Skull Knight Costume

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

The Blacksmith
imanewbie

Skull Knight Costume

Post by The Blacksmith »

This has been a long time project that I'm finally getting close to finishing, so I thought I'd share. A while ago I made a collectible bust of skull knight. and then someone decided they wanted the whole "shootin' match"

So I bought a manniquin and away I went. Mostly sculpted out of clay with silicone molds and layed up in fiberglass.

I decided to only make one side of the sword and after I mold it I'll cast two pieces and seam them together.
The Blacksmith
imanewbie

Re: Skull Knight Costume

Post by The Blacksmith »

New update: shoulder pads tacked in place and bottom spikes, before leg armour. These are just held in place to get a feel for the whole costume. They might be a tad uneven right now, till I fully mount them.

Even though the cape is going to cover most of the back, I still had to bring myself to making it all.

The Blacksmith
imanewbie

Post by The Blacksmith »

Sword and shield are done. Painted all the parts as well except the finger armour which I had to farm out to be done (no time before Dragon*Con). Thanks Big_Water99 the fingers look great!

The Blacksmith
imanewbie

Post by The Blacksmith »

I started to attempt to put him together on the manniquin. He looks funny to me without the arms and cape. The leg armour is drooping a little because the straps are slipping on the smooth surface of the manniquin. And he is taller than I am so imagine the ribs coming down a little. Also the shoulder pads will rest some on my physical shoulders and lift them a little and even them out. Plus the cape and kilt will tie everything together. For some reason the skull looks darker, but it's not in real life. My garage door only opens so far and there is a shadow cast towards the top.

I did all this to give me an idea what I'mlooking at and give me an idea how to mount the armour as a working costume. I still have to make the cape and kilt, position the arm armour and put the lighting in for the eyes including smoked lenses.

The Blacksmith
imanewbie

Post by The Blacksmith »

Well, this was the dress rehearsal before Dragon*Con. A few things to take care of. First, I dropped the chest plate and broke off one of the spikes--easy fix though. I think it's funny that it's the same spike that broke off in the manga. Had to trim the back t get it on, need tighter strapping for the legs to hold the armour up.

DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

This looks really amazing. The painted texture really brings it all together and makes it look less fakey. What does it sounds like when you walk around in it? It might be nice to add some random metal parts on the inside that can make a light "ching-ching" sound when moving.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Dude, that's sick! Great work.
The Blacksmith
imanewbie

Post by The Blacksmith »

DrPepperPro wrote:This looks really amazing. The painted texture really brings it all together and makes it look less fakey. What does it sounds like when you walk around in it? It might be nice to add some random metal parts on the inside that can make a light "ching-ching" sound when moving.
That's actually a pretty good idea. Nothing worse than a popping noise of plastic instead of a clanking noise when you're trying to achieve a metal armour effect.
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Thats fucking bad ass :twisted:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
somefatman
notanewb

Post by somefatman »

That is really impressive, great job.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Just yesterday I was thinking that a Skull Knight costume would look awesome and then I come to the forum to this. Really amazing costume, how long did it take to make all this?
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
The Blacksmith
imanewbie

Post by The Blacksmith »

Thanks for the compliments all.

This project has been about a years worth of blood, sweat and tears. Mostly sweat. I did alot of the clay work in the house in front of the TV watching Adult Swim at night. Once the molds were made I was able to cast the parts and assemble the whole costume alot quicker. If I do any more it would take me about two to three months to complete one, if that's all I'm doing.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

...Wow.

Not really sure what else to say. That looks really impressive.
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

Kudos to you man. Amazing work.
uncempt
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by uncempt »

Woah, that's incredible. How long did the design stage take? How does it feel when you wear it? Is it heavy?

Also, I wonder if the real skull knight wears eye-liner under the helmet? :D
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

I was smirking at the pic of the mannequin at first but the costume is far and above any other Berserk costume I've ever seen. Your effort really shows in the final results.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
The Blacksmith
imanewbie

Post by The Blacksmith »

uncempt wrote:Woah, that's incredible. How long did the design stage take? How does it feel when you wear it? Is it heavy?

Also, I wonder if the real skull knight wears eye-liner under the helmet? :D
Thanks. I designed each element as it was being made, so it's hard to say how long it took. The heaviest part is the chestplate and collar, but it rests on my shoulders so it doesn't feel heavy.
I actually have tinted lenses for the eyes with lights, but you can't see the lights in that lighting.
tsubaimomo
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by tsubaimomo »

The Blacksmith: appears randomly to present awesomeness.
The Skull Knight: appears randomly to present awesomeness.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you, The Blacksmith, who we can now, with certainty, identify as THE Skull Knight. That's right, they are one and the same.
Mail
Mastered PM

Post by Mail »

tsubaimomo wrote:The Blacksmith: appears randomly to present awesomeness.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you, The Blacksmith, who we can now, with certainty, identify as THE Skull Knight. That's right, they are one and the same.
So are those pictures cannon?
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Mail wrote:

Of course! Those are the steps Skull Knight took to create his fancy costume. Note that SK is even more awesome and badass than we ever expected, since he was able to defeat Zodd while wearing fake armor.
The Blacksmith
imanewbie

Post by The Blacksmith »

Istvan wrote:
Mail wrote:

Of course! Those are the steps Skull Knight took to create his fancy costume. Note that SK is even more awesome and badass than we ever expected, since he was able to defeat Zodd while wearing fake armor.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I used Knight of Skeleton from AOW as reference as well as multiple manga drawings.
Orm
imanewbie

Post by Orm »

Thats really some crazy stuff .... truely impressed by your dedication.
revealer
imanewbie

Post by revealer »

Could you make a short video and post it? I would really like to see it in motion :o
The Blacksmith
imanewbie

Post by The Blacksmith »

revealer wrote:Could you make a short video and post it? I would really like to see it in motion :o
When the client comes for a test fitting next month--that's the plan.

Skull Knight's got himself a little Hottie:ohbaby

incubus
imanewbie

Post by incubus »

Fucking awesome, man. Respect