Newbie Berserk Discussion Thread

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Re: Newbie Berserk Discussion Thread

Post by Istvan »

Starnum wrote:
Istvan wrote:I agree that it's a great name...but does anyone else get the feeling that it also really needs an entry in the "You know you've read too much Berserk when" thread? Or is that just me?
Heh, I already made that joke in that thread long ago. So yes, that's how you know when you've read too much Berserk, when you name your offspring after one of the characters. XD
Oops. My bad, I forgot. Good job Starnum, this is exactly as I would expect of you!

On a side note, I guess this means I fail the test for a "You know you've read too much Berserk when you have the entire YKYRTMB thread memorized" nomination?
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

You know you've read too much Berserk when you chastise other members for not having the entire YKYRTMB thread memorized.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

YKYRTMYRTMB when you post YKYRTMB things in other threads.
quanjose
imanewbie

Post by quanjose »

second season?
Image I KILL YOU
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

No.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

all miura said was it was possible, which means almost nothing coming from a man that takes this long to produce a chapter.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

The Herald wrote:all miura said was it was possible, which means almost nothing coming from a man that takes this long to produce a chapter.
Also, "possible" does not mean "likely."
eldur
notanewb

Post by eldur »

A second season is secondary stuff, the main thing is solving the manga plot. If we can reach that day, then we'll have the happiest time of our lives.
...untill we realize that we have nothing more to do than wait for the anime/movie or other stuff.
Maybe then we will go and get some methadone for the abstinence. Or maybe we wont be able to replace berserk and we'll mail our drug seller (miura) till he gives us more.
warrxior
imanewbie

Random question...

Post by warrxior »

Hey, this is kind of a strange thing, but I was wondering if anyone knows at what point either Griffith (or it could be Guts, maybe) finds a small toy knight? Thanks.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

This is a better place to post your question, rather than making a new thread. To answer your question, Griffith finds a toy knight on the battlefield after that boy who had decided to follow him had died in battle. That part is shown in a flashback when Casca is talking about Griffith's devotion to the Band of the Hawk. It's when she's explaining why Griffith slept with Gennon, I don't remember the exact chapter or volume number though.
Born_Loser
notanewb

Post by Born_Loser »

eldur wrote:A second season is secondary stuff, the main thing is solving the manga plot. If we can reach that day, then we'll have the happiest time of our lives.
...untill we realize that we have nothing more to do than wait for the anime/movie or other stuff.
Maybe then we will go and get some methadone for the abstinence. Or maybe we wont be able to replace berserk and we'll mail our drug seller (miura) till he gives us more.
Well. If the day ever comes, and they finall resolve/end Berserk, I'll probably just go back to one of my previous obsessions: Phantasy Star.
Or maybe start a war about how Final Fantasy 8 is deeper than any of the others. Or tell a bunch of bleach fans how much Adult Swim sucks. Getting the Rabid Bleach Fans and the Rabid Inuyasha Fans at eachothers throats is always a pleasure to watch, especially when you get the ones in there acting like they like both shows, and then pick one side over the other. There is also that weird obsession with Ninamori from FLCL I have. It's not a complex, it's love!
So let the girl, let that girl rock 'n roll! Cities on Flame now.... with rock 'n roll!
While the passing of Berserk(in the far distant future) may leave a void in our lives, we need to find something to fill that void with. Doesn't matter if you fill that void with ManFaye, or the lesser known ManYuna, as long as you fill it with something. The size and hariness level is purely your choice. I'll probably forsake cigars and become a chainsmoker burning off 20 packs of cammels a day. I might even get back into martial arts and finish that training I started. No methodone for me though. I've walked the route of addiction before, and I'll cut my eyes out before I go through withdrawal again! I'd rather get abducted by aliens and have them preform experiments on me and then hand me over to the Vampires to munch on before I ever go down that path again. I would rather get into a political debate with someone of my exact opposite ideology and equal stubborness before that.
I've had practice with losing my favorite show. I fell in love with Firefly, and had my hopes and dreams dashed against the rocks of Cancellation. Now, unless I like these stupid home-maker shows, or those nerdy cop shows(that get everything wrong), I'm pretty much stuck watching cartoons. I would rather watch re-runs of Roseanne before those dumb crime drama shows. The only show I actually try to watch anymore: Malcolm in the Middle. I know it's old, but I like it. Dewey is my favorite. He's almost as smart as Malcolm, and easily as mean as Reese. He locked his own dad in a miniature golf course with a wild racoon. Tell me that kid isn't clever and malicious ?
So, you get the point of my long winded thread ? I'm sorry I can't type with less words. IRL I am a very quiet person, and only say rational coherent and very pertinent things, so when I get on here, I tend to go overboard. I also have a problem with using overly flowery language with girls I like. When I talk, they look at me like I'm crazy. Since when do girls not like being compared to the smell of the grass after a cool summer rain ? Since when ? God I should have been born 200 years ago.
"Never dance with a girl who's older brothers have knife scars." - Matrim Cauthon
tsubaimomo
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by tsubaimomo »

