Berserk - 2016 TV Anime (Premieres July 1st)

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

bhaal
imanewbie

Re: Berserk - 2016 TV Anime (Premieres July 1st)

Post by bhaal »

Berserk blu-ray vs TV version:
https://youtu.be/A1RBp3oTLIA

There is no point of comparison between the cgi Erika and the draw one.
Don't fear the darkness until you see what light can do.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Interesting... I probably will not pick up on this till later but it will be worth it :twisted:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hell yeah, that looks dope. I was already planning on getting it on Blu-ray, but that makes it even better.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Berserk for Christmas... Santa always knows what I like :twisted:
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

So the question now is, where's the US release? I heard they're making an English dub for the japanese blu-ray, so... give it to me.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Voldo
imanewbie

Post by Voldo »

somefatman wrote:
Voldo wrote:Only watched the first episode. It sucked, even more so than the crappy movies. It's another shallow adaptation with no depth, no structure, an ugly animation and even a white-washed Casca to top it all off..
If you only watched the first episode, I don't see how you could be qualified to make such sweeping remarks about the character of the whole show. If you even read only a quarter of the posts in this thread since the show started airing you would see positive feedback from the rest of us after the first 2-3 episodes (which were admittedly somewhat bad partly due to animation, partly due to story though I can understand the reasons for the story changes).

Was it the new anime everything it could have been? Honestly, it was not but it was still good and if they are moving forward with the second season it must have been successful. It is so easy to sit back and criticize what was wrong instead of celebrating what was right. I sometimes think if the 90's anime was released today we would all be sitting here complaining about the filler episodes and how they cut out Wyld instead of praising it and holding it up as the standard to which we judge all subsequent adaptions.

And I really have absolutely no idea what the fuck you mean by a white washed Casca.
Here's a good review that goes more in depth to why this adaptation is bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6kVU8uNdic

I don't care if some episodes are possibly good enough to be called mediocre. Mediocre is still not good enough for a worthy Berserk adaptation. Yeah, it's easy to critizise because it's a fucking terrible adaptation. Seriously, it's like some people are praising it and pretending it's good just because it's Berserk. You come off as the worst type of fanboys. Watching this anime for me is watching something I love get mistreated, and I just can't do that. It's not enjoyable.

Obviously the old anime was meant to be released in the 90's, as it was, not today. They cut out much of the stuff that had no relevance for only the Golden Age arc, such as Puck, and they has to prioritize since only a certain number of episodes would be made to fill it all in. The old anime has depth, atmosphere, amazing japanese voice actors, an animation that is faithful to the manga and is overall very well made. There's no comarasion to the 2016 bullcrap adaptation. That's just my opinion however.

Casca is white and has red hair in this adaptation. Do you know what white-washing in movies and TV means?

What Casca is supposed to look like vs. what she looks like.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Tell me more about this white washing: http://i.imgur.com/GUVs51u.png

That guy is as clueless about the rest of the episodes as you are. It's not "in-depth" if you don't watch all the episodes. By the time he posted that video, only 5 episodes had been released, and he only used clips from the first 3 episodes, so I don't even know if he watched more than 3.

I don't consider the 2016 anime to be mediocre, but I agree it's not perfect. I've already said what I think of it here, and you can compare my opinion with the others just by scrolling back on this topic, so I won't repeat it. The first anime wasn't that great either, though, it ended on a huge cliff-hanger (this is the reason why I wanted to read the manga, cause I hated that ending so much), it was full of zooming in on still images (almost every battle is a still image), frame-skipping on some action scenes to cut back on all the drawing they had to do; and very grainy, washed out colors (we didn't get the cleaned up images until the second DVD release, so pretty much everyone got used to how the first batch looked). Cowboy Bebop came out just one year after the first Berserk anime did, and the art and animation quality was tremendously better on Cowboy Bebop, so even compared to other animes of the time, Berserk 1997 wasn't even a "top 10" in terms of quality.

Give the 2016 anime a chance, much like you did the 1997 a chance.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Voldo
imanewbie

Post by Voldo »

If the first episode makes me puke my balls out, there's no more chances I will give, sorry. Especially not since at least the next 3-5 episodes seem equally terrible.

I will keep waiting a good Berserk adaption, like the one from 1997.
bhaal
imanewbie

Post by bhaal »

Voldo wrote:If the first episode makes me puke my balls out, there's no more chances I will give, sorry. Especially not since at least the next 3-5 episodes seem equally terrible.

I will keep waiting a good Berserk adaption, like the one from 1997.
The 1997 anime is good ... if you look at it through rose colored glasses of nostalgia, if not, both 1997 & 2016 are equally bad or good, up to your taste.
Don't fear the darkness until you see what light can do.
Voldo
imanewbie

Post by Voldo »

bhaal wrote: The 1997 anime is good ... if you look at it through rose colored glasses of nostalgia, if not, both 1997 & 2016 are equally bad or good, up to your taste.
Comparing the two is like comparing The Phantom Menace to the old SW-trilogy. There's a clear major difference in quality, in my opinion.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Ok, here's a difficult question, and I make this to anyone that cares to answer, not just Voldo:

Had they continued the 1997 anime into a second season and, with the exact same quality as it had in its first season, told the exact same story (beat by beat) that they had in the 2016 anime (let's call it the Fake Season), would it be significantly better? Would you think the Fake Season to be better than the 2016 anime with that alone?
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

War Machine wrote:Ok, here's a difficult question, and I make this to anyone that cares to answer, not just Voldo:

Had they continued the 1997 anime into a second season and, with the exact same quality as it had in its first season, told the exact same story (beat by beat) that they had in the 2016 anime (let's call it the Fake Season), would it be significantly better? Would you think the Fake Season to be better than the 2016 anime with that alone?
Um. Not really a fair comparison. Part of what made the 1997 season so good was that they did a VERY good job with the plot/pacing/story elements in the adaption. One of my complaints with the new 2016 anime was that the plot felt really rushed, and many things were skipped or not developed well. I encountered the 1997 anime first - it's what got me into the manga- but I would NEVER recommend the 2016 anime to anyone who wasn't already a fan of the manga, because I doubt they could follow/enjoy it very well.

Mind, any adaption has to cut a lot of things (the 1997 season certainly cut plenty) but you have to do it in such a way that the story you are telling is still a coherent, well-structured whole, and I felt that the 2016 season failed at that. I understood why they were skipping so much, trying to cover a lot of ground, but it didn't feel well done to me.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Voldo wrote:Comparing the two is like comparing The Phantom Menace to the old SW-trilogy. There's a clear major difference in quality, in my opinion.
Starwars is shit, gtfo. Legend of Galactic Heroes, get the books, read them, watch the anime. Now that is what a fucking epic space opera is supposed to be.
Istvan wrote:Mind, any adaption has to cut a lot of things (the 1997 season certainly cut plenty) but you have to do it in such a way that the story you are telling is still a coherent, well-structured whole, and I felt that the 2016 season failed at that. I understood why they were skipping so much, trying to cover a lot of ground, but it didn't feel well done to me.
Not only did '97 version skimp on the details, it skimped on the whole fucking project. The camera doing panning shots of coloured manga panels, saves on animating. There were so many of these moments that it dragged everything on. You might call it pacing or 'reflective', I call it filler. The reason it worked was that they saved the supernatural shit for very special moments and the end which gave a climax and a big payoff. The rest of the story was very dark/low fantasy, which works and is a reason not to include skullknight and puck.

Lightening doesn't strike twice, the cat is out of the bag and they can't do the 1997 version all over again with the '16 series which is fine. The story is going forward, and thankfully it isn't a reboot/retelling. For this I'm glad, I'm glad we get to see more of the story. I'm actually glad it got made and I'm going to keep watching it.
Voldo
imanewbie

Post by Voldo »

psi29a wrote: Starwars is shit, gtfo.
Not really, gtfo.

Star Wars is Miuras all time favorite movie. Fun fact.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nDzg-F_09M

Now that I have seen this you better believe I am getting it when it comes out... nipples :twisted:

And it is not only that some of the pans and tilts are different even some of the animations look different... better in my opinion :twisted:
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Voldo wrote:
Not really, gtfo.

That doesn't make Star Wars great, it just makes Berserk worse by association.

Repeat after me, "Star Wars is shit"... and you should feel bad for fan boy-ing it.

How many films are they going to make that revolves around a fucking round object, ranging from between a moon and planet in size, that blows shit up. Is that all the writers have? The only saving grace was Ep. 1 - 3 when they tried to tell the "Big Bad"'s back-story, and even then it was fucked by bad acting.

Have you even read or watched Legend of Galactic Heroes? It also has an empire! Oh and guess what? No fucking death-star/planet and no fucking magic.
legato
Found the Edit button

Post by legato »

In my opinion creators underestimate the power of Voice Acting and music, the '97 anime isn't a great anime, but it did get the atmosphere right.
If you (like me) have played the 2004 or something Berserk videogame on PS2 you know what I mean, it feels like a right continuation of the anime, while it's basically just a hack n slash game it does progress the story that was started in the anime and it feels like a real sequel, I can't say anything about what could have been, I think this current/new anime does some things right and some terribly wrong. Replacing the cast is the worst decision they ever made.

Hajime No Ippo is in a way quite similar, they started around the same time and have that '90's anime style, they stopped and came back 3 times, each progressing the story and they don't lose the atmosphere, the new season even though they even change studios at least once, doesn't feel like it's completely different. They kept the main voice actors in the game, this is very important and IMO biggest mistake they made with Berserk.

Metal Gear Solid V is arguably the best game in the series, yet I hate it. It's completely different because they replaced the main voice actor, even though one might say the replacement guy is a lot better, it doesn't feel right to me.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

So it is official second season of berserk to air April 7th 2017 !!!!!! :twisted:

Proof: http://www.fandompost.com/2017/02/27/se ... iere-date/

I found it looking for a drop date for the first season blu-ray release in the states... anyone know anything about that?????????
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Nice...
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

psi29a wrote:Nice...
Haven't been on in months and all we get is "Nice..." WTF... :evil:

JK

its ok psi29a you are probably one of the few original creators of this forum that still look at it... I have scared them all away ahahahahahaha

Most people probably go to reddit now for their berserk stuff but fuck that I will stay true to EG till it goes away... which I hope never happens :worship: :worship: :worship:
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Reddit is just the commercialized version of 4chan (or any other chan). A sort of crowd-sourced aggrigator / forum, which is fine. I'm surprised that it generates revenue for them.

Yes, I too have an account there... and yes I post just as much there as here, including Berserk. ;)
https://www.reddit.com/user/psi29a

Most of my time is spent over here:
http://openmw.org including their forums, and here: https://github.com/psi29a/

That being said, I still help keep EG humming along. Kicking the tracker when it shits itself, updating software in the background and bothering Arke when things really get bad. ;)

We've been going for what... 12 years? Not bad. So long as Miura breathes, I'll do my best to keep this place alive. 8)

Yes, I'm very much looking forward to the new season. :)
Voldo
imanewbie

Post by Voldo »

psi29a wrote:
Voldo wrote:
Not really, gtfo.

That doesn't make Star Wars great, it just makes Berserk worse by association.

Repeat after me, "Star Wars is shit"... and you should feel bad for fan boy-ing it.

How many films are they going to make that revolves around a fucking round object, ranging from between a moon and planet in size, that blows shit up. Is that all the writers have? The only saving grace was Ep. 1 - 3 when they tried to tell the "Big Bad"'s back-story, and even then it was fucked by bad acting.

Have you even read or watched Legend of Galactic Heroes? It also has an empire! Oh and guess what? No fucking death-star/planet and no fucking magic.
Hahaha, you say I'm fanboying while you are praising the trashy piece of garbage that is the new Berserk anime? LMAO.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

WOW cant believe I missed this rant... and now I am walking away before I have to separate you two with cold water :twisted:

ANY WAY SEASON 2 IS ON LINE AND THERE ARE TWO EPISODES ALREADY!!!!!!!

Better get that premium account thru Crunchyroll :twisted:
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Watched the first 2 episodes. Feels like the animation has improved slightly and, dare I say it, the Zodd vs. Guts fight was pretty good in places.

I still hate how they're rushing through content and not letting characters breathe but I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

Hai Yo, motherfuckers.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

I second that the animation is looking better, Zodd fight was awesome except for the shaking camera they did to make the fighting look more intense... made me a little sea sick but all in all good fight :twisted: I am not sure I like the way they made his claws look and the wings but I guess its just me :evil: Did they show zodd losing his horn??? that was one of the coolest parts of the manga I hope they did and I missed it, if not I am going to be very pissed :evil:

I liked how they did the hell hound with it being little with a little voice then it got bigger and the voice changed that was awesome... cant wait to see how they do the bandits rape attempt on casca then guts forcing himself on her with the whole hell hound persona :twisted:

Things are looking up I would say, don't care if you don't like it.... shit could be animated with stick figures and I would still watch it and applaud whoever it was that made it cause fuck I know I couldn't do any better.

Edit: Watched the part were she gets bit by guts and it was animated well but fuck hell man stop fast forwarding thru the series and just give us a second to appreciate the art and moment stupid producers and from the looks of things they are not going to show the rest of the part were Griffith shows up and meets all the apostles... if they don't I will be disappointed... I guess I already am but like I said before will watch it anyway... Got a guest pass for Crunchyroll.com if any one is interested pm me your email address... must have over a hundred post ;P