Berserk Abridged Talkback

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Re: Berserk Abridged Talkback

Post by The Herald »

Good thinking on that one. My concern is what are you going to do once you've run out of footage? I personally think that doing montages of the manga would be cool.

Two more things: 1) How many different people do the voices for this? 2) When I saw the part with Judeau and Casca I really did think they were going to get together, and they should have, but Rickert was right, he's too nice :P. I didn't even think really that Guts was going to go back to the hawks, let alone get with Casca.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
hbi2k
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by hbi2k »

The Herald wrote:Good thinking on that one. My concern is what are you going to do once you've run out of footage?
Take a nice long break from making videos. (-: Don't get me wrong, this little hobby of mine is a lot of fun for me, but I also have one of them "real lives," much of which has gone neglected since I started making these. (-:
How many different people do the voices for this?
Just me. The only guest voice so far (other than the voices that are obviously clips from something else, like when I dubbed Cartman's voice over Corkus', etc.) was my lady friend Mel who kindly agreed to voice Integra in the Hellsing one-shot.
Berserk: The Abridged Series: Beating a dead horse with another dead horse.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I can just imagine that you're going to make Slan sound like Krew from Jak 2
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Heh, that was great. Good job.
hbi2k

Post by hbi2k »

Why? Because I love you. Episode 21: "Now I See Bees I Won," is live:

twomz
imanewbie

Post by twomz »

Watching now.

Thank you for making such an AWESOME series.

No, seriously, it rocks. d^.^b (2 thumbs up)
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Awesome episode!!! You got the "I am only badly burned" from Austin Powers right? Man, I loved that movie.

On the other hand, I fucking hated "Sasuke Retrieval Arc", mainly because.....Well, I kinda hate everything related to Naruto, but the reason you mentioned is also valid (they just kept jumping, for god sake!!!!).

This episode was especially awesome because its the first time I understand every single reference to other series/movies.......it makes me feel smart and informed...thanks hbi2k!!!
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Holy crap! You're really gonna get this thing done! Great job as always, but what the hell is that thing at 1:04?
Now I'm gonna go that way and eat ice cream. :mrgreen:

Mystic Quest... :evil:
Last edited by lon3vvolf on Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Check episode 4, 1:48.

Griffith: Ok, you guys go that way, you guys go that way and if we win.......WE ALL GET ICECREAM!!!

PD: Yeah, I know, its kind of strange to see that someone actually took the time to find out in which episode that dialogue fits, but hell, these abridged series are teh shit......besides its 4:43 AM and I really have nothing else to do.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

"Wanna Have sex?"

"Oh God yes"

Pure gold man, pure fucking gold.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

So soon?! Awesome!! Lately you've really been coming out with these quickly. Thanks a lot, hbi2k!!!
Fuji Nagase
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Fuji Nagase »

thanks!
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I'm glad to see you did their little romantic interlude tastefully and yet funny in accordance with your series theme. I was kind of worried it would be a gong show, but good job.

When you were making fun of the Sasuke retrieval arc I thought you were making fun of Berserk's animation, which I agree can be a bit choppy and loopy, but the gigantic pans are actually something I like in Berserk. Like that pan of Guts and Casca together, I wouldn't have the series any other way, makes it feel like an old medieval manuscript in a way.
hbi2k

Post by hbi2k »

Yeah, they definitely cut a lot of corners with the Berserk anime (presumably for budgetary reasons), but at least they were generally able to pull it off with some style. I've occasionally made some jabs about the animation quality, but it's always with love. (-:

And yeah, I'm too big a Guts/Caska shipper to make any jokes DURING their intimate moment, and I thought just skipping it would be too much of a copout, so I took the middle route and just made a little mini-AMV out of it instead. I've always associated that song (which, if you sit down and read between the lines of the lyrics, is a very ambivalent sort of love song about two people who share a moment of passion that results in an unplanned pregnancy) with Guts and Caska anyway, but there's no way it could ever work as a full-length AMV, so it was a good way for me to get some use out of the idea.
Last edited by hbi2k on Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shiva
Mastered PM

Post by Shiva »

So Kyuubi is sealed inside Guts? mhm .... Er wait a minute so who is sealed inside Naruto's body huh?
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Shiva wrote:So Kyuubi is sealed inside Guts? mhm .... Er wait a minute so who is sealed inside Naruto's body huh?

