Evil-Genius's Berserk Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Guts[LCF]
imanewbie

Re: Evil-Genius's Berserk Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Post by Guts[LCF] »

True that, but apparently that wasn't their reason, the owner of the forum/site and scanlator told me he was not interested as where the story was going. Its a shame though, they would come out with great high quality scans because it was taken from the best source possible, the actual manga books. Oh well Evil_Genius have great quality as well, maybe not up to par with the image quality of the Hawks but thats only normal considering they take it from the magazine and Hawks took it from the actual book. Anyways, I'm glad another group exists to scanlate this and with as much quality as you guys have hopefully what happened to the Hawks won't ever happen here.

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well I don't know about everyone else, but I care a lot about what's going to happen in the story. ;)
kalifani6
imanewbie

Post by kalifani6 »

v.33 ch.298??? Is it ever coming ?
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

kalifani6 wrote:v.33 ch.298??? Is it ever coming ?
don't jinx it
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

This tends to fall under the heading of questions you're not supposed to ask, especially on a first post. It says so in this very thread. When anyone knows anything about the new chapter, it'll be announced. Until then, wait patiently like the rest of us.
hbi2k
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by hbi2k »

Oh, it's already out. I've got it right here. Jump for it, noob! Jump!
Berserk: The Abridged Series: Beating a dead horse with another dead horse.
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

hbi2k wrote:
Oh, it's already out. I've got it right here. Jump for it, noob! Jump!
a response for you from another forum a few weeks ago:
berserk0015 wrote:
Saiyoid4 wrote:it came out 2 weeks ago! i can't believe u haven't read it yet it's fuckin awesome
It's a stupid lie. Ban the mother fucker!!. Even if it was supposed to be sarcasm it's still stupid. Ban the mother fucker!!.
hbi2k

Post by hbi2k »

Yeah, you're right, that was mean, wasn't it? But seriously, dude, if any of us had any idea when the next chapter was coming out, it would be front-page news. You don't have to ask about it, and doing so will only annoy people.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Right, it's not as if we all know when the next chapter will come out and are just keeping it secret or something. Sheesh.
arke
Beware my tactical spam

Post by arke »

Right. Of course. No reason to hide it. At all. Nope.
nakysnaky
imanewbie

Post by nakysnaky »

Hi! My post is concerning raw scans of Berserk: I'd really like them! I was wondering if there's any way someone can upload (ideally) the beginning of the series in the original language. I want to restart reading the series in Japanese, and if someday eventually everything that's been released in Japan is uploaded here, I'd be ecstatic. If I could even be linked to another website that has the series in Japanese, I'd still be extremely grateful. I've scoured the internet to no avail. I know at least a few other people would really like the raw scans as well. Thanks in advance.
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

volume 1-23 are there.
http://mangahelpers.com/m/berserk/raws/

But you could always buy it. amazon.jp or yesasia.com have it.
nakysnaky
imanewbie

Post by nakysnaky »

Nice! Thanks a lot! I might actually be able to find Berserk in Japanese at some book stores nearby, but I can't really justify spending money on comic books at the moment. :/ Someday, though....

Thanks again!
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

you cant justify spending money on something someone worked their ass off to produce? fail
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

The Herald wrote:you cant justify spending money on something someone worked their ass off to produce? fail
Please, don't be such a retard. He says he cant afford it right now, not that he doesn't want to help Miura reap the benefits of his hard work.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

i'm not being a retard, just an ass for calling him out on the wording he used. i just hate how, especially here in my university, people pirate entertainment off the internet and the wonder why shows get canceled and new movies lose funding and whatnot. the internet is a good information sharer, don't get me wrong, and sites like EG do a good service by providing updated translations and whatnot, but a line must be drawn somewhere before copyright law is infringed upon. and this is all i'm saying about this subject before i get into a long winded argument that ends up in the interstice.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

The Herald wrote:i'm not being a retard, just an ass for calling him out on the wording he used. i just hate how, especially here in my university, people pirate entertainment off the internet and the wonder why shows get canceled and new movies lose funding and whatnot. the internet is a good information sharer, don't get me wrong, and sites like EG do a good service by providing updated translations and whatnot, but a line must be drawn somewhere before copyright law is infringed upon. and this is all i'm saying about this subject before i get into a long winded argument that ends up in the interstice.
But on the other hand if I don't have the money to spare to purchase the product in the first place, than the author/producer looses nothing by my downloading it. And since I then know of the product's awesomeness, later (when I have more money) I can buy it to support the author. So in that way the internet acts as free publicity. Personally, I hate it when people complain about the money "lost" to free downloads, without looking at the other side. After all, libraries also let people view books for free, but nobody claims that libraries cost authors money. It's the same idea: if the product is worthwhile, free publicity is almost always a good thing for sales in the long run.
FightClub

