Berserk 319 - Sea God (1)

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

arke
Beware my tactical spam

Berserk 319 - Sea God (1)

Post by arke »

Starnum
Elven King

Re: Berserk 319 - Sea God (1)

Post by Starnum »

Boosh, bitches! Eat it up. XD
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

Pretty quick introduction through everything. I'm glad a new chapter is out, but it seemed awfully short, especially when you think about how long Miura's break was prior to release.
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

It's late, I gotta go to sleep. I've got school tomorrow and.. Oh, shit, new chapter! *download and read* :shock:

Direct download is now available:
http://berserkvault.dyndns.org/ (right-click the chapter you want and select Save as)
Last edited by War Machine on Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 8 times in total.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Daiceman9
imanewbie

Post by Daiceman9 »

It may have been short, but we at least have the promise of more to come soon.
jarlaxle_95
imanewbie

Post by jarlaxle_95 »

Yay new chapter! Kinda short but better than nothing I guess. I'm beginning to lose my patience 8-9 years of waiting chapter after chapter :lol:
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

I love you guys!! This will be great to read after my exam!
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

although it was short, it moved forward much swifter than i had anticipated. the pirates were pretty fun this time actually, and i also liked the fact that they got quite ignored by Guts. very nice drawings also (as always, but i liked it even more than usual this time - but that could be due to the abstinence i had)

and it's great news we dont have to wait long for the next chapter :D
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Yay!! Thank you so much for this, EG.

And the next chapter is in two weeks! :D
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

Decent chapter (but mainly just for the wonderful artwork).

Can't help but lament the fact that Berserk's plot is currently rooted in Gattz' escapades with pirates and vaginal beasts, though.
MournfulWoods
This is my new home

Post by MournfulWoods »

Thank You for the release ! Much appreciated
http://backalleybazaar.wordpress.com
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

brunoafh wrote:Decent chapter (but mainly just for the wonderful artwork).

Can't help but lament the fact that Berserk's plot is currently rooted in Gattz' escapades with pirates and vaginal beasts, though.
The way I see it, this whole mini-arc is just to help demonstrate how the world has changed. After the shift Griffith caused, it would have seemed odd if they made it all the way to Elfheim without encountering a serious oddity caused by the change in reality. It looks like this sequence is coming to a close, and if you look in terms of the number of chapters (as opposed to real-world time taken), it wasn't really all that long a digression.
Mail
Mastered PM

Post by Mail »

Awesome, thanks for the chapter EG.

Think we'll get through the sea god arc before this round of releases dries up?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Mail wrote:Awesome, thanks for the chapter EG.

Think we'll get through the sea god arc before this round of releases dries up?
I sure hope so.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

brunoafh wrote:Decent chapter (but mainly just for the wonderful artwork).

VAGINAL BEASTS!? WHERE?
Oh, you mean the tentacle monsters.
Damn.

As for the chapter, it was just that, a chapter.
Chapters have that annoying tendency.
Tautologies aside, I can't help but wonder whether Berserk benefits from being a periodical release or not.
I know the artwork evolution is nice and all, but story-wise, has it really been beneficial for Berserk to be released over a 20-years period?
I could extend the same opinion to any other great work that's released bit by bit, I suppose.
Does it really benefits comics and (running) series to be released periodically?
May be one of the reasons so few of them can be unambiguously called 'great' is that they tend to get diluted, and whatever vision the author might have had originally quickly fades as time goes on and he loses enthusiasm for the project.
I haven't really thought about this, I'm just rambling.
To be perfectly honest, I was just going to make a joke about my penis being a monster (or something similar), but stopped mid-joke when I realized how little enthusiasm I felt at the prospect of reading this chapter.
I think I myself, as a reader, might be getting a diluted reading of Berserk.
I can't even remember what happened 3 chapters ago, being my point.

P.S. Sorry if none of this makes sense. Very little sleep. Shame. Guilt. My humongous penis draining blood away from my brain. Tired.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

I agree with you that chapters by themselves are usually not phenomenal on their own, but chapters are not meant to be standalone. I liked this chapter because it's preceding an epic battle, and this time the battle isn't with an apostle but a mythical creature.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

What you're saying definitely makes sense. The story loses it's impact as it goes for sure. Berserk's infrequent and sporadic publishing attributes to this greatly. (At the same time, Berserk's infrequent publishing has obviously led to greater quality across the board. Look at titles like Naruto and Bleach, the artwork looks like ass because the artist has to constantly shit chapters out. I'll take higher quality at a slower rate than low quality at a faster rate.) Still, I think Miura has some good stuff in the works. That whole bit when they kill Ganishka and the world goes apeshit set up the potential for some cool things to come.

Manga often has that "making it up as I go" feel in general. This doesn't help either. The authors usually don't have a clear end (especially true with shounens, with exceptions like Akumetsu). I'm sure whatever Miura's original blueprints for the story were are radically different from the direction the story ended up going, being that he had no idea it was going to take off like it did. I really doubt characters like Schierke and Ishidro were even thought of while Miura was in the process of originally creating Berserk and it's plot. Comics are often drawn out from the start with a clear finish and an established direction of plot progression (I'm talking about stuff like Preacher and Transmetropolitan obviously, not continuously running stuff from Marvel or whatnot), and definitely benefit from this by being able to deliver the creator's original and unaltered vision to the level a novel is able to.
Mail
Mastered PM

Post by Mail »

Really there are pros and cons to both ways. Doing it all at once before the work is released tends to result in a tighter and more consistent story, sure. On the other hand, who says that's necessarily a good thing? Like you said, Berserk now has a slightly different feel than it did in the beginning with the prominence of magic and such. But would the story have been better if he'd hammered it out all at once? Maybe, maybe not. It can go both ways.

But really the reason for a chapter-by-chapter release has got to be financial. It's a very effective business scheme actually. It gets you paid while you're still working on the project and it allows you to continue writing for as long as you can manage (fuck you bleach).
legato
Found the Edit button

Post by legato »

I guess you could wait for the manga volume releases if you don't like waiting for chapters, there is one volume each year.

I do both, I read this chapter releases (thank you EG for continued support) and buy the manga. And from time to time I reread the complete thing which puts a lot of things into perspective.
sandimas
notanewb

Post by sandimas »

direct download here.

<nope>
banned from evil genius twice, from sk.net twice, facebook a lot, cant count, from hi5 too many!
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

You sicken me.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
sandimas
notanewb

Post by sandimas »

banned from evil genius twice, from sk.net twice, facebook a lot, cant count, from hi5 too many!
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Deleted the link since it didn't have credits/note page. Not to mention War machine already does a DDL every single time.
sandimas
notanewb

Post by sandimas »

The link is broken that is why i posted my link.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

sandimas wrote:The link is broken that is why i posted my link.
Someone's been turning off my router in the mornings, so the site went for about an hour the last few days. That's it though, I fixed it (by complaining).
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel