Some people forged young Gut's sword

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Some people forged young Gut's sword

Post by War Machine »

The people at Man At Arms: Reforged on youtube made young Guts' sword (incorrectly called it the Dragon Slayer though :? ). Still a pretty cool video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nwh8yWh5WU
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
luciferian
Mastered PM

Re: Some people forged young Gut's sword

Post by luciferian »

lol impressive show sword.

We know that young guts sword is based off real swords, great swords with broad swords mainly, and can be actually forged to be a true weapon. What they have there is is a better version of the show swords you can buy, but nothing you would ever want to use in real battle. Its good on them for attempting, but would have been far more impressed if they had gone with the actual dragonslayer.

But they did a good job, so ill hand it to them. Would be a good practice sword to get the weight and learning to swing though.
somefatman
notanewb

Post by somefatman »

I love man at arms. So glad they finally attempted something in the Berserk universe. Would have loved for them to go for the full dragon slayer but I don't think anyone thought they could really do it. Especially after seeing the extra effort they needed to go to on this. We all just need to accept that the dragon slayer is impossible to be really forged.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

They could probably forge the Dragon Slayer sword but without anyone with super strength it would be a waste of materials, and I think these guys are into making swords that can be used... to a certain extent :twisted:

I could imagine a contest for the real Dragon Slayer that would be like sword and the stone... To whoever can lift this 1000lbs sword, without cutting off there own foot, I give my Kingdom :twisted:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
hadi
This is my new home

Post by hadi »

Someone ought to translate that video and send it to Miura. Maybe it'll light a fire under his ass to restart drawing.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Is there not some technique that could be used to make the blade the same size as the Dragon Slayer, but lighter?
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Starnum wrote:Is there not some technique that could be used to make the blade the same size as the Dragon Slayer, but lighter?
Sure. You could make the entire blade out of Aluminum, or some other relatively light metal. I don't think that's the kind of thing that group does, though.
somefatman
notanewb

Post by somefatman »

They could do something like they did in the first season where they made Thor's hammer Mjolnir. The made it hollow so that it did not weigh an insane amount (I believe they said they latter filled it with ball bearings or something to make it too heavy to lift after the video so it can stay in their shop as a prop that people could use to test their worthiness). It would probably be possible to make a Dragonslayer with a solid spine with ribs and then weld thin plate steel to the outside to get the right size and shape.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

That kind of ruins the point of making the Dragon Slayer, though.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
luciferian
Mastered PM

Post by luciferian »

War Machine wrote:That kind of ruins the point of making the Dragon Slayer, though.
basically how I would feel if they did aluminum or hollow inside.

The dragon slayer is best described as a slab of metal. That is all it is, formed into a blade. Only being wielded once before Guts, to kill a dragon, and thats it. If they tried to forge it any other way than described in the book, then they would never actually forged the dragon slayer. Hell its the simplest of ways to forge it... its a slab of metal. But, everyone knows that noone will be able to wield it (see how much trouble they had wielding Gut's broadsword).

Its simple enough to make, but to heavy to wield..... well maybe the viking who plays the Mountain on game of thrones way be able to wield it, after breaking a few world records recently.
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

They could probably outfit an entire medieval army with these swords by the time Miura releases 338...
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

newbified wrote:They could probably outfit an entire medieval army with these swords by the time Miura releases 338...

OH SO SAD... but true :evil:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I don't think anyone ever actually wielded the Dragon Slayer before Guts. Godo made it because an ill king requested a sword that could kill a dragon with one swing. However once it was made, none of the king's men could wield it. So the king sentenced Godo to death, causing the blacksmith to become a fugitive. Anyway, yeah I was thinking of the hollow blade idea as well, but as was stated, I guess that would go against the spirit of the Dragon Slayer.
hadi
This is my new home

Post by hadi »

Note:
The forged sword in the video isn't the dragon slayer. It's the one Guts used before meeting Godo.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

I know he's grey hair now but young Guts will always be the Band of the Falcon Guts :lol:
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

On a previous season of Man at arms they created the Buster sword from FF7. It was 80 lbs and he used Aluminum.
"Context is for Kings"
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Nice find here, several of my colleagues are similarly impressed. :)