New anime confirmed!!

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Starnum
Elven King

Re: New anime confirmed!!

Post by Starnum »

Guts has always wielded his sword as if it weighs nothing, that's the point. Go re-read the fight with Wyald, they even comment on it in that section. He's uber strong, ya know? ;)
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

It's also not the dragon slayer.

Just like most people here I'm most bothered by the direction and editing more than anything else (maybe the constant 3D switching as well).
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Texanian
notanewb

Post by Texanian »

Starnum wrote:Guts has always wielded his sword as if it weighs nothing, that's the point. Go re-read the fight with Wyald, they even comment on it in that section. He's uber strong, ya know? ;)
Of Cource He is.I don't even think he could fight worse against Wyald,after one year of unstopable training and living it that cave ...But,Let's take 100 men slaying scene in the OVA as an example.No matter how extreamly strong he was , i dont think he could cut through 2-3 full-armored soldiers in a row without his blade slowing down even for a bit ,as it shown,(+being exhausted and wounded)and then,suddently,rotate to the back direction,like nothing had happened,and slay another enemy.Don't forget that he made it using only one hand.Is it possible for Gutts ? - I hope so ... but anyway , not using only one hand.If you ever practiced with a sword for some time,you will understand what i mean.
Huum ... Maybe i'm really exacting and complain too much ... Drawn fighting scenes were alright i think .... But 3D looked awfull in my opinion
"Then you will come to think of things in a wide sense, and taking the Void as the Way, you will thee the Way as Void.In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence,spirit is nothingness."- M.M (TBO5R)
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I have a sword actually, and I'm fairly proficient with it. Berserk isn't real tho, and Guts cuts through multiple armored enemies all the time, usually while being already injured and fatigued, and sometimes with one hand. If the sword were to have any significant or noticeable slow-down in the process it wouldn't be able to completely cut through the next enemy, that's physics. I don't really get it bro, he does this kind of thing all the time in the manga. Meh, anyway...*shrugs*

Edit: Not trying to be an arse, but I was wondering if there was such a scene in the 100-man slaying battle so I went and looked.

Granted, he's using both hands, but this is after he's taken the arrow to his arm. Also, he's not cutting them completely in half, but it's still pretty impressive. He is cutting through several pieces of armor, a spear, a shield, and dismembering multiple foes all with a single stroke. Plus, like Warmachine said, this isn't even the Dragon Slayer. I can show you later battles where he's tired and injured, and still able to cut multiple foes completely in half, with the Dragon Slayer no less. We see those scenes all the time, where he's swinging his sword, and several torsos are flipping through the air. It really is nit-picking tho. Don't get me wrong, I totally understand where you're coming from. It's just that I don't find it so much of a stretch of the imagination for Guts to be able to do that kind of thing during that battle. If it were anything other than Berserk/Guts, I'd probably be right there with ya, heh. Anyway, I agree with War in that the real issues with the film are the direction and editing, as well as the 3D switching. I just wish they hadn't cut so much out. The one thing I was most excited about this initial trilogy was the idea that we'd get to see all the stuff they left out of the original anime. Now they've gone and cut out entire plot sections, such as the Queen's assassination and such. I wish they wouldn't rush it so much. The only way I'll find it acceptable is if they're just in a hurry to get to the new parts not featured in the original anime. I would've been fine just starting post-eclipse, but you know they're worried about filling in the beginning for a new audience. They better take their damn time and do it right after the eclipse though or I will be sorely disappointed. No more leaving out major plot points damn it! :P
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Did anyone else notice in the trailer for the third movie at about 1:08, it shows Guts screaming with like an overlay of the Skullknight helm? Seemed odd to me.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Texanian
notanewb

Post by Texanian »

Starnum wrote: Berserk isn't real tho, and Guts cuts through multiple armored enemies all the time, usually while being already injured and fatigued, and sometimes with one hand. If the sword were to have any significant or noticeable slow-down in the process it wouldn't be able to completely cut through the next enemy, that's physics. I don't really get it bro, he does this kind of thing all the time in the manga. Meh, anyway...*shrugs*
Yeah,i agree , maybe you are right(...or i just explained my position like shit ... i apologise if so).Let's Try agin ...
No doubts,as you said,He Does kill enemies like that all the time In the Manga*.But in there , it looks ... well ... like it should be(for me) ,even if it is unreal.We can't see any time delay on the scans/papers , between each blow,for example,..we can only guess about it.But ..the case,i want to tell about, is *not in the Manga*.Later ,i was talking about 100 men Slaying scene in the new OVA(exacly : from 26:45 to 27:00).Our guesses depends on how it is shown(like it should be) in the manga ,am i right ?.So ... then judge for yourself .... I say,His movements look unreal,even for such an unreal manga , like Berserk.I don't know much about physics,but from my own experience i can say : Then more Might you have(Might=Speed x Power x Body Energy),then it is harder to stop your sword in the end of the swing.I mean,It is difficult to stop Two-Handed(in our situation) sword without a praticular technic,(that i dont see at all in that episode).Moreover,using only one hand*.And,I'm not even telling about the rotation to the back direction*,from the first swing, with a body movements(in my opinion)not good enough to gain the energy to even cut one man in half.Well ... if that's the case, i don't know , how much does the third Gutts's sword weighs,but i don't think it could weighs enough to cut a man in half with only that extreamly Unreal-to-reach speed,that is shown in the new OVA, without other components of Might or/and right technic.That's what i complain about.
Yes. Gutts is Mighty("Uber Strong" as you said).But,His might couldn't come from nothing.I mean , only from one factor of these.Only combination of factors ,that he gained himself, gives him Might as he has.He is "unusual"but still a Human..,not an apostle or superman.

Gha ! Agin! too much words ...I hope you will Understnad what i wanted to say,Starnum.(apologize once agin ... english is not my first language so...thats why i still can't fully express my opinion and half of my sentences looks strange.)
Starnum wrote:I have a sword actually, and I'm fairly proficient with it.
This is great ! I hope you won't mind a little training duel if we meet some day ah? ... haha..,that would be nice to train with someone ,who is also good at sword fight.Too bad that we live too far away from each other...
"Then you will come to think of things in a wide sense, and taking the Void as the Way, you will thee the Way as Void.In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence,spirit is nothingness."- M.M (TBO5R)
Minister
imanewbie

Post by Minister »

Gaiseric wrote:Did anyone else notice in the trailer for the third movie at about 1:08, it shows Guts screaming with like an overlay of the Skullknight helm? Seemed odd to me.
This: Image ?
Look volume 13 episode 91, page 224: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/149720/ber ... -hawks/227
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

@Tex: Yeah, I'll be honest. It was a little difficult for me to follow what you're saying in your last post, but I think I get the gist. I don't know tho, it just doesn't look that odd to me. I always imagine him moving that quickly. I'll admit, there should be more of a delay in his movements when he reverses the direction of his sword, as the momentum from his swing would be difficult to reverse. That's another thing I noticed about this anime. He's not exactly fighting the way he does in the manga, not yet anyway. They've done a good job portraying the western style of swordsmanship, but there's something they've left out so far. Guts is a master of the greatsword, and his technique is pretty much flawless. Miura is a master of art, and he depicts the movements with great skill. Guts is often compared to a tornado. The reason for this is because he spins a lot. With a sword that big you don't want to swing the blade one direction and then reverse it and try to swing it the other way, not all the time anyway. Usually what he does is swing the sword one direction, and then with the blade continuing its rotation over his head, he can turn about and cut the other way, without ever having to reverse the blade's momentum. Hopefully we'll see more of that in the Black Swordsman arc. Anyway, yeah, I'd love to spar with you sometime. As you say tho, it's a shame we live so far apart. Hit me up if you're ever in the midwest region of the US tho, heh. I have a katana, and my main style is with a light single-edged curved blade, but I have a few different softcore practice swords I use of both eastern and western styles. :)

@Minister: Oh! Nice find dude. That scene is after the eclipse too, which gives me hope that they'll continue to make more after this trilogy. I know some of you don't want them to continue, but sadly this may be our only chance to see the Black Swordsman arc in full animation, so I hope they do continue. Plus at the end of the trailer for the third movie it says "You think this is the end?" which implies there will be more. I can't wait to see the Lost Children arc in full animation. I just hope they do it right and stop cutting out major scenes.

I re-watched the 2nd movie again, and I can't believe they cut out the scene with Griffith standing in the river speaking to Casca, when he claws his back. To me that scene is crucial to explaining why Griffith was willing to make the sacrifice of sleeping with Gennon for money. He didn't want to do it, but if it meant protecting the lives of his men for a while longer, so that innocents like the boy soldier who died wouldn't have to, then he was willing to go through with it. People sometimes make jokes about Griffith being gay and all that, but really he was just willing to do whatever it takes to achieve his dream. Instead of that powerful emotional scene we get a couple of lines of explanation right before he kills Gennon, weak. They even show the scars on his back after the sex scene with Charlotte and you wouldn't even know how or why they're there in the first place. So I hope they do a better job with the next set of movies and take their time and do it right.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Minister wrote:
Gaiseric wrote:Did anyone else notice in the trailer for the third movie at about 1:08, it shows Guts screaming with like an overlay of the Skullknight helm? Seemed odd to me.
This: Image ?
Look volume 13 episode 91, page 224: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/149720/ber ... -hawks/227
Ah, okay. Now I see that it was just the color that threw me. It is clearly just a ghoul.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Texanian
notanewb

Post by Texanian »

Starnum wrote:@Tex: Yeah, I'll be honest. It was a little difficult for me to follow what you're saying in your last post, but I think I get the gist. I don't know tho, it just doesn't look that odd to me. I always imagine him moving that quickly. I'll admit, there should be more of a delay in his movements when he reverses the direction of his sword, as the momentum from his swing would be difficult to reverse. That's another thing I noticed about this anime. He's not exactly fighting the way he does in the manga, not yet anyway. They've done a good job portraying the western style of swordsmanship, but there's something they've left out so far. Guts is a master of the greatsword, and his technique is pretty much flawless. Miura is a master of art, and he depicts the movements with great skill. Guts is often compared to a tornado. The reason for this is because he spins a lot. With a sword that big you don't want to swing the blade one direction and then reverse it and try to swing it the other way, not all the time anyway. Usually what he does is swing the sword one direction, and then with the blade continuing its rotation over his head, he can turn about and cut the other way, without ever having to reverse the blade's momentum. Hopefully we'll see more of that in the Black Swordsman arc.
...I know it looked stupid...Gah...i'll be more accurate with thoughts in my words next time ...Well...no regrets.
As we both noticed , in the new movie Gutts fights not like himself.Thats the case.....without unnecessary words .... It is bothereing me.And one more thing too.If The Second movie ended after Griffith was captured and The Third will end even after the Eclipse ...Then, How many important moments will be cut in the next part? .... Scary to imagine.
Anyway,glad we understood each other.
Starnum wrote: Anyway, yeah, I'd love to spar with you sometime. As you say tho, it's a shame we live so far apart. Hit me up if you're ever in the midwest region of the US tho, heh. I have a katana, and my main style is with a light single-edged curved blade, but I have a few different softcore practice swords I use of both eastern and western styles. :)
Heh,You opened your cards ? ..Ok,I will open mine also.I like long,two-handed swords,like Nodachi,for example.But,all i have is a long ,heavy Bokken and self-made Claymore-like thing.Too bad i can't afford myself more...or maybe it's not bad at all.
If you ever visit the land of Forests and Great writers,you also are welcome to my place.
It would be nice to have a duel.But for now ...
Trikucian
imanewbie

Post by Trikucian »

I like the anime movies, especially that they move faster than the anime (yes I'm aware that the old anime had severe budget constraints) and I enjoy the music, but to be honest it felt like some things were missing. I was really stoked to see some cameos in the second movie [spoiler]Farnese and Serpico at the ball, and Puck in a jar later on[/spoiler] and even though I was waiting for some plot points, the way the movie was done seemed to work. What I'm concerned with is if this is going to feed into another set of movies, or into a whole new anime series. I hope it's an anime series, because Berserk has too thick of a plotline to be constrained to a movie format. Like Game of Thrones it would work better in a periodical episodic format.
just reading manga, waiting for this class to be over
revealer
imanewbie

Post by revealer »

Okay, just saw the second movie. After the first one, my expectations were way below of what you would expect from berserk fan, but still, second movie is good, or at least, better than the first one. There, I said it.
fake EDIT: this turned out to be a mini review, so beware of spoilers.

