Berserk Abridged Talkback

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

hbi2k
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Re: Berserk Abridged Talkback

Post by hbi2k »

Well, we've been "working" on it since early November, but our schedules are such that we could only actually get together to work on it maybe once every couple weeks. We didn't start getting really serious about it until we started to feel the time crunch a week or two ago, and we did all the editing within the span of a couple days.
Berserk: The Abridged Series: Beating a dead horse with another dead horse.
FightClub

Post by FightClub »

As cool as that was, I'd have to say your shit is the best out of all of it. Maybe I'm just biased, but those guys don't really deserve to be making jokes with you. Berserk ftw!
Rolos wrote:-He was born from a corpse? Has been killing (or assisting in the process) people ever since he was 5? Hahahaa...talk about having a shitty life. Its hilarious because he's not me.
hbi2k

Post by hbi2k »

FightClub wrote:As cool as that was, I'd have to say your shit is the best out of all of it. Maybe I'm just biased, but those guys don't really deserve to be making jokes with you. Berserk ftw!
A couple of points that should probably be made in response to that: first, the scriptwriting was a true collaboration. All three of us with a writing credit were present during every stage of the writing (through Skype), and with only a couple of exceptions, I'd be hard-pressed to recall who first pitched any particular gag. So if there are parts of it that you don't like as much (which is totally fine, everyone's entitled to their own opinion), I'm more than likely at least as much to blame as the others. And likewise any credit for parts that you do like should go Lani, Vegeta, and Masako at least as much as to me.

Second, as I mentioned before, a LOT of the jokes having to do with Naruto and YYH are running gags that you probably wouldn't get unless you've been following their abridged series, so it's not too terribly surprising if you like the Berserk parts better.

It's been very interesting seeing how our different fanbases have reacted to the collaboration, since we each posted the videos on our own accounts and so are each getting seperate sets of comments. Naruto Abridged has a much larger fanbase on YouTube than either BAS or YYHAS, but half their comments are along the lines of "Durr, Kakashi drunk = teh funniez." Masako's actually mentioned to me that he envies how (relatively) mature and intelligent ("erudite" I think was his exact wording) my fanbase is compared to his. (-:
FightClub

Post by FightClub »

Mature and intelligent, that's a new one for me. Considering I laugh every time something gets stabbed or a gay joke is dropped.
Rolos wrote:-He was born from a corpse? Has been killing (or assisting in the process) people ever since he was 5? Hahahaa...talk about having a shitty life. Its hilarious because he's not me.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

FightClub wrote:Mature and intelligent, that's a new one for me. Considering I laugh every time something gets stabbed or a gay joke is dropped.
Hence, I presume, the word "relatively." At least we can manage complete sentences, most of the time.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

Well, i watched most of Naruto abridged and to me is kinda like watching Conan O´brien...here we have a show that´s made solely to make a guy laugh and for most of the show you don´t even crack a smile, until out of nowhere a piece of gold comes out that´s so good that you decide to watch the rest hoping for more good jokes at a faster pace and then you wait....

See where i´m going here?

That said, this was a great collaboration, i´v never watched Yu Yu Hakusho abridged but the guy that makes it seemed alittle better than the one that makes Naruto, i especially like Corkus flirting with the 14 year old girl, that was gold.
Fuji Nagase
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Fuji Nagase »

its cool everyone got together and did that. thanks!
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

While everyone is free to call it great or crap... I just appreciate that you guys made something like that. Quite funny indeed.
hbi2k

Post by hbi2k »

This episode took longer than I would have liked-- I got a cold right after New Years and was unable to record any lines for a while. Hope you enjoy it!

Episode 22: "The Revenge of Phil"

War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I looked through a thesaurus for "superb" (I was curious) and a couple of the informal synonyms made me chuckle, so I'll use them.

That episode was ace, keep up the A1 work! 8)
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Shiva
Mastered PM

Post by Shiva »

oh yeah return of the diet pills omg ^^ hahaha
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

NAUGHTY!

That was classic in the xmas special and it's great that you brought it back in this episode! Great work as always, man.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I love the links to spaceballs and legend of zelda. And it's pure genius how you linked together the demons and diet pills thing with how Griffith is all emaciated by this point. Though, I don't get the Phil character ... I also missed there being no Skull Knight. Otherwise it was awesome.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Winter
imanewbie

Post by Winter »

love it hbi2k, i almost fell out of my chair laughing a couple times.
hbi2k

Post by hbi2k »

My lady friend just pointed out to me that when you watch it embedded, the YouTube watermark obscures the joke at the end. Your best bet for maximum goodness is to watch it directly on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRYiaXgekX0), watermark-free.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Thanks hbi2k, that was wonderful! These things are just awesome.
wolfman1718
imanewbie

Post by wolfman1718 »

The chocking fetish was genius, I also loved the cowboy bebop reference.
hbi2k

Post by hbi2k »

And now, a few announcements:

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Uh...k.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Oh, lucky, your amv got a spot at the Phoenix Comicon! I feel that I should send mine in to Sakuracon again.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
hbi2k

Post by hbi2k »

Here's a little something for everyone before I leave for the con tomorrow:

Berserk Abridged 23: "Everybody Hurts"

The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

hbi2k wrote:Here's a little something for everyone before I leave for the con tomorrow:

Berserk Abridged 23: "Everybody Hurts"

What software do you use for making these gems?
Let's put a smile on that face...............
hbi2k

Post by hbi2k »

Ulead VideoStudio 10. No particular reason for preferring that over WIndows Movie Maker or Adobe Premiere (which seem to be the two that most people use) except that I got an early version of it free with an analog video capture card I bought way back in the pre-DVD day, so it's what I learned to edit with. I also use Audacity any time I need to do anything complicated with sound mixing (which isn't very often), the GIMP for still imaging editing when necessary, and DVD Decrypter to rip my footage.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

hbi2k wrote:Ulead VideoStudio 10. No particular reason for preferring that over WIndows Movie Maker or Adobe Premiere (which seem to be the two that most people use) except that I got an early version of it free with an analog video capture card I bought way back in the pre-DVD day, so it's what I learned to edit with. I also use Audacity any time I need to do anything complicated with sound mixing (which isn't very often), the GIMP for still imaging editing when necessary, and DVD Decrypter to rip my footage.
Thanks, I'm playing with the trial version of Premiere and its pissing me off!

BTW great episode. But its gonna take true genius to do this with what we have all seen coming with the content layed before you.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
hbi2k

Post by hbi2k »

Yeah, I tried out Premiere a little since it's supposed to be more flexible than Ulead, but I couldn't get used to it so I switched back. Ulead does what I need it to do and it's very user-friendly.