Born_Loser wrote: God I should have been born 200 years ago.
Thats about 200 years too early for Berserk... But hey, we could just as well wish we were born in Berserk-land.

Hmm that gives me an idea, what if everyone from the EG forum magically transported into the Berserk world. With the worlds now merging and monsters running about, we would have to stick together to survive. We could even band together to form the... Band of the Evil Genius (BOTEG). Of course, we'd have to pick who would be our leader, the "Evil Genius" so to speak. I suppose we don't need a leader since we'd all follow around Guts trying to see what he's up to, but you can imagine how that might annoy him a little... ok... well this isn't going anywhere really, time to stop.
Born_Loser
notanewb

Post by Born_Loser »

That's a good thought. I always wondered what a 12 gauge, or an AR-15 would do to a demon. You think it would hurt them very much ? Gutz little arm cannon would probably be about the equivalent of a 10 gauge, or an 8 gauge, and we see how much damage that does. If i were there, enemy commanders would be a thing of the past, and then Gutz forces could take major advantage of the confusion caused when their leaders start sprouting holes in their heads. I don't think demon armor could stop a 5.56. We're talking thousands of pounds of pressure on a single point. Although, for demons, I'd probably want something bigger, like a 7.62 NATO, or even better, the 30.06. Problem with the 30.06, is since it's no longer a military round, it's more expensive, and you can't carry as much ammo. I can carry about 500-1000 rounds of 5.56 without much hinderance. So the question is, would 5.56 kill demons, or merely wound them ?
"Never dance with a girl who's older brothers have knife scars." - Matrim Cauthon
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

tsubaimomo wrote:
Thats about 200 years too early for Berserk... But hey, we could just as well wish we were born in Berserk-land.

Hmm that gives me an idea, what if everyone from the EG forum magically transported into the Berserk world. With the worlds now merging and monsters running about, we would have to stick together to survive. We could even band together to form the... Band of the Evil Genius (BOTEG). Of course, we'd have to pick who would be our leader, the "Evil Genius" so to speak. I suppose we don't need a leader since we'd all follow around Guts trying to see what he's up to, but you can imagine how that might annoy him a little... ok... well this isn't going anywhere really, time to stop.
I predict we'd all be very, very dead in short order. Although Born Loser has a point about how awesome modern guns would be against demons (assuming we knew in advance we'd be teleported, and so had time to stock up on them) sooner or later (probably sooner given the number of monsters running around since the world shifted) we'd run out of ammo...and then we're toast. Unless someone on this forum thinks they can wield a sword at the level of Guts? I didn't think so.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

I used to think like that....until I gave the matter a little thought. The past SUCKED. It really did.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
papasith

Post by papasith »

living in the past probably means being piss poor as a peasant and living only slightly better then hobos live now adays
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Rolos wrote:
I used to think like that....until I gave the matter a little thought. The past SUCKED. It really did.
Agreed. No decent medicine/doctors, terrible food, no airconditioning (and poor heating), no internet/TV, and let's not forget no flush toilets or toiletpaper. The past sucked, and in so many different ways.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Girls 200 years ago wouldn't even be able to understand most of your flowery language anyway.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Born_Loser
notanewb

Post by Born_Loser »

Istvan wrote:
Rolos wrote:
Agreed. No decent medicine/doctors, terrible food, no airconditioning (and poor heating), no internet/TV, and let's not forget no flush toilets or toiletpaper. The past sucked, and in so many different ways.
I have to disagree. It wasn't that bad. I'd have been a Mountain Man. Dangerous life, and hard... but the level of freedom was great. You could have steak EVERY night if you were good enough. Rabbit and Squirrel are also amazing dishes.
Of course, the whole being murdered and scalped by indians was a big negative, but I would like to direct you to Daniel Boone and Simon Kenton. There is a saying, "Few white men could play the indian game better than the indians. Boone and Kenton did." Plus, it was also entirely possible to become friends with the indians, and even adopted into their tribes. That means.... indian girls! *grins* They had this ritual where a family could adopt you into their family, and the rest of the tribe.
In the case of Kenton, once he was captured, and before burning him alive, they made him run the Gauntlet. He almost always tried to escape during these, but they would literally beat him into unconciousness. When he woke up, they made him run it again. He probably ran it over 2 dozen times, and almost escaped a few times as well. They were so shocked when he took off running and jumped over their line they almost didn't catch him once. However, he ran it so many times, and was beaten so badly, they actually began to respect him. So, when they finally did decide to just burn him alive, one of his old friends came to the rescue.
A man named Simon Girty, who was another white man who'd been adopted by the Shawnee, stood up and said he was his bloodbrother(and it was true, they made a blood-pact). This caused a big uproar and an emergency council, and then it was decided that for Girty's sake, Kenton would be adopted into the tribe to replace a son who'd been killed by the white men. Kenton used his new freedom to escape, LOL.
Anyways, didn't mean to ramble on like that. I could've talked about Blue Jacket for the same effect. Were i born 200 years ago, I wouldn't be a pesant in a city reeking of filth, but a native american roaming the plains and hills. Or maybe paddling up and down the Ohio river looking for white people to scalp. Nah, I would have been more like Chief Logan. He was a peace loving man, but when the last of his family was murdered by Jacob Greathouse, he swore revenge: for every member os his family murdered, he would murder 10 whites.... and he actuallly did settle the score. He was very wise, men from different tribes, and even some white men would come to him for advice and counsel.
Anyways. Life 200 years ago just doesn't look bad to me. I already don't use doctors, and TV back then would just distract me from the amazing view of the stars.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Wow, ADHD does manifest in forum posts.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I love technology too much to wish to be in the past. Now an alternate dimension in a medieval type world where magic exists, that's totally different. I don't know if I'd want to go to the Berserk world exactly, because I'd actually like to live long enough to learn something new, and that place can be pretty brutal sometimes. If I did end up there, I'd seek to learn magic as quickly as possible. Learning magic from Schierke and improving my sword skills under Gatts would be ideal. In a place like that, I wouldn't have video games and anime to distract me, so I'd have nothing better to do than to become the most badass magical swordsman I could become. :P
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Starnum wrote:I love technology too much to wish to be in the past. Now an alternate dimension in a medieval type world where magic exists, that's totally different. I don't know if I'd want to go to the Berserk world exactly, because I'd actually like to live long enough to learn something new, and that place can be pretty brutal sometimes. If I did end up there, I'd seek to learn magic as quickly as possible. Learning magic from Schierke and improving my sword skills under Gatts would be ideal. In a place like that, I wouldn't have video games and anime to distract me, so I'd have nothing better to do than to become the most badass magical swordsman I could become. :P
“Until a man is twenty-five, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial-arts monastery in China and studied real hard for ten years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, and devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad.
Starnum used to feel this way, too, but then he ran into Gatts. In a way, this was liberating. He no longer has to worry about being the baddest motherfucker in the world. The position is taken.” source

Sorry could not resist :D

Anyway, I too am much too attached to various technological gadgets to consider living in the middle ages. Yeah sure, being an Adventurer going from one cool story to another, having the sweetest women inbetween, and all that stuff that comes with being a protagonist, would completely rock, and I would gladly trade my rather normal life of today for something like that. I'd never want to be in the world of Berserk though, and neither would I want to live in our actual middle ages. They plain out sucked if you weren't some sort of aristocrat son. The sort of adventures we love to read about probably didn't happen in the real middle ages. Sure it would be thrilling to go on a huge adventure like our heroes do, but when you think about it, getting stabbed in the stomach by a random passerby who thought your shiny looked... shiny, and slowly bleeding to death for the rest of the day after having your stuff stolen... not so thrilling indeed. And probably happened a lot in the real middle ages where a mans life wasn't worth anything if he wasn't some kind of aristocrat (and even then...)
papasith

Post by papasith »

middle ages =/= fantasy middle ages

still the only way i would want to is if i could somehow be associated with some form of magic. that would be badass to be able to use real magic. otherwise it would kind of suck
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

The only technology i would miss would be fast printing books, being able to buy books of fav authors. Reading a book,manga,comic. I would miss gaming too only because Metal Gear Solid :lol:

If i lived in middle ages i would want to live in africa,with my own people who were and still are in few procents nomads who are happy with a huts,goat,camel.

No reason to dream middle ages europe you would be like an alien with black skin :o
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran