New Anime, Manga Now an "Irregular Series"

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

brunoafh
This is my new home

New Anime, Manga Now an "Irregular Series"

Post by brunoafh »

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... man/.96773

Finally, an adaptation of material beyond the Golden Age arc. I fear that it will be more bad CGI movies from Studio 4°C, but we won't have to wait long to find out as the promo video should make it pretty clear whether or not it's them.

Not sure what is meant by "irregular series", but I'm taking that to mean Berserk has finally moved into a state of indefinite hiatus. I don't think we're ever going to see this thing come to an end.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Re: New Anime, Manga Now an "Irregular Series"

Post by LordMune »

This isn't the first time Berserk has been labeled as "irregular" in Young Animal. Most recently a notice was printed on the final page of chapter 336, I assume it's a label they slap on everything that they do not have/expect a set-in-stone release schedule for. Berserk was not labeled as such during its monthly run, as it appeared regularly but not in every issue.

I do not think it means we will necessarily be seeing more or more severe hiatuses than we have in the past. Which, admittedly, is a pretty low bar.

p damn excited about that anime project tho
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

It seems better than Studio 4°C's work, or at least they spent a lot of time on this still promotional image:

(large image) http://berserk-anime.com/core_sys/image ... ain_bg.jpg

These seem to be the official website and twitter for the new Berserk anime:

http://berserk-anime.com/
https://twitter.com/@berserk_anime

And there's this clue to who's working on it at the bottom of the website:
© 三浦建太郎(スタジオ我画)・白泉社/「ベルセルク製作委員会」
Google translate says: © Kentaro Miura (studio Ware-ga) Hakusensha / "Berserk Production Committee"
So, who's studio Ware-ga?
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

The bit about the hiatus schedule at the end of the article is kind of confusing, because they don't mention that the manga has been running regularly again since August of this year I believe. It kind of sucks if it's true that the manga is going to be irregular or even go on hiatus again, but other than that, I'm very excited to finally get confirmation of the next movie. They originally said they were going to make more films after the initial trilogy, but it's been dark ever since Descent was released. I can't wait to see the Black Swordsman in full animation once again. These next few movies should be some of the best parts of the series, if they stay true to the manga. I'm looking forward to it. I liked the other movies, even tho they weren't perfect. They were really just to build up what's to come next anyway. Also, I don't mind if the same studio is making them. I thought they did a well enough job. Shoot, they've clearly got a better budget than the original TV series, lol. As long as they don't butcher it I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm just happy to see new Berserk anime being made with current technology, and the thought of seeing Guts as the Black Swordsman going HAM in full animation, for the first time really (other than the little bit we saw in the original series) has got me pumped.
greak
imanewbie

Post by greak »

I don't want movies. I don't want CG. But still excited :lol:
twitter.com/greak
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

War Machine wrote:
© 三浦建太郎(スタジオ我画)・白泉社/「ベルセルク製作委員会」
Google translate says: © Kentaro Miura (studio Ware-ga) Hakusensha / "Berserk Production Committee"
So, who's studio Ware-ga?
Hakusensha publishes Berserk.

Most anime shows are produced by a "Production Committee" which is basically a loose cabal usually consisting of the animation studio (as yet unknown), the moneybags (NBC Universal), merchandising partners, and whoever else could conceivably have a stake in the show. Any revenue goes to the committee and is then split up, and this structure might be one of the reasons why animation studios are perpetually underfunded.

Ware-ga is a misromanization of the same Studio Gaga you see credited next to Kentarou Miura in the manga. They're Miura's assistants, though I imagine the organization is much more fluid than a title like "Studio" would imply.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Studio Gaga, I should've figured. I got the other parts, but I just didn't realize that was Studio Gaga. Anyway, I got nothing else from the website. I looked through the HTML and I don't see any other links or assets that aren't already visible. I guess we'll have to wait.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Nothing new yet, but we got a new picture. Here it is in highest quality without any shit on top of it:

http://berserk-anime.com/core_sys/image ... in_bgn.jpg
caiooa
imanewbie

Post by caiooa »

Well, we have a trailler now. Some shots in 3D, some close shots in 2D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIA9xg2oIew

mixed feelings so far. The 3D shots looks much better than what was used in the movies. The 2D shots looks worse than the one's used in the movies. It might be a too early state (incomplete, so bellow the quality of the final product) or be a 1' ad more refined than the full lenght of the actual animation (for promotional reasons). Just a lot to speculate ;p
Aluja
Mastered PM

Post by Aluja »

I'm not feeling anything with that teaser....
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

I'm kind of in shock that it actually looks worse than the movie trilogy. Impressive.

Here's to hoping that whatever format this is going to be, it's at least written better than the previous movies. The terrible CGI and such could become semi-permissible if they are able to do justice to the story, although I don't see much reason to believe that will be the case.
legato
Found the Edit button

Post by legato »

I wish someone would make a "Berserk sequel OVA" or something based on the PS2 game, for me that was the best sequel the original anime could have hoped for. The Berserker armor, the fight versus Zodd, even the field of swords. AND the original voice actors from the first anime.
Voldo
imanewbie

Post by Voldo »

caiooa wrote:Well, we have a trailler now. Some shots in 3D, some close shots in 2D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIA9xg2oIew
Looks friggin terrible. Like a PS2-game.

I was so incredibly disappointed with the previous movies and this one seems even worse due to the crappy animation...
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

I reserve criticism till I see some more finished product... it could be a damn stick figure flip book for all I care as long as it gets to the meat of the story with NO fillers... I swear they put any filler in and I will cut someone... :evil:

I take that back, any back story about Isidro and Schierke would be cool :twisted:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Voldo wrote:Looks friggin terrible. Like a PS2-game.
Nah, the framerate looks like a PS1-era cutscene, but the picture quality looks way better than that.

And the blend between 2D and 3D seems significantly better than in the movies. I actually have a hard time noticing when it changes from one to the other (when the framerate doesn't drop to 15 that is).

And don't tell me that the 2D art looks bad cause this looks great:

LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I kinda wish they'd drop the limited-animation pretense for the action scenes and just go full 30 frames per second when it's all CG anyway. CG is great for interpolating between keyframes at virtually no cost, so play to that strength. The 2D art looks really good, as pointed out above, but the 3D stuff is definitely hamstrung by the framerate and they're not fooling anyone into thinking it's traditional animation anyway.

Then again, I can see why they wouldn't want frequent variations in frame time.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

I wonder where they are going to start in the story? After lost children saga I would guess but they could use that saga as a dream sequence or flash back episode... filler. I bet they start with Guts getting caught by the Iron Chain Knights... getting away he sees his son that shows him the pic of Casca goes to Godo and then off to the leaning tower of death and despair :evil:

I think that would be a good starting point :twisted:
what do you guys think...

or staring from the beginning with the slug apostle that was pretty cool... get to see the god hand again and see what they are all about... Chick in the woods... :twisted:

In short I hope they give us a good ride and not some pipe dreams of entertainment.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I would assume they'd continue on in chronological order, which means the Snake Baron & Slug Count should be next. I was thinking before that it would be Lost Children next, as that's what comes after The Eclipse in the manga, but I forgot that they've been going in chronological order, so it should be the stuff in the first 3 volumes of the manga next. I don't want them to skip or leave anything out from this point. Show it all in all of it's glory, I say!
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Starnum wrote:I would assume they'd continue on in chronological order, which means the Snake Baron & Slug Count should be next. I was thinking before that it would be Lost Children next, as that's what comes after The Eclipse in the manga, but I forgot that they've been going in chronological order, so it should be the stuff in the first 3 volumes of the manga next. I don't want them to skip or leave anything out from this point. Show it all in all of it's glory, I say!
Here, Here :beer:

If they start it off like that it will make more sense when he is subconsciously merciful to the butterfly chick (Rosenia or something)... also how the deep and dark and alone Guts is, your makes himself :twisted:
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

There's a new teaser trailer out, and with it, a new thread.