Post by FightClub »

The Herald wrote:you cant justify spending money on something someone worked their ass off to produce? fail
We don't all live with our mother. Some of us have "bills" to pay, meaning we can't afford to piss off our savings on a whim for Berserk. Someday, when you grow up to be a big boy, you'll really understand what "working your ass off" and "spending money" means.
Istvan wrote:But on the other hand if I don't have the money to spare to purchase the product in the first place, than the author/producer looses nothing by my downloading it. And since I then know of the product's awesomeness, later (when I have more money) I can buy it to support the author. So in that way the internet acts as free publicity. Personally, I hate it when people complain about the money "lost" to free downloads, without looking at the other side. After all, libraries also let people view books for free, but nobody claims that libraries cost authors money. It's the same idea: if the product is worthwhile, free publicity is almost always a good thing for sales in the long run.
Agree with this totally, if it wasn't for the internet, I wouldn't have known of Berserk. If I hadn't of been able to read the Manga, I'd probably never have imported the game from moonspeak land.
Rolos wrote:-He was born from a corpse? Has been killing (or assisting in the process) people ever since he was 5? Hahahaa...talk about having a shitty life. Its hilarious because he's not me.
turkey
Found the Edit button

Post by turkey »

I think you picked the wrong shop for anti-piracy Herald, I'ver personally saved thousands upon thousands in illegal downloading. Berserk is no different. How you spend your money is your business.
hbi2k

Post by hbi2k »

FightClub wrote:We don't all live with our mother. Some of us have "bills" to pay, meaning we can't afford to piss off our savings on a whim for Berserk. Someday, when you grow up to be a big boy, you'll really understand what "working your ass off" and "spending money" means.
I work my ass off at two jobs to make ends meet. You know what I do when I still can't afford to buy a luxury item like manga? I wait until I CAN, and THEN I buy it, because THAT'S what responsible adults do. I don't use my own financial circumstances to justify screwing somebody ELSE out of money. We're not talking about a necessity like food or clothing. Entertainment is not a right.

Look, obviously I wouldn't be here posting at the EG forums if I felt that ANY breach of copyright was an unforgivable sin. But I only download what's not legally available to buy where I live, and if/when a legit version comes out legally, I buy it. I keep up-to-date on the legit English release of Berserk and every other manga I read through scanlations, and I would hope that everyone else here does the same (unless they live somewhere that it's not licensed and thus can't, of course).

Real fans support what they love. Douchebags leech. Simple as that.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I consider myself to be a pirate, so my view on piracy is a little different. I don't believe in paying 20-30 bucks for 3-4 episodes of anime. That's just fucking stupid, especially when you know they can fit more episodes on a DVD than that. I don't feel bad about pirating anime because paying regular price is a fucking ripoff. I already spend enough on games and memorabilia as it is. That'll just have to be good enough. Manga prices aren't so bad, but I can't afford to buy every copy of every volume of manga I've ever read. I have a child to support. So if I can get access to something that makes me happy for free, and have more money to take care of my family, then that works for me. If that makes me a worthless douche leecher, then that's the title I'll willingly bare. Honestly though, most of the manga I read is online, so I don't even have a personal copy. Also, a lot of the anime that I watch comes on TV in Japan for free. I pay cable (and it's expensive), so why don't I get to watch the shows I like? Just because I'm in a different country I have to pay exorbitant DVD fees just to watch the same shit? That's another reason I got into scanlations, because I want to help to give back to the manga community. I may just be making selfish justifications, but piracy laws aren't the only laws I break, and I'm not going to feel bad about something that's as minor as Jay Walking, IMO. I don't pirate American movies, or anything else I feel that I can get at a fair price, especially if it's made in my own country. I just feel that anime DVD's cost too much, for far too little, and I'm not saying I never buy manga. I just don't buy everything I read. Do what you yourself believe is right, that's what I do. I have my own kind of pirate's code, and I do support my favorite artists as much as I can.
hbi2k

Post by hbi2k »

Even as recently as five or ten years ago I might've been more sympathetic to that point of view, Starnum, but the days of paying $5 an episode for anime are over. Single disc releases are on their way out and multi-disc box sets with per-episode pricing comparable to American television shows on DVD are in.

Of course, regardless of the price, you definitely shouldn't be forced to buy anime sight-unseen on the off chance you MIGHT like it just because it doesn't happen to be shown on television in your home country. But there are all kinds of ways to try out anime for free or very VERY cheap without resorting to piracy these days. For a $9 a month Netflix subscription (SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper than cable, which is a total ripoff compared to any number of legal alternatives) you can get all the anime you'd ever want. Watch what looks interesting, buy what you really like if you want to have a permanent copy of it for your collection, forget the rest. Between that and streaming sites like Crunchyroll, Hulu, the official Funimation site, etc., there's really no excuse to download torrents except in a VERY narrow set of circumstances.

The fact that you pay too much for cable doesn't give you any rights to shows that don't receive any kind of kickback from your overpriced monthly cable bill. That doesn't make your piracy any more justified, it just, forgive me for being blunt, makes you a foolish consumer. If you're not getting your money's worth out of your cable bill, cancel it and put that money toward another entertainment service that IS worth it.

More than any other time in recent history, the Internet has given us the power to decide what sort of entertainment we're willing to pay to support. On the whole I don't think that's a bad thing, but it DOES mean that the responsibility is shifted to us to support the things we love. It shouldn't take an industry-wide crisis for anime and manga fans to realize that their actions have consequences.

(Once again, I'm speaking only of the situation common to those who live in the U.S. Everyone's situation is different and there are a lot of places in the world where there aren't nearly as many reasonable, legal options for anime fans, so I'd never presume to speak for everyone.)
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well, maybe things are getting better. I don't know, I haven't bought an anime DVD in years. I'll check in to it. As for the issue of cable, if I didn't think I was getting my money's worth, I wouldn't pay for it. I watch a lot of TV, and I use my DVR a lot too, so I wouldn't want to get rid of that. I'm just saying, you can watch shows like Naruto on cable in Japan, so I don't think I should have to pay ten dollars per episode. Also, I have Netflix as well, and there's a lot of anime I like that isn't on there, believe me, I've checked, so I know. To me a leecher is someone who can't even be bothered to seed something you've DL'ed. If you do what you can to give back to the community and support the artists, then you're not a leecher, even if you don't buy everything you read and watch at full price. Basically, all I'm trying to say is, I don't think the issue of piracy of anime and manga is as cut and dry as all that. I think it depends on each person's individual circumstances. I'm no saint, and even though I know I'm stealing, I do what I can, and to me it's not the same as stealing from a store or a person. I'm sure Miura-san is well paid, so I could care less if a big production company take a small hit because I wasn't able to buy every single thing I DL'ed, especially an American production company that's merely reproducing something and trying to sell it to me at a premium). I've always followed my own code in life, and that's all that matters to me. I don't even pirate American movies or music (anymore), because I have affordable alternatives, like Netflix. However, with anime and manga it's a bit different, IMO. It's almost a compromise for me. Like I said, I don't even have a personal copy of a lot of the stuff I've read/watched, and when I do DL anime, it's not the same as getting a spiffy new DVD and case and stuff. Also, some might try to justify higher prices for anime because it has to be imported and redubbed. However, I'd be just as happy with watching a TV quality version with subs, as I don't like most English voice acting, and rarely watch anime in English. This is just my own personal feelings, of course, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that disagree with me and think I'm in the wrong, and that's fine. By all means, if you can afford to pay for everything you've DL'ed, then do so. Alternatively, if you have the willpower to do without until you can afford it, that too is a viable option. Sadly, I'm not so strong willed. To each their own, I just don't think it's a simple matter of black and white, but that's me. Honestly though, I know I'm getting something for free, and I won't lie, I do revel in that to some extent. However, I do what I can to give back, even if it's not as much as it maybe "should be", and I think that should count for something at least. XD
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

A couple of common misconceptions that the RIAA and MPAA have been pushing for years which simply aren't true:

- A song or movie downloaded illegally from the internet does not equal a sale lost.
- A legal purchase of a song or movie does not directly benefit the artists nor does it mean it'll ensure further production from the same artist.

I love this quote from a study called The Effect of File Sharing on Record Sales An Empirical Analysis, published in the Journal of Political Economy in 2007:

"Downloads have an effect on sales which is statistically indistinguishable from zero. Our estimates are inconsistent with claims that file sharing is the primary reason for the decline in music sales during our study period."

I'd extrapolate from this that it's the same situation for the movie and anime industry. Here's the full study if you wanna read it:

http://www.unc.edu/~cigar/papers/JPE%20 ... -12-12.pdf
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Yup, the ones that take the hit are the middlemen.

As for me, I wont even pretend to be bothered by the moral implications of downloading stuff freely form the Internet.
I download something, I watch/read it, and, if its worth it, I buy the damn thing. That's it.

PS: Why cant everyone do like the creators of South Park? I don't know the details, but their sales system seems to work.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope