Berserk Cosplay

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

azriell
imanewbie

Berserk Cosplay

Post by azriell »

I have read this board for a while now and watched/read berserk for longer, so i thought it was about time id contribute somthing. Im a bit of an artist, and one of the things i like to do is Cosplay. I go to a number of conventions on the east coast, even taught a class at the convention Otakon in '06. This last year i decided i wanted to do a Berserk cosplay, but not the older easier costome, im talking the Berserker armor, wolf's head, Dragon Slayer and all. I will hopefully have this done for Otakon this year, so if any of you are there can see it up close, but until then and for everyone else, i figured ad i finished the pieces id share with you guys.

Oh, and the armor will be made of Thermal plastics, the sword is foam coring and fiberglas, the helm is mainly cardboard, paper mache & hotglue. Although i will do touch ups with epoxy.

Wolf's Head Helmet:

Once the Sword has fiber glass over it ill take some pictures, right now its in several pieces as i have to size it down a little and glue it.

I will post more pictures as they come. If you want to see the more "in progress" pics of the helm to see how it was constructed, lemme know. What your seeing above is really, needs a lil more paper mache, touch ups and a paint job.
TheDrizzit
Beware my tactical spam

Re: Berserk Cosplay

Post by TheDrizzit »

I love you...
That's right!! Another pointless post by me bitches!!! HA!
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Wow... seriously amazing. I'm going to otakon this year too. Still no idea what to cosplay as, but a Gutts costume has always been a dream of mine... and I'm taking about real metal armor =P
azriell
imanewbie

Post by azriell »

You know, i completely forgot to mention this, For Otakon, i will definatly have a Shrieke and a Serpico, and hopefully an Ishidoro and Caska (birth fiest w/ bleeding Brand). I was just bummed the other girls coming with us dont wanna cosplay or id have tried for a Farnese as well.

I will be making Serpico's Air Elemental Sword and Ishidoro's Fire Elemental dagger, possibly his sword as well if i have time. I will post those pics as well as things are created. Both will likely be crafted from wood (oak).
thesyndrome
imanewbie

Post by thesyndrome »

cosplay has never been something i was fond of (we have all seen those pics where they go horribly wrong); but i have ALWAYS wanted to cosplay guts, the only thing eluding me was the sword, if i made it myself it would suck nuts, and ive never seen a buyable replica to scale.

heres a proposition, when you have finished the sword, can you post pics? if it turns out well i would be very tempted to pay you to make me one, the price would be negotiable, but $100 at the most sounds fair, right?
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

where the hell where you all when i was hitting up otakon from 1997 to 2003 ? :)
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Damn that is some work. I really don't think I could even get up to that stage if I tried. Good work hope to see the rest sometime.
"Context is for Kings"
azriell
imanewbie

Post by azriell »

Im going to be doing some of the glueing for the sword tonight, so you should get to see it in its current Pink Foam glory.

As far as making one to sell, well, lets just say this one was pricey. A 2nd one would cost less cause id have all the tools and know exactly what i would need supply wise, so no trial and error. But figure PVC pipe, thick insulation foam x2, gorrila glue x2-3, fiberglass cloth x4, resin, bondo, epoxy, wood dowels, sand paper, paint and a few small pieces of wood, pvc, plastic chain for the details. As they said in Jurrasic Park, i "Spared no Expense" when constructing this thing because i wanted to ensure it was durable, manageable, strong, light as possible without being compromising, and accurate to the concept of "It was too big, too thick, too heavy and too long, it was more like a slab of iron". I think i got that right.
hbi2k
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by hbi2k »

azriell wrote:But figure PVC pipe, thick insulation foam x2, gorrila glue x2-3, fiberglass cloth x4, resin, bondo, epoxy, wood dowels, sand paper, paint and a few small pieces of wood, pvc, plastic chain for the details.
Don't forget shipping, which would NOT be cheap for a package big enough to hold both the sword and enough packing materials to ensure that it arrives safely. (-:

By the way, great job so far. I'm constantly fascinated by people who are actually GOOD at cosplay (as opposed to myself, who chooses easy costumes in order to make up for my own inadequacies at sewing / anything arts-and-craftsy in general).
Berserk: The Abridged Series: Beating a dead horse with another dead horse.
citanuzuki666
notanewb

Post by citanuzuki666 »

I simply cannot wait for that to be done. It looks like it will be amazing. You must show pics of it.

