Berserk - 2016 TV Anime (Premieres July 1st)

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Re: Berserk - 2016 TV Anime (Premieres July 1st)

Post by Sandman »

Double post I know

But I got away with it... $43.97 in stead of $64 they fixed the price shortly after I posted the last one :lol:

Hope you all got on the band wagon :twisted:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Triple post :shock:

SO it is amazing difference in quality to the show... of course I have upgraded my TV to a 4K 55" 60hrz and 7.1 surround sound head phones with playing it on the xbox with xbox sonic is AMAZING... still has the issues of story and pace... although they might have a couple of add-in scenes not to sure... and the nipples don't hurt either :twisted:

Downside: American voice acting is off for some of the characters, but I will just switch to Japanese audio... they have to bring back the original voice actor for Guts and stop saying Casca the way they do :evil: ... almost as bad as the last air bender and the way they were pronouncing the name, takes me right out of the scene cause I got to think about it... not a lot of extras but that's ok see how it go the limited for the same price as the regular :twisted:

All in all worth the money... if you guys want to learn more... GO BUY IT YOUR SELFS... damn dirty pirates :twisted:
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah I plan on getting the bluray sometime soon. How do they pronounce Casca? If it's with a hard A, then it's correct. Like casket, right? It's a roman name, so it should be said like Cassius. Almost none of the names are Japanese. However some people want to pronounce it with a soft a sound, like Cah-sca, but unfortunately that would be wrong. If you listen even the Japanese voice actors use a hard a when saying her name. As for the original VA for Guts, he's the best, but the new guy is pretty good too.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Casket one :evil: its like a southern draw thing... and the voice actor is no where near as good... either that or the director didn't care when writing the English version of the script... read the manga and put the words from the manga directly in the fucking anime is that so hard :evil:

That's it I am going to FUnimation and demanding the job to review and green light Berserk related content... I will even volunteer :twisted:

#MakeBerserkGreatAgain2018 :lol:
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well I was curious so I just went and found a clip of the English dub and they were saying her name correctly. That's what I was saying before, it's pronounced with a hard A, like in the word Casket. I did some research into the matter when I named my daughter, lol. Pretty much all the names in Berserk are real, so we know how they should be spoken in their original language. Casca is not a Japanese name, so it would not be pronounced with the soft A that we become accustomed to. If you listen closely, even the majority of Japanese voice actors pronounce it with the hard A. Now, that doesn't mean the English voice acting was good, but they are saying her name correctly. For some reason I was thinking of the Japanese voice actors for Guts when I said the new one is good too. I still like the original better tho. The new English VA sounded pretty bad, lol. Anyway, I need to get on with the ordering of those blurays. XD
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I actually got a minor in linguistics, so I can tell you the International Phonetic Alphabet's (IPA) transcription of Caska's name you're using:

[kʰæska] (How Starnum probably says it)
[kaska] (How a Japanese person would probably say it)

[æ] is the Near-Open Front Unrounded vowel, and it appears in English in words like "cat" [kæt], "bat" [bæt], "rat" [ɹæt], or as you've already said, "basket" [bæskɪt].

[a] is the Open Front Unrounded vowel, and it's a little bit harder to pin-point in English, because it doesn't appear that often. The most common example is in the word "hot" [hat] (click here for example), but people in the west of the US, like me, usually say [hɑt] with an Open Back Unrounded vowel instead (which appears in words like "rot" [ɹɑt], "bot" [bɑt], and "stalk" [stɑkʰ]), so it's hard to show this example to people sometimes.

The other thing there is the [k] sound (called Voiceless Velar Stop) which I wrote with an aspiration [kʰ]. In English, words that begin with a [k] are aspirated, in that there's a little bit of air rushing out after pronouncing the [k] and before pronouncing the following vowel. But it's not aspirated if it appears elsewhere (hence why the second [k] wasn't aspirated). Although I'm not quite sure of this second rule I made up, it's probably not so universal; it's just that I don't hear it in the word "Caska".

Anyway, I agree with Starnum's reasoning on why Caska's name is most likely [kʰæska] or something closer to it, but I would need to know exactly where and when it comes from to conclude more precisely.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

I will capture the audio and post it tomorrow.

Didnt mean to make such a fuss over it its just the little things :twisted:
Voldo
imanewbie

Post by Voldo »

I think this is the best video I've seen so far to summarize the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMPQqYAAxg0
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Final got around to ordering the Bluray for season 1 (2016). It's a world of difference in quality from the TV version, to say the least. If you wanna show the new anime to your friends, you need the Bluray version for sure. Granted the dub sucks, but that's what subs are for. ;)

Oh, and they say Casca correctly, but they call Farnese (Far-nay-say), lmao.
Jn183
imanewbie

Post by Jn183 »

The blu ray definitely better. Too bad they went a bit fast in season 2. With that pace season 3 pretty much not going to happen now.

Or I am glad they went fast with season 2 for me to see the berserker armor and schierke.. Now it seems season 3 is not happening.

Too bad, while I was looking for season 3 update, majority of what I see are complain and such. Most Want to start all overall again. If when Dark Horse was selling Berserk manga like hot cake couldn't get Berserk a new 26ep season, then at this point I was just happy.

I am 33 and I was into Berserk when I was 15. Without season 3, I will just keep waiting for the chapter to piles up for few more years before I start reading again.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Starnum wrote:Final got around to ordering the Bluray for season 1 (2016). It's a world of difference in quality from the TV version, to say the least. If you wanna show the new anime to your friends, you need the Bluray version for sure. Granted the dub sucks, but that's what subs are for. ;)

Oh, and they say Casca correctly, but they call Farnese (Far-nay-say), lmao.
Right on glad you jumped on the train instead of the pirate ship :twisted:

I hate the way they say both of the names :evil: I always pronounced Farnese as Fairness which I know is wrong but it sounds good in my head :twisted:

I am glad that you think the dub sucks Ishidoro was probably the only voice I liked.... and puck and Erica and Godo... well there are a couple that were fitting but the emotion was not there or off putting.

Hope season 2 comes out soon ish and season three can wait till someone gets their shit together and starts for the beginning again... fuck I wish this could come out in chronological order just like the manga... wish in one hand shit in the other see what one fills first :evil: