Find the Berserk connections (Symbolism thread)

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Aeriel
Mastered PM

Post by Aeriel »

Ummm...

From Wikipedia:
Selkies (also known as silkies or selchies) are mythological creatures in Irish, Icelandic, and Scottish mythology that can transform themselves from seals to humans, where "selkie" is simply the Orcadian word for "seal". The legend apparently originated on the Orkney Islands.

Legends

Selkies are able to transform to human form by shedding their seal skins and can revert to seal form by putting their selkie skin back on. Stories concerning selkies are generally romantic tragedies. Sometimes the human will not know that their lover is a selkie, and wakes to find them gone. Other times the human will hide the selkie's skin, thus preventing them from returning to seal form. A selkie can only make contact with one particular human for a short amount of time before they must return to the sea. They are not able to make contact with that human again for seven years, unless the human is to steal their selkie's skin and hide it or burn it.[citation needed] The Grey Selkie of Suleskerry is a ballad typical of the former, while The Secret of Roan Inish is a movie telling the latter tale. Seal Child is a children's novel by Sylvia Peck which details a modern telling of this myth. The Folk Keeper, a "young readers" novel by Franny Billingsley also uses the selkie myth powerfully. The recent album "Honeycomb" by Pixies front-man Frank Black includes a tune called "Selkie Bride", which alludes to the Selkie legend.
Except for the name, I do not see a connection...
Tolgarien
imanewbie

Post by Tolgarien »

Starnum wrote:Yeah, I was thinking of that too. However, I look at it like this. Miura was the freak who named a woman after a man. At least I named my daughter after a female character. :P
well, as you see, Caska always wanted to be a man, besides, in this manga, few women go fight...well i don't know if this thing helps in something, but Miura would be thought about that assassin of Ceasar and Created Caska... a female, but that always wanted to be a man
With a Kind Of Magic hehe xD~
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yes, I've read the Wiki entry for selkies Aeriel. Like I said, I don't really see the connection either. However, the person who told me about it mentioned that selkies were known to use spiritual control, much like Schierke and the elemental kings. I still don't know about it, but at best, it's a very loose connection. *shrugs*
Tolgarien
imanewbie

Post by Tolgarien »

I was seeing a thing that is interesting about the words that Schierke Spell.... "Adonai Tsuabaoto" hehehehe, this spell words, she Said when the damn Ishidoro made a fight with a troll (the first meet with Schierke).
She Made a Circle and spell this words.....i was searching (Searchin yet) and i Discover that "Adonai" Was the Form of the Jews Call God....in Hebrew Means "Lord" ...in plural is Adonis...and i Remember that Adonis was the son of Jilius (well, i think is this)...That means "My Lords"...haven't any symbolism, but only means these things....i'm Searching aboute Tsuabaoto....but i'm not finding
With a Kind Of Magic hehe xD~
Aeriel
Mastered PM

Post by Aeriel »

Starnum wrote:Yes, I've read the Wiki entry for selkies Aeriel. Like I said, I don't really see the connection either. However, the person who told me about it mentioned that selkies were known to use spiritual control, much like Schierke and the elemental kings. I still don't know about it, but at best, it's a very loose connection. *shrugs*
Interesting...

Well, in the end, we can always kidnap Miura, tie him to a chair, and torture him till he spills out all his secrets!!! Bwahahahaha!!! :twisted:

:P
behemot011
imanewbie

branding symbol

Post by behemot011 »

In this post http://www.evil-genius.us/forums/viewto ... mbol#84575
is an explanation of the branding symbol, but I thought to look for it on symbols.com and this is what i found:
39:22 · The rune for odal, i.e. real estate, nonmovable property.
The odal rune was the last letter of the runic alphabet, and 1606a (in Group 16) for fä (cattle), i.e. movable or personal property, was is the first.
This rune, turned upside down, is the symbol of the Scottish independency party and was used at the elections in Great Britain in 1992.
It is also a Swedish twentieth-century graffiti sign conveying a nationalistic message.
Link: http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/39/3922.html

Must admit it has some similarity!
Aeriel
Mastered PM

Post by Aeriel »

That seems logical, as Gutts is indeed the property of Spiritual World TