Berserk - 2016 TV Anime (Premieres July 1st)

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

psi29a
Godo

Re: Berserk - 2016 TV Anime (Premieres July 1st)

Post by psi29a »

Voldo wrote:Hahaha, you say I'm fanboying while you are praising the trashy piece of garbage that is the new Berserk anime? LMAO.
Remove the over-inflated head from that social justice warrior ass of yours and re-read what I've posted in this thread about 'the new Berserk anime'.

Here, I'll even spoon feed you the height of my praise:
http://www.evil-genius.us/forums/viewto ... 00#p141434

Maybe, just maybe you'll realize that you fucked up. I'm not holding my breath.

Now, are you actually going to get into why Star Wars isn't shit or are you going to keep shit-posting?
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Still cant believe you don't like Star Wars, fucking lightsabers come on man... Knights of the Old Republic RPG video game was amazing you didn't even need to be a jedi... The lore and back story of the Sith vs Jedi one of the coolest conflicts I have ever read about... Monsters, aliens, if that is not fun I don't know what is.

Not trying to persuade you to like it just saying you are missing out.
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

I've played X-Wing vs. Tie-Fighter, SOTE and Dark Forces. I enjoyed them for the game-play as the stories were kinda meh. KOTR has been on my list for awhile but just never found the time nor the willingness to play through. As I said, I find the stories pretty bland.

Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

:LOL:

I get it, its not for everyone but KOTOR was the first RPG that gives you the choice between good or evil, its worth a play thru or two to see what is different.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Sandman wrote:I get it, its not for everyone but KOTOR was the first RPG that gives you the choice between good or evil, its worth a play thru or two to see what is different.
Isn't that the problem? The world isn't about good or evil and anything running with that theme is just piss poor story telling. Running the risk of Godwinning my own comment here, by taking the good vs. evil mantra, you are labeling things as 'evil' and should be destroyed thus removing any thinking in the equation. You've reduced the 'evil' to the enemy and doesn't matter if the enemy does anything good, they are 'evil'. This is the basis of reification, or objectification of a living being... removing their humanity and making it easier to hate them. This is one of the HUGE reasons why Star Wars is shit, the 'good' rebels vs. the 'evil' empire. It's piss poor story telling. Berserk gets a pass in that it uses the Idea of Evil as the engine by which things are made evil, but that things are only 'evil' because it is wished into existence by humanity's subconscious. It means that in the initial state there was no such things as 'evil' in that world.

Switching gears here... by the 1990s you had Daggerfall (and Arena for that matter) that allowed you to be whoever you wanted to be. You wanted to roll play a serial killer, by all means. You could complete the main quest or not and do your own thing. Followed up by Morrowind (2002) for example for an even better RPG experience. The Elder Scroll's mythology is as huge as it is deep, which is impressive given that they never even attempted to define what was 'good' or 'evil'.

Then you have the stories of Icewind Dale, Boulder's Gate, Planescape Torment, Neverwinter Nights and more that all were before KOTOR... so to say KOTOR was first in anything other than a "Star Wars RPG" is just flat out lying.

Don't get me wrong, KOTOR remains on my list as I've heard enough good about it to give it a try. That is how I got hooked on Dragon Age...
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

ok ok so it wasn't the first but it sure as hell seemed like it to me. The only RPG experience I had ever had before then was Phantasy Star, Final Fantasy and other Square Enix games where you were always the Good guys (got to remember that I grew up without a computer or a video game store or internet till about 2001). So that being said I get that Good and Evil is a matter of perspective, I didn't see any other perspective then "good guys" till I was an adult.

Do you want to kill people? Yes. You are evil. Would you kill people if they got in your way? yes. You are evil. Are you going to argue star wars sucks on a thread about Berserk 2016? Yes. You are EVIL ahahahahahhahh JK.

There is a new episode out and it looks like they are switch back to where all the apostle generals are showing up to meet Griffith :twisted: I haven't watched it yet but that is what it looks like.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Thanks for letting me know, I Haven't watched them yet. ;)

Ah, jRPGs... I was a console gamer in the 80s and early 90s. At the time, the story behind the original Final Fantasy was paper-thin but you went with it because it was fun to play if you liked that kind of game. Smash anything that tried to kill you. During that time I also played Dungeon and Dragons with others, which was more verbal. If you had a good DM, then you had more ways to accomplish the same task without having to fight and get rewarded for it. ;)

I do admit to being an ass by committing arson against a Tavern as a way to lure people out of the building while we swooped in to liberate them of their vital state secrets. So in order to protect the realm from being invaded by their neighbor, we had to burn a tavern down to prevent the information from getting out. The DM rolled with it. Doing a bad or 'evil' thing for a great 'good' does exist. :)

How would you handle a situation where in order to figure out the identity of a dangerous up-start aristocrat (who is plotting a coup) you had to make a deal with the devil? Say that this devil lived in a crypt and turned out to be an ancient vampire with 5 other vampires. The offer is that you lure at least 6 people into the crypt over the next month for them to feed on, at the end he would reveal who this 'aristocrat' really is along with evidence. If you refuse, you're allowed to leave but not to return without being killed in sight. The other option is to attack the vampires, but you'll surely die.

You have three choices, the worst solution is leaving because the aristocrat will attempt a coup that could end up costing the lives of thousands. The 2nd worst is attempting to kill the vampires but then you'll die. Even if you somehow 'win', you'll not know who the aristocrat is nor have the evidence needed to have him arrested.

Your only real 'choice' is the dirty one of helping end the lives of 6 people and the ancient vampire will always have that wicked smile on his smug face.

You own it. :) It makes for good character development that adds depth and perhaps adds an additional hatred to all things undead and/or manipulative.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Point taken... I have not played D&D but have heard about it being played an sounds fun although I don't like playing by the rules. :cool: I like how you described the scenario it makes sense... although you forgot option number four drop MOAB on them :twisted:
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Sandman wrote:Point taken... I have not played D&D but have heard about it being played an sounds fun although I don't like playing by the rules. :cool: I like how you described the scenario it makes sense... although you forgot option number four drop MOAB on them :twisted:
D&D doesn't have a lot of rules, use your imagination and the DM has to allow it. MOAB is a possible option, but perhaps you want to play some Rifts. ;)
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Rifts sounds interesting, kind of like a fallout pen and paper game sounds fun, I hear there is an online version as well

Going to Start a Berserk 2017 Anime thread in hopes that people will post there thoughts and comments although I already know what they are going to say :evil:
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Honestly, in the scenario presented, I'd probably leave and look for another solution to the aristocrat problem. As for Rifts, it's fun, but can be overly complicated IMO. Granted, I've only played that one a few times, but I distinctly remember the character creation taking a long time. Then there's the various types of damage to keep up with and what-not. Personally, I prefer D&D or one of my own home-brewed games. Speaking of which, I love sharing old D&D / RP stories. Maybe we should start a new thread. Would anyone else be interested in something like that?
Voldo
imanewbie

Post by Voldo »

psi29a wrote:
Voldo wrote:Hahaha, you say I'm fanboying while you are praising the trashy piece of garbage that is the new Berserk anime? LMAO.
Remove the over-inflated head from that social justice warrior ass of yours and re-read what I've posted in this thread about 'the new Berserk anime'.

Now, are you actually going to get into why Star Wars isn't shit or are you going to keep shit-posting?
Since when is being critical towards the worst anime ever made mean that you are a "social justice warrior"? Why do you want this discussion to be about Star Wars so badly? I've never heard anyone call SW shit before, so it's not like I'm the one with an odd opinion. It's one of the most celebrated, most popular and groundbreaking sagas ever created, and you act like people who like it, including Kentaro Miura, are weirdos...

You are the shitposter here clearly. Butthurt shitposter beyond belief.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Voldo wrote:
psi29a wrote:

Since when is being critical towards the worst anime ever made mean that you are a "social justice warrior"? Why do you want this discussion to be about Star Wars so badly? I've never heard anyone call SW shit before, so it's not like I'm the one with an odd opinion. It's one of the most celebrated, most popular and groundbreaking sagas ever created, and you act like people who like it, including Kentaro Miura, are weirdos...

You are the shitposter here clearly. Butthurt shitposter beyond belief.
"Worst anime ever made" is a stretched asshole if I've ever seen one. But I agree that the new series aren't great and the manga deserves better. Though I am just happy seeing my favorite manga animated and I hope someday it will get the justice it deserves.