I wish I could go to Otakon but im stuck with just Anime Weekend Atlanta :(
azriell
imanewbie

Post by azriell »

As soon as i drop a copy of photoshop onto my PC, ill have some of the 'in progress' version pictures of the helm and sword. Gonna just upload them to Cosplay.com and link to the gallery from here as to not eat up tons of bandwidth with like 30 pictures. But i need to compress them first cause they are all over the 300k limit of the site.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

looks like it's going to turn out awesome. you should make a little pedastle or get a chair to crouch on if you dispaly it on stage or something, just like when he was crouching on the top of the church (if i'm remembering the scene correctly.
FightClub

Post by FightClub »

Someone needs to use this bitch for cosplay.

Rolos wrote:-He was born from a corpse? Has been killing (or assisting in the process) people ever since he was 5? Hahahaa...talk about having a shitty life. Its hilarious because he's not me.
citanuzuki666
notanewb

Post by citanuzuki666 »

Nice!
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

That sword looks like its made of tin. Its good for cosplay... but I want the real damn thing!
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Its a shame the blade isn't black like its supposed to be.
grimm
imanewbie

Post by grimm »

WHAT?! the blade is suppose to be black?
>>
<<
at the anime expo there was a guy that cosplayed as gatts! it was awesome the hair and everything.

on the side note: at the artist alley one of the guys told me that Berserk is going to be seen on the big screen.......i kind of wished he didnt tell me that, i believe him. wishful thinking perhaps.
hbi2k

Post by hbi2k »

lon3vvolf wrote:That sword looks like its made of tin. Its good for cosplay... but I want the real damn thing!
Make sure and get a forklift to go with it. (-:
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

grimm wrote:WHAT?! the blade is suppose to be black?
Eh? Yeah, you didn't know that? Sarcasm perhaps? Well, the sword IS made out of iron, hence its black casting. Wrought iron naturally has a black shade to it, its not like the blade was dyed or anything. :P
FightClub

Post by FightClub »

Starnum wrote:Eh? Yeah, you didn't know that? Sarcasm perhaps? Well, the sword IS made out of iron, hence its black casting. Wrought iron naturally has a black shade to it, its not like the blade was dyed or anything. :P
Image Iron ore...
Rolos wrote:-He was born from a corpse? Has been killing (or assisting in the process) people ever since he was 5? Hahahaa...talk about having a shitty life. Its hilarious because he's not me.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Starnum wrote:
grimm wrote:WHAT?! the blade is suppose to be black?
Eh? Yeah, you didn't know that? Sarcasm perhaps? Well, the sword IS made out of iron, hence its black casting. Wrought iron naturally has a black shade to it, its not like the blade was dyed or anything. :P
Forged steel isn't black. I don't think even the Dragonslayer could be made out of iron. It's got to be steel, and I guess the references in the manga are figurative. You can clearly see Godo forging it.
The center part of the blade is black because it's not polished, and it's an after-effect of the forging process.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

However there have been several people who referred to it as not quite a sword, but a huge slab of iron.
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

newbified wrote:However there have been several people who referred to it as not quite a sword, but a huge slab of iron.
So I have to ask myself whether they are experts?
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
hbi2k

Post by hbi2k »

Brainpiercing wrote:So I have to ask myself whether they are experts?
Yeah, the way those word balloons appear, it's unclear whether it's just a disembodied narrator, or possibly Puck's internal monologue. In the former case he's probably just speaking figuratively; in the latter, well, what does Puck know about swords? All he ever wields is a dandelion.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, the center of the blade is black, not the sharpened edges. Also, most wrough iron IS black. That's wrought iron, not iron ore. *Sideways glance at Fightclub.* Also, the Dragon Slayer has always been refered to as being made of iron, so I'm inclined to take the manga's word for it. As I remember this was even said from a narrative position once, and I doubt that it would've been called iron all this time, and never steel, if it was in fact made of steel. ;)