor. So I don't think it has an effect at all. The Beast inside of Guts is his primal instinct, rolled up with a good heaping tablespoon of hatred, anger, and fear. I don't think it is a demon that lives inside of him in any literal sense. it's an aspect of himself; probably the Berserker part of himself. Guts has always been kind of a Berserker, and adding more hatred, betrayal, fear, etc made it into something more corporeal (the Beast incarnate).
hax
imanewbie

Post by hax »

While Guts has always been a tad on the, shall we say, violent side, The beast only started forming when he pushed himself to ignore his humanity to become "a monster in order to fight monsters" The Beast was truly made a part of him because the brand has connected him to the astral realm.
misuru
notanewb

Post by misuru »

Actually, I thought it was less about the brand than it was about his entire life being destroyed before his eyes by the one man he respected the most.

I'd take "best friend raping my girlfriend, killing off all of our mutual friends (all 300 or so of them), all of whom trust you, 2 days after I saved your ass from abysmal hell"

over

"the brand of sacrifice connected me to the astral plane!"

as a reason for having a psychotic, homocidal alter ego personified as a Beast, any day.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

I still say that the beast is an incarnation of Guts' desire to be like Gambino's dog. It's all about surviving and using whatever mechanism you can find to continue living.

I think we are all missing the point, if Miura wanted us to know what the beast inside Guts really is, then he would have told us. Right now, I think he is like "cool... let 'em think about this". It can mean many different things, or it could be little bit of everything.

Still, there are certain things you can look out for like SkullKnight's armor... makes you think that SK has an inner demon inside himself as well that was personified by the armor. So with that line of reasoning, it means everyone has an inner demon. It just so happens that Guts' is particularly badass. :D
hax
imanewbie

Post by hax »

That's a really goot point about Gambino. I never thought of it like that, but it makes too much damn sense.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Should this thread be a sticky? Maybe add a poll on it?

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

should be sticky, so it never falls out of the newbies view

dos shall make it a sticky. sticky no jutsu!
Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

Dos created a new Jutsu, bah and it has no "sexy" in it. :P

I don't agree with the Gambinos dog theorie, but I like hellhounds I think Miura did it all for me. :P
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

This thread is a very good Idea for once I will be able to bring up old news and try to put a new spin on it.

First of all the wound seems to let guts's rage flow with less resistance which makes it easier to transform into the berserker. Second Gut is getting drained by the armor, there is no stopping it if he wears it to much all the things that the skull knight said on the beach will come to pass. Third it could very well be that Guts admired Gambino's dog and so that is what he wanted to be.... man's best friend.

Here is a couple of observations:
when Charlotte is talking about the tower of rebirth Mirua shows Gaiseric then it shows Guts making the connection between him and the Skull Knight. Also Slann calls him you majesty in the troll cave.

What was up with all the branded corpses, I thought that the apostles eat the sacrifices why are there still corpses? Any way when god sent angels to destroy Gaiseric's Kingdom he sent 5, not four like is said at SkullKnight.net. So if those 5 angels where the god hand which one either died or got reincarnated so that there would only be four? I hope Mirua goes into more detail about this when Guts and SK have another sit and chat.

I know there is more I can say but I will save it for later.....
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Sortep
n00b eater

Post by Sortep »

actually it was corrected by muira in the same chapter... the princess had said "he sent 5 angels" and judea said "i thought it was four"..... it could be the other way around.. i dunno i'm tired and dont feel like looking... :stupid:
Bow to Golbez
hax
imanewbie

Post by hax »

not so much a correction as something to make you wonder ;)
misuru
notanewb

Post by misuru »

Is it his desire to be Gambino's dog, or because he's the Alpha Wolf after kicking all that Wolf Ass as a kid?
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

That would be cool to see Guts running with a pack of wolves, but from the drawings the beast is defenitly a dog and it looks pretty close to the one drawn for Gambino after he loses his leg.
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

That Wolf idea would be really cool, I like wolves. But as I said before it's most likely what I would imagine as a hellhound.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Nice idea Femto. *Nods*
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

the difference between guts and Gambino is that Guts tried to break away from his master (Griffith). and would be viewed as the equivalent of a rabid dog. but instead of a dog he is a hellhound cause a future godhound wouldnt keep a dog as his "best friend" :P
Necromancer
Dirty Sennin

Post by Necromancer »

MrFelony wrote:he is a hellhound cause a future godhound wouldnt keep a dog as his "best friend" :P
Wordplay?
Godhand/Godhound? :P

Another difference between Guts and Gambino, Guts has losed his beloved woman but she's not dead yet.