The bible is the most popular book ever. That doesn't mean that it isn't shit and the story-telling isn't horrible. I love Star Wars, I grew up with it, it's a part of me; but it isn't a great story. Lucas himself said he copied the heroes journey and set it in a sci-fi theme. It's boring, basic good vs. evil and doesn't reflect the complexities of human nature. It is a good story for kids.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Voldo
imanewbie

Post by Voldo »

Gaiseric wrote:"Worst anime ever made" is a stretched asshole if I've ever seen one. But I agree that the new series aren't great and the manga deserves better. Though I am just happy seeing my favorite manga animated and I hope someday it will get the justice it deserves.
It looks like it was animated by random high school kids for a school project. And considering it's source material is a masterpiece, it only makes it look so much worse. Like mixing together some delicious chocolate ice-cream with fresh strawberries and somehow making it literally taste like feces drenched in vomit... that result is a mind-blowing failure.
Gaiseric wrote:The bible is the most popular book ever. That doesn't mean that it isn't shit and the story-telling isn't horrible. I love Star Wars, I grew up with it, it's a part of me; but it isn't a great story. Lucas himself said he copied the heroes journey and set it in a sci-fi theme. It's boring, basic good vs. evil and doesn't reflect the complexities of human nature. It is a good story for kids.
You might not think it's great, but the movies being groundbreaking, incredibly influential, winning many Acadamy Awards and having high places in cinema history, those are facts. The Phantom Menace however, most people think is shit, and I agree.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Finally got a release date for the Bluray copy of Season 1... January 16th 2018... man that must have been a bunch of work to dub..... hope Season 1 equals both 2016 and 2017... but I doubt it :evil:
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

As shitty as the series was, I'm tempted to pick up the blu-rays. I've seen the comparisons and it looks like they've improved some of the animations, but the directing still sucks. It is a hard decision; I want to show support for the animation of the series, but I think it deserves better.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
ximbary
notanewb

Post by ximbary »

Gaiseric wrote:As shitty as the series was, I'm tempted to pick up the blu-rays. I've seen the comparisons and it looks like they've improved some of the animations, but the directing still sucks. It is a hard decision; I want to show support for the animation of the series, but I think it deserves better.
You think it is shitty and it deserves better but you still want to support it? Seriously? :shock:
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

ximbary wrote:You think it is shitty and it deserves better but you still want to support it? Seriously? :shock:
What's the alternative?
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
ximbary
notanewb

Post by ximbary »

War Machine wrote:
ximbary wrote:You think it is shitty and it deserves better but you still want to support it? Seriously? :shock:
What's the alternative?
The alternative is to let the original anime adaption finally die in peace and to finally stop milking the dead cow.

IMO having no adaption at all is better than having another shitty CGI adaption.

I don't think they deserve any financial success given the horrific quality of the product they delivered.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

ximbary wrote:
Gaiseric wrote:As shitty as the series was, I'm tempted to pick up the blu-rays. I've seen the comparisons and it looks like they've improved some of the animations, but the directing still sucks. It is a hard decision; I want to show support for the animation of the series, but I think it deserves better.
You think it is shitty and it deserves better but you still want to support it? Seriously? :shock:
Yeah, like I said, it is a difficult decision. I don't want to support the horrible adaptation, but I do want to show that there is a desire to see all of the manga animated.
ximbary
notanewb

Post by ximbary »

Gaiseric wrote:but I do want to show that there is a desire to see all of the manga animated.
You have to decide for yourself. Do you want to see all of the manga animated in CGI?

Certainly not a hard decision for me.

And btw...

Hate to be that guy but... Winter is here.. Where is Chapter 352? :)
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

ximbary wrote:Hate to be that guy but... Winter is here.. Where is Chapter 352? :)
You are a month early.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

ximbary wrote:
The alternative is to let the original anime adaption finally die in peace and to finally stop milking the dead cow.

IMO having no adaption at all is better than having another shitty CGI adaption.

I don't think they deserve any financial success given the horrific quality of the product they delivered.
So the reason I asked that is because there's nothing to do here. At best you can elect to not buy the episodes when they come out, but nothing really changes after expressing your opinion online. I mean, I assume we all watched the anime through torrenting, so it's not like we're supporting anything anyway other than saying that the anime is passable.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Man I can't even remember the last time I torrented something, lol. Nope, mainly online streaming these days. For Berserk, I think it was Crunchyroll. Anyway, to each their own. It's not perfect, but for the most part I really like the new series. Can't wait for the next season and to buy the enhanced uncensored version on Bluray. I feel like people are overly critical of things, especially when it's online and the popular opinion, but again, to each their own.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

The destined time has come :twisted:

Glad it comes out a day after payday so I have the 43.97 to purchase it... I would feel a lot better if I could just give it directly to Miura :twisted:

and if you act now on amazon the limited edition is the same price as the regular edition!!!!! I pre ordered it to save $30 :twisted:

Someone is going to lose there job over this one :lol: :OWTH: