Berserk 325 - Merrow (2)

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Re: Berserk 325 - Merrow (2)

Post by Istvan »

raziel wrote:That's exactly why Berserk is so appealing, it's unrelenting and ruthless at times. The more pain there is, the better the story tends to be or at least Berserk is like this imo.
And I wouldn't mind one or two of them having tragic deaths, I just don't think all (or most) of them should die, eclipse style. Although, if they all died one at a time, over a long stretch, that could be even more powerful/moving/tragic than having them all die at once in some sort of cataclysm...
raziel
This is my new home

Post by raziel »

That could be nice, but I feel like since there are quite a few characters now, it would sort of get tedious or you could start to get desensitized as a reader to the idea of having 1 char dying at a time; besides, if that happens the story would probably be lengthened considerably. I guess i wouldn't mind, im getting used to the idea of being a 50 year old reading berserk 8)

It wouldn't have to be an eclipse event anyway, maybe like a huge battle. In any case, if the author does kill everyone, I could definitely see guts being irredeemable by going totally bonkers and being a tragic anti-hero
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

brunoafh wrote:^ That's a pretty sweet idea. It'd be hard for Guts to get much of a following though after the events that just went down with Griffith.
Is it so hard to believe? The mermaids are already joining with Guts to kill the Sea God, after all.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

No humans really have a reason to go against Griffith at this point. We haven't seen what's going on in Midland for awhile, but it seems like Griffith is going to have Midland's full support for defeating the Kushan and Ganishka. Between that and his apostle army, I can't imagine what kind of following Guts could get to be able to oppose that. I'm sure Miura is going to come up with something though, Guts' following has grown quite a bit in this arc.
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

I have always gotten the impression that when Gatts comes back to Midland to take on griffith he is going to be viewed as a villain, or ironically a monster.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

It's been a recurring theme throughout the series that even though Guts is the good guy, the common people usually see him as evil because they are blinded by their faith and prophecy.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

dialdfordesi wrote:It's been a recurring theme throughout the series that even though Guts is the good guy, the common people usually see him as evil because they are blinded by their faith and prophecy.
...And also because of the way Guts acts/talks. Let's face it, for someone who doesn't get a long, in depth look at Guts' actions, it would be hard not to see him as a homicidal monster.
Romdeau
imanewbie

Post by Romdeau »

You know, I think Miura has drummed up a lot of expectations for the Elf island because it's supposedly the only place Casca can be healed-however, I think the whole story would be cheapened if this place is able to heal everything as if it were omnipotent. Let's remind ourselves that Skullknight said that the elfking MIGHT be able to help her...and maybe she doesn't want helping to begin with.

Anyhow, my point is that I agree with the theory that this is the beginning of a slow transformation into whatever skullknight is. The question for me is, will Gutts continue to use the armor until he's completely lost his humanity?
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

You know, maybe that used to be true. Maybe Elf Island really wasn't all it was cracked up to be, but after the fantasy world became real, maybe Elf Island was reborn as well.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Romdeau
imanewbie

Post by Romdeau »

War Machine wrote:You know, maybe that used to be true. Maybe Elf Island really wasn't all it was cracked up to be, but after the fantasy world became real, maybe Elf Island was reborn as well.
True, the realms bleeding into each other probably enhanced the magic prowess of the island's inhabitants. Or corrupted them.