Berserk 328 - The Spring Blossoms of Another Day (1)

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Berserk 328 - The Spring Blossoms of Another Day (1)

Post by DrPepperPro »

luciferian
Mastered PM

Re: Berserk 328 - The Spring Blossoms of Another Day (1)

Post by luciferian »

Honestly I do not know what to think currently. As the story gives some insight on why Guts would rather be alone in battle than anything, and what had happened some time before the hawks. The mini arc comes out of nowhere (even though we were prewarned), maybe a flash back immediately after killing the sea god? But it just strikes my nerve that we get this rather than the conclusion to the Sea God and the Black-haired Child (still hoping he is Guts and Casca's kid).

But, If this was placed right after the gambino arc and right before meeting the hawks arc, i think it fits, and I like it. But kinda sad at it current location, ya know?

Art, and Story, i like it.
somefatman
notanewb

Post by somefatman »

I agree that this arc comes out of nowhere but its not bad, an interesting look into what makes Guts, Guts. I guess we need to wait (as if any of us have trouble doing that...) and see how it plays out and how hey tie it all together with the sea god arc.
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

I was fine with it. It felt more like Berserk than anything has in ages.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Any Berserk is good Berserk . As always, thanks EG.
liquidsin
imanewbie

Post by liquidsin »

I had the same sentiments as y'all at first. Fortunately, that feeling completely changed after I read the chapter. The fact that Gut's life was influenced by elves even before Puck opens countless possibilities. "How did this particular elf affect his life, will he meet her again, and how does this tie into the upcoming elf island arc?" are just some of the questions that started racing through my mind.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Direct download is now available:
http://berserkvault.dyndns.org/

I agree with liquidsin, this chapter will very likely tie in to Elf Helm.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Romdeau
imanewbie

Post by Romdeau »

I was about ready to go "hey wtf is with the random flashback" and then Mr. Mirua decides to stick in a random elf at the last second...and then it all makes sense. :)
rubberchicken
imanewbie

Post by rubberchicken »

This one chapter was better than the entire sea arc to date.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Pretty cool never thought I would see another guts flash back for the rest of the manga... a welcome surprise if I do say so myself :twisted:
Thanks EG
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
eldur
notanewb

Post by eldur »

Then probably Guts is under the influence of the Elves or even the Elven King??? Since when?? Remember that he was miracously alive when Gambino and the mercs found him...

Bah, we'll see soon (at least for this time).

Thanks EG Team!!!
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Hum, in away, this has been one of the best chapters in years. The simplicity of the setting so many years ago is a breath of fresh hair.

Thanks for the chapter, EG.
Kogacola
imanewbie

Post by Kogacola »

Well Its only Supposed to be 3 chapters, I hope he gets his revenge on that asshole that used him for a diversion, and the last page made a lot of sense me since I just reread Berserk from the beginning since the new chapter took so long and He saved puck, prob to repay the last elf that help him, that we just saw for the first time.

Wanna get to ELFHEIM PLZ!!!!!!!!
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

I return from the dead exclusively to pour my derision upon this renewed bout of optimism among Berserk's readership!
The chapters are probably just a marketing gimmick to make the movies seem more current. That, or a hideous retcon.

On a slightly less critical note, the rat-eating bit was beautiful. I hope we get to see more of the visceral intensity that used to define Berserk.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

By the way, didn't Miura wrote a message in this month's Young Animal? There was nothing in the usual page.
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

He (almost?) always does, it's just a matter of if we get a scan of it or not.
luciferian
Mastered PM

Post by luciferian »

I really do not think its just for movies Rolos. In honesty with simplicity of the chapter and the revelation of the elf at the very end, I hope it ties more into the newer chapters rather than just gimmicky movie references.

But, I agree, the chapter brings back a fresh breath of life into the manga, rather than Pirates .... (seriously wtf were you thinking Miura?)
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Miura has proven to be very careful and methodical with what he does in the manga. And there's no better proof of his dedication to the narration of the story than his removal of the Idea of Evil chapter. I mean, to go as far as to remove a whole chapter because he didn't feel it was right to keep the story that way, shows, at least, that he concerns himself with such matters as the story's progression. What I'm going with this is that I will give Miura a chance to work out his ideas before I blast him for having added any particular item into the story.

Also, I don't see how this chapter helps the movies in any way considering it's from a moment in Gut's life that was completely skipped in the first movie. And for this chapter to be a retcon as Rolos said, it would need to have changed something in the story, and it clearly didn't. All it did was add more to the back story of Guts.

I understand the frustration with the infrequentness of the chapters, but I don't think it's evidence that Miura is getting sloppy with the story or that they're grounds to accuse Miura of pandering. Wanna see an author actually getting sloppy with the story? Go read Bleach.

PS: You know how this chapter felt? It felt like when you're in the middle of a concert from your favorite band and all of a sudden they play one of your favorite songs from their very first album.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

War Machine wrote:I understand the frustration with the infrequentness of the chapters, but I don't think it's evidence that Miura is getting sloppy with the story or that they're grounds to accuse Miura of pandering. Wanna see an author actually getting sloppy with the story? Go read Bleach.
SO true, tried to read bleach after Aizan was captured and I thought to my self fuck this... first time I have not liked a manga after reading over 300 chapters :evil:
War Machine wrote:PS: You know how this chapter felt? It felt like when you're in the middle of a concert from your favorite band and all of a sudden they play one of your favorite songs from their very first album.
Yes and Yes :twisted:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Fradener
imanewbie

Post by Fradener »

Sandman wrote:*bleach spoilers*
There's a spoiler tag! Use it!

Yeesh, how would you like it if someone went and mentioned that the Skull Knight is Griffith's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate?

[spoiler]Anyway I don't think this necessarily changes anything if Guts can't actually SEE this elf. Just because it had a heretofore unknown influence doesn't mean a retcon.[/spoiler]

Still looking forward to six months from now when they finally get to the island (Am I being overly optimistic with that time frame?)