The first half of the movie was pretty much just fighting. The Midland-Tudor army fight extended into 100 men massacre, and capture of Doldrey. The pace was awfully fast, and a lot was cut. But still, I never got that "OMG I CANT BELIEVE THEY CUT TAHT PART, THATS WAS SO IMPORTANT" rage feel like I did in the first movie. Althought i really missed some scenes from the 100 man slay.
The music was also a lot better, except as someone mentioned already, that guitar really didn't fit in the scene:
Texanian wrote: that Spain Guitar, during 100 men slaying .....awwwww !...What the Hell ?
I enjoyed the exchanges between Gats and Boscone, and Gats nonchalantly killing guys while talking to Caska.
They also did some slight changes in the story, but nothing major. Mostly just stuff to bridge the plot that was cut, and it was done very good.
In the second part of the movie, the pacing slowed down, and everything was done well. It didn't get the same feeling like in the anime, but it was good nonetheless. The transition from the victory at Doldrey and everything being good and dandy, to Gats leaving and Griffith fucking things up (pun INTENDED) was nice. Loved that they showed the Midland attack the Band in the morning, that Pippin shout gave me the chills. But the group shout when Caska organized them seemed just way too optimistic. xD
3D is still retarded, but you get used to it, kinda.
In the end, very enjoyable movie, looking forward to seeing what the third part will bring.

Btw, does anyone know are we going to see Wyald in the third movie or is he cut out?
Gloric
imanewbie

Post by Gloric »

revealer wrote:Btw, does anyone know are we going to see Wyald in the third movie or is he cut out?
My absolute biggest concern. If they do, this trilogy is lost to me and all i'll care about in this set of adaptions is that of the later story.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I don't think we'll be seeing the Black Dog Knights.
somefatman
notanewb

Post by somefatman »

Well in the preview at the end of the movie there is a scene where it looks like a group of calvary are charging down a slope into another group of calvary. I'm not certain but that scene could be part of the Black Dog Knights attacking the Hawks. I can't really think of another scene that would fit. There is also a scene of Gutts following the wagon through a street so the movie will at least focus a little on the escape.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

10 min of the 3rd movie, in shitty quality, hopefully it hasnt been taken down:
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... er-3-films
Berserk Staff Still Planning More After 3 Films

At the press conference on Saturday for the Berserk Ōgon Jidai-Hen III: Kōrin (Berserk Golden Age Arc III: Descent) movie's opening the previous day, director Toshiyuki Kubooka indicated that there is more in the works for Berserk beyond the current film trilogy. He told the audience,

We're currently moving to make [Berserk] a saga project. But this is as much as I can say. It's a secret. It's really not at the stage I can say anything about it, but the project is in motion.
The B#
imanewbie

Post by The B# »

http://kotaku.com/5981641/the-third-ber ... er-watched

Big notes:
No Black Dog Knights
Better use of CGI
Nearly half the movie is devoted to the eclipse
Disturbingly violent without going too over the top
Why'd you have to go and Gunt my fries?
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

And the guy only saw the R15 version which is toned down on the Casca/Griffith scene from what I hear...

I will have to build myself up emotionally to watch this 3rd movie. Poor Judeau :cry:
AshTrai
imanewbie

Post by AshTrai »

Hmm.
I've got to say, i wouldn't recommend these films to anyone in order to introduce berserk to them. It seems that they made a list of all the actions scenes from the manga and then decided to only show/animate those and leave out any-and-everything else. This has 2 huge issues. Firstly, character development is virtually zero meaning u don't care about any character and that their actions make no sense at times. Secondly, vast periods of time are missing which is why u get weird quirks like seasons/locations suddenly changing and people being instantly healed after being ruined in, literally, the last scene 10 seconds ago.

[spoiler]What irritated me the most by far was the exclusion of zodd throwing the blade to guts after his sword gets broken by Boscone. It's like a 5 second part so no way was it removed for time reasons. To me, Zodd lurking about is critically important (in hindsight ofc) considering how much the over-arching theme of Berserk is about 'fate', what with Zodd manipulating things numerous times to aid in the ascension of the 5th Godhand.

If i am to go on what people have been saying before me in this thread, the exclusion of the Black dog knights (and therefore wyald?) in the third film is another bad decision because not only is the fight between wyald/guts fucking epic but also is another time zodd pops up to nudge events to further/safeguard griffith's ascension. I've always wondered why the anime downplayed anything that was remotely inhuman/demonic/magic related (we obviously see zodd in ep5 but only because he reveals a major point in the plot, zodd again (in human form) throwing the blade to guts at doldrey, and the brief mention of pixie dust that they apply to guts after the century slayer part to aid his healing before doldrey) until the very end where it all goes mental at the eclipse. The film has also done this. The manga ramps up to the eclipse by introducing the notion that things are not what they seem what with the inhuman beast that is Wyald, whereas the anime and the film just brickwall u with tons of weird shit after seeing nothing but knights and archers for 21 episodes and ur sitting there thinking...wut?[/spoiler]

These films being SO short annoys me also. I'm gonna guess it's cos of a lack of money. A great opportunity missed is what these films are imo.
I'm gonna bet that 90% of the third film will just be grotesque mutilations/killings of the band of the hawk during the eclipse. Sigh.
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

The utter lack of character development is going to damage the integrity of the third film quite a bit (to newcomers). Watching the Eclipse unfold will still unnerve existing Berserk fans, but to people with these movies as the only impression of the story, it will just be a completely random slaughter-fest, and at the end no characters that have gotten any character development will die anyway, Guts, Griffith, and Caska being them.

In the anime/manga as the Hawks die in the Eclipse, needless to say it's extremely shocking and for most a very emotional event. All of the power the Eclipse holds is vested in the fact you've watched the BotH and it's members grow, and have probably become attached to them in some ways. But in the movie, say when Judau is killed, newcomers will likely not even know his name, and see it as little more than "that guy that threw a knife that one time just died". When Pippin takes his last stand, it will just seem like "that giant guy stock character with the big hammer died". The power of the rape scene will still be there though.

Anyway, on a more positive note, I am genuinely looking forward to Skull Knigt's debut in an animated adaptation. Should be awesome. Since apparently after the credits roll in theaters it says "this is the beginning" or something, I guess we're going to be getting more out of this studio after all. I'm not too sure how I feel about that, as to me this studio has proved themselves incompetent and have failed in adapting the source material. But, perhaps they rushed through this on purpose in an attempt to get to the "new" stuff, and they'll take a more serious stab at that.

*edit*
I've always wondered why the anime downplayed anything that was remotely inhuman/demonic/magic related (we obviously see zodd in ep5 but only because he reveals a major point in the plot, zodd again (in human form) throwing the blade to guts at doldrey, and the brief mention of pixie dust that they apply to guts after the century slayer part to aid his healing before doldrey) until the very end where it all goes mental at the eclipse. The film has also done this.
I forgot to respond to this. This is something that has me scratching my head as well. The anime makes a bit more of an attempt at introducing the fantasy elements, being that the first episode shows the brutality of the world most of the story takes place. But after that episode you can just tell they are trying to keep it as "real" as possible. In the manga there's no side stepping at all and it's made abundantly clear this is first and foremost a dark fantasy comic, being that the first three volumes are dedicated to demon slaying with insane shit happening left and right. In these movies though it's going to be a complete blindside to new viewers. Far as I remember Zodd has so far been the only fantasy related element introduced. So yeah, two movies of swords and spears, then a movie that is going to be mostly non-stop demon rape and gore. Makes perfect sense, the transition should be great.
luciferian
Mastered PM

Post by luciferian »

I am saddened about uninclusion of the black dog knights =( it showed another monster besides zodd pre eclipse
Shino
imanewbie

Post by Shino »

As I'm always drunk with love for anything Berserk I find it hard to hate these films, but GD does it drive me mad with a lot of the animation, character development, story continuity, and atmosphere problems it has. Studio 4C really bit off way more than they could chew. I'm reluctantly looking forward to movie 3, but with all these changes there's no way it would have the same impact that I had reading the manga, or even watching the TV series for that matter, had on me.

Hopefully they've learned from their mistakes here, and we can expect the Lost Children chapter to be done much better.... though I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be a fool for getting my hopes up.

Poor Miura. His entire life's work, hastily and sloppily thrown together in such a bombastic fashion. :(
Lying never hurt anybody.
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

interesting decisions they made with this. Well one thing I've learned few things can actually live up to standard that I hold for this series. Hell the last couple of manga releases over the last few years have been subpar IMHO. So I can't even be too mad at this OVA for being ........ 'bad'.
"Context is for Kings"
legato
Found the Edit button

Post by legato »

Sorry if this bump has gotten your hopes up, but is there ANY news on a fourth movie/series pickup?