The true overlord of darkness.....the eternal source of all what is wicked and evil in this world....The one who sought dominion over the entire creation.....Mr Rogers!!

Edit: Dammit, I wrote the whole introduction and then stupidly forgot to add the flash......

http://ldopa.net.nyud.net:8090/wp-conte ... owdown.swf
Last edited by Rolos on Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Shiva
Mastered PM

Post by Shiva »

:shock: Who?
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Shiva wrote::shock: Who?
He's like the crazy homeless man that constantly mutters to himself about everyone around him. Just ignore him and keep walking (or posting, whatever).
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Since I only watch Naruto about once a month, because with the way the anime goes that's all I need to, I didn't really get any of that. Anyways, Mr. Rogers is a kids show guy from the late 80s, early 90s. He's deathly boring. And to think he was competing with Sesame Street. Though, Sesame Street isn't the best Jim Henson project out there, it had its time. Now Dark Crystal, that was awesome.

Now about to Berserk Abriged ... I will be sad when it's over, just like when the anime was over. Though, I am anticipating whatever you are going to say for the last little bit when Guts is walking away from Godo's house. Ooh, don't forget that part when Griffith's in the prison and the little demon guys say "our prince" and touch his hand. Most people miss that because it's before the song, not after. I did my first time watching it.

These videos would also be a good device to showcase if you ever thought about going into voiceacting.
baraqstein
imanewbie

Post by baraqstein »

Yeah love the show, really great but um.....................so like the last two episodes, have felt a little...well rushed. The humor is great and all and the end of 21 was pretty funny but uh i wasnt too big of a fan of 20 and 21 only got a few chuckles. Really im not criticising i mean this is YOUR time your taking to do this but for lack of a more tactful way to say this, if you cant do it well dont do it at all. and by that i mean, if your rushed to realese the episodes because of fan backlash, maybe you should just say `fuck em` since its better to present good material than rushed dialogue..........my two cents i guess.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

baraqstein wrote:Yeah love the show, really great but um.....................so like the last two episodes, have felt a little...well rushed. The humor is great and all and the end of 21 was pretty funny but uh i wasnt too big of a fan of 20 and 21 only got a few chuckles.
I'd say your rant is a better example of fan backlash.

Did you even think for a moment that w/ an impending AMV union strike on the horizon, perhaps he is being pressured by the producers at Berserk Abridged Talkback Studios to fulfill his contract obligations under a shortened window?

To be honest I found the last two episodes entertaining w/ their fair share of clever moments. Its ridiculous to assume that hbi has been putting out these shows as if it obligated to do so. I don't believe hbi is making any money off this project, so I see his work to be more of a service to his fans.
Really im not criticising i mean this is YOUR time your taking to do this but for lack of a more tactful way to say this, if you cant do it well dont do it at all. and by that i mean, if your rushed to realese the episodes because of fan backlash, maybe you should just say `fuck em` since its better to present good material than rushed dialogue..........my two cents i guess
:wtf:

In regards to your lack of tact, at least we're in agreement on that.....but that's where it ends.

You actually come off being very critical.....insulting rather. You voice an opinion as if it were so, and try to justify it by suggesting hbi's efforts were rushed d/t some percieved obligation, which is insulting in itself. You are very brazen with your assumptions as to what they would imply, and may want to rethink your words. Because if your intent was to be constructive in your criticism, you were inept in doing so.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Dude you are such a newb.

Anyways, I personally really enjoyed his last efforts and thought they were done well. Casca had a lot of talking, which feels a little off key because his voice he does for her is a little grating, but that adds to the comedy effect. Casca is a grating character, so that voice works. Other than that, his other voices have been great and this whole series would be perfect as an audition tape for a voice acting firm.
wolfman1718
imanewbie

Post by wolfman1718 »

"We could really use another pair of hands..... swinging a giant sword"

"I am going to try very hard to pretend this conversation never happened and your going to help me by never ever bringing it up again. If your very very lucky someday i might let you have sex with me again."

I love what you do. keep it up!
hbi2k

Post by hbi2k »

Here's a little something some of us at YouTube have been cooking up for the holidays:

You might not get a lot of it if you haven't been following Naruto and Yu Yu Hakusho Abridged, but there's plenty of Berserk stuff in there too.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

That was pretty good! How long have you guys been working on this?