What happened to Grifith's face when he was tortured?

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Azwraith
imanewbie

What happened to Grifith's face when he was tortured?

Post by Azwraith »

It has been ages since I am waiting for an oficial answer from Miura in the manga, but it seems like he completely left it aside, or didn't want to say it. When they rescue Grifith back in the tower, Gatts open his helmet and begins to cry. Judeau and Gatts don't allow Caska to see it, and they lock the helmet back. Then, when they are healing his wounds with bandages and such, back at the encampment, they still did not remove his helmet, not even for the healings. Finally, during the Eclipse, when the God Hand closes with Grifith in the middle, he was still wearing the helmet, but after his transformation, he is born as Femto, still with a similar helm attached to his face, but now black and red/purple. The point is that we never saw what actually hapenned to Grifith's/Femto face. When Grifith is reborn, in his new angelic body, his face is healed, but that still doesn't answer how Femto's face really is, since that is probably like a whole new body, or an illusion.
What do you guys think?
somefatman
notanewb

Re: What happened to Grifith's face when he was tortured?

Post by somefatman »

We know the eyes we left intact but other than that the disfigurement is supposed to be left to the imagination. The torturer cut out Griffith's tongue and cut him open and removed Griffith's skin. The torturer talks about contemplating the muscles and blood vessels under the skin. Almost certainly he removed Griffith's nose to start. He also probably destroyed his cheeks and cut off his ears. Griffith's face is at minimum covered with scars. Or possibly the torturer burned Griffith's face once he was done cutting it open. It really isn't a question you should expect an answer to and most people probably never paid it any mind.

Regarding Femto - what you see is his face, not a helmet. There is not anything under there to see, and anyway since the rest of his body was put back together, the face would be intact if it could be viewed.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

I have wondered this myself several times. The way you described it would make sense. The nose part specifically. Can we get someone to draw their interpretation of how ugly he must have looked? I mean c'mon we all know the kind of disturbing stuff drawn in the manga so I'm pretty sure this would be very gross looking.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Search for debridement of facial infections. Mix the results from that and cachexia/malnourishment and It'll give you a general idea of what may have happened to Griffith. I know you all are probably desensitized because you read Berserk but seeing similar things on a real person can still make you queasy
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Well, I didn't want to eat today anyway.

Funny thing about that scene in the manga, even though I never saw a clear depiction of Griffith's face, I feel like I did. The whole scene implying how bad he looks makes me imagine it so vividly that, after some time has passed and I remember that scene, I remember seeing his face. I was so surprised when a friend mentioned that they never show Griffith's face that I went back and searched furiously through the manga and anime to find out that he was right. And I'm the bigger fan who lent the manga to him.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
phisaki
imanewbie

Post by phisaki »

for those who wondered.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

That's pretty f'd up but I bet it was a lot worse than that. For one I bet he cut his hair and started to scalp him... for all intents and purposes to make a Griffith mask :evil:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Is that a draft by Miura? Nice.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Taem
imanewbie

Post by Taem »

I was under the impression based on what the torturer exclaimed that Griffith had his tongue ripped out. I was also under the impression because of Griffith constantly wide-eyed that he couldn't close his eyelids because they were cut off. I also assumed his nose and ears were cut off.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Nose is still attached if you look at the scenes that follows you can see it.
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip: