Guts' Hawk Raiders Sword

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

TheDrizzit
Beware my tactical spam

Guts' Hawk Raiders Sword

Post by TheDrizzit »

What up Evil Genius, been a long ass time since I was last in here. I had a question and was wondering if ya'll could help me out. What would the dimensions of Guts' Sword that he carried during his stay with the Hawks be? I appreciate any/all help! ^_^
That's right!! Another pointless post by me bitches!!! HA!
Starnum
Elven King

Re: Guts' Hawk Raiders Sword

Post by Starnum »

There's really no way to say for sure because the dimensions have never actually been given. We don't even really know how big Guts is. Obviously he and his sword are pretty large. Though this being a medieval fantasy, the people may be shorter than we'd expect. So my humble estimation would be to say that Guts' Hawks' Raider sword would probably be about six feet long and about half a foot wide. Hope that at least helps to give you an idea. That sword is about as long as the Dragon Slayer, its just that the DS is much wider.
TheDrizzit
Beware my tactical spam

Post by TheDrizzit »

what would you think about its thickness? Reason I'm asking all these questions is cuz I'm having a forge make me one... ^_^
That's right!! Another pointless post by me bitches!!! HA!
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

TheDrizzit wrote:what would you think about its thickness? Reason I'm asking all these questions is cuz I'm having a forge make me one... ^_^
This is a guess, but it looked to me like it was probably about a centimeter thick in the middle, and maybe half that at the edge. I could be totally wrong, but that's what it looked like to me.
inkthinker
Found the Edit button

Post by inkthinker »

Gather up as many good pictures of the sword in question and give them to the people who will actually do the metalwork, let them work out the dimensions. It's probably close to the estimates given.

If they make it out of solid steel, it's probably going to weigh about 60lbs. If you're taking it to someone who can machine large parts from various metals using a water jet or lathe, you might consider having it made of something light like aluminum. It really depends on whether you want this as a display piece or a costume piece. If it's strictly for display, having it made out of somewhat authentic materials illustrates how heavy even the smaller Raider's sword is.

If the Dragon Slayer were made of a steel plate 1"x12"x72" it would weigh about 250lbs. If it were iron (which I think it is, but I'm not sure) it would weigh about 225. Either way, no wonder it's seen as ridiculous... Guts is basically carrying the weight of a large man on his shoulders at all times, and he swings that thing with one hand.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, no doubt. He swings it with super human speed really, especially with the Berserker Armor active. I mean, at the very least he uses it with such speed and accuracy as if it were a light weight sword, like a katana. He knows how to use the weight of the sword to his advantage, so while you still get the sense of it being a big heavy sword, he can make that thing fly when he wants to.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Starnum wrote:Yeah, no doubt. He swings it with super human speed really, especially with the Berserker Armor active. I mean, at the very least he uses it with such speed and accuracy as if it were a light weight sword, like a katana. He knows how to use the weight of the sword to his advantage, so while you still get the sense of it being a big heavy sword, he can make that thing fly when he wants to.
But at the same time, one of the things that impresses me about Miura's work is that if you look at the way he uses it, he really does swing it as if it was a massive sword. He almost always performs either a simple horizontal or vertical slash, without any of the fancy sword maneuvers that would (realistically speaking) rip his muscles apart if he tried them with a sword with that kind of mass.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Right, that's what I mean. Despite how fast he is, you still get the sense of the giant size of the sword, with the way he uses it.
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Starnum wrote:Right, that's what I mean. Despite how fast he is, you still get the sense of the giant size of the sword, with the way he uses it.
lol
thats what she said....
"Context is for Kings"
hbi2k
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by hbi2k »

inkthinker wrote:If the Dragon Slayer were made of a steel plate 1"x12"x72" it would weigh about 250lbs. If it were iron (which I think it is, but I'm not sure) it would weigh about 225.
The first time it shows up, it's described as "like a slab of raw iron." Of course, the speaker in that case is Puck, who presumably isn't an expert on swords or metalwork in general, so who knows.
Berserk: The Abridged Series: Beating a dead horse with another dead horse.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Also Puck is an elf so he's probably allergic to iron, like vampires are to silver, so he'd be even more intimidated to it.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

The Herald wrote:Also Puck is an elf so he's probably allergic to iron, like vampires are to silver, so he'd be even more intimidated to it.
I don't think Miura is using that version of elves. We have seen Puck touch Guts sword and armor numerous times, and he's never seemed to demonstrate any ill effects.
legato
Found the Edit button

Post by legato »

@TheDrizzit:

Did you get it made yet? Are you still going to?
Or are you still looking for the exact size of the sword?
If you do I could make some detail pictures of the sword that came with the 100 man killer Guts statue from Art of War, that's a 1-10 scale figure...

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk33 ... 0_1878.jpg
Boxy
imanewbie

Post by Boxy »

The first time it shows up, it's described as "like a slab of raw iron." Of course, the speaker in that case is Puck, who presumably isn't an expert on swords or metalwork in general, so who knows.
I think I remember it being a recurring theme for characters once they see Guts in action. Commenting about the sword only being a sword in name but its more like a large slab of iron. So puck is probably right.