Berserk 321 - Sea God (3)

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Berserk 321 - Sea God (3)

Post by DrPepperPro »

War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Re: Berserk 321 - Sea God (3)

Post by War Machine »

Came out of nowhere, link coming. Thanks, EG.

Edit:
Direct download is now available:
http://berserkvault.dyndns.org/ (right-click the file you want and select "Save as...")
Last edited by War Machine on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
hadi
This is my new home

Post by hadi »

thank you guys
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Thanks EG! You guys rock!

Time to go read this.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

S'been awhile since Berserk had a 2 page spread that really wowed me. Feels good, man.

Thanks for the scanlation.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Thanks EG, I love this, just sucks that I got finals and will have to wait till the end of the week to read this!
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
legato
Found the Edit button

Post by legato »

Very nice and fast too!
Too bad the next chapter won't be until June 24 (but we have a got a date, that should count for something).
Mail
Mastered PM

Post by Mail »

Thanks EG!
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

A decent chapter. I kind of like how Ishidro is coming into his own.

Thanks much, EG. Appreciated as always.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Thanks for the chapter, guys!

As for the chapter itself, I'm not feeling it.
Perhaps it's the kind of chapter that you need momentum to properly appreciate or something.
The way I read it...
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

i second rolos

its nice also to have a next release date even though its 6 weeks till then
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

Well things have been dragging at an excruciatingly slow rate since chapter 307, which was like, 2 fuckin years ago or something. With that in consideration, I thought this chapter was at least decent.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Meh....that stomach gas jump wasn't really to my liking there.

Overall, except for the Lovecraftian tones, i'm finding this arc pretty weak. It's pretty much the equivalent of the Lost Children arc (A self contained adventure to show off the changed world the main characters find themselves in) but it's weaker in most aspects.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Deathbringer wrote:Meh....that stomach gas jump wasn't really to my liking there.

Overall, except for the Lovecraftian tones, i'm finding this arc pretty weak. It's pretty much the equivalent of the Lost Children arc (A self contained adventure to show off the changed world the main characters find themselves in) but it's weaker in most aspects.
What I'm wondering is how Guts knows enough about biology to know that the acumulated gas from the stomach acid would work like that. I mean, is this something that would be common knowledge for a life-long mercenary? Has he been swallowed before by some giant monster? Well it's Guts so I suppose we can't rule that last one out...
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Well the first thing he would have noticed is the pressure building, that's something very basic that he would physically feel.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

DrPepperPro wrote:Well the first thing he would have noticed is the pressure building, that's something very basic that he would physically feel.
Given the relative scale, I'm not sure he would be able to detect the pressure building all that well. But even if he could, he would know that it was gas which could propel him through the air, and not acid that would melt his face...how?
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Maybe it's that big sword of his that helps him judge the lifting capabilities of pressurized gas. That or the armor.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I've always found Guts to be an unexplainably intelligent guy. Though...that's not really an explanation, lol. Honestly I had the same thoughts. Like, how does he know this stuff, lol. Oh, and he did get swallowed by that whale monster back on Vrittanis beach, before bursting out of its head through an eye hole. Not that...that explains anything either, but he has been inside of other large monsters before, heh. This chapter was okay, and I'm glad we have a date for the next chapter. I understand the purpose of this mini-arc is so that Guts and company can see the changes to the world first hand, and that's an important thing, don't get me wrong, but like most people I'm just anxious to get to Elfhelm already. I thought the Lost Children story arc was great, but I'm not really feeling this one nearly as much. So hopefully the Sea God will be dealt with soon and we can be on our way. Of course, I'm always happy to get a Berserk chapter, so I'm not really complaining, heh.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

I think it´s a matter of intensity.
The Lost Children arc might have been unrelated to the general plot, but it was so intense I had goosebumps at some points.
Is that the word, goosebumps? May be trembling is more appropiate.
My fingers were vibrating, if that makes sense.
By the time Gutts bit Roshinu´s sting midair I couldn´t even hit the enter key.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Rolos wrote:I think it´s a matter of intensity.
The Lost Children arc might have been unrelated to the general plot, but it was so intense I had goosebumps at some points.
Is that the word, goosebumps? May be trembling is more appropiate.
My fingers were vibrating, if that makes sense.
By the time Gutts bit Roshinu´s sting midair I couldn´t even hit the enter key.
I hadn't thought of it that way. But I can see your point, the enemies in this arc aren't really all that impressive; you never truly get the fealing that Guts might be in trouble/having difficulty.
Aluja
Mastered PM

Post by Aluja »

And I'm tired of seeing those pirates.
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

I just want to throw my 2c in the ring and say that I also felt the Lost Children arc was absolutely fantastic. It might even be my favorite one, although the Conviction arc and the Golden Age are also gold.
Istvan wrote:the enemies in this arc aren't really all that impressive; you never truly get the fealing that Guts might be in trouble/having difficulty.
This is a very good point. I haven't felt like Guts was in any real danger since his encounter with Slan, and I think that kind of hinders the intensity of the story-telling for sure. That's also about the time he got his new armor. Maybe that has something to do with it.
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

Guts was also swallowed by an apostle at Floras place ;)

and i think Guts was in danger at the harbor fighting the "flying guys" before setting out to sea

but this arc might be better when its reread at higher pace (although im really sick of the pirates as well -but it seems the berserk crew feel the same way). this few chapters a year... most things gets a bit slow then

i remember the griffith conquering part as kinda slow and i didnt really feel it - but when i reread it i loved it
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

It´s not about him being in danger, as much as it is us feeling it.
Every time you go out driving you are much more likely to die than, say,if you were doing bungee jumping.
And yet, no one would call driving to work an "extreme" activity, precisely because you don´t really feel in danger when doing it.
I think the same principle applies to fiction, and to Berserk in particular.
Yeah, charging a lightning spewing mist-demigod atop a flying demon is considerably more dangerous than fighting a giant, psychotic butterfly, but it´s not nearly as, well, berserk-like.
The visceral brutality of earlier arcs is mostly gone.
We do get some gore from time to time, but the focus has shifted, the fights feel cleaner.
I personaly like the direction Berserk has taken, but it´s time to accept that some of the things that originally drew me to it are no longer there.
~Diogenes of Sinope
legato
Found the Edit button

Post by legato »

brunoafh wrote:I just want to throw my 2c in the ring and say that I also felt the Lost Children arc was absolutely fantastic. It might even be my favorite one, although the Conviction arc and the Golden Age are also gold.
Istvan wrote:the enemies in this arc aren't really all that impressive; you never truly get the fealing that Guts might be in trouble/having difficulty.
This is a very good point. I haven't felt like Guts was in any real danger since his encounter with Slan, and I think that kind of hinders the intensity of the story-telling for sure. That's also about the time he got his new armor. Maybe that has something to do with it.
I have the feeling that they will show Guts as virtually invincible while wearing the armor, but in the end it'll probably fuck him up real bad, maybe before coming to elfhelm or just after.
This armor is great, but Guts'll never truly be in control of it even though it seems like it at the time. He might even end up like the skullknight, anythings possible at this time in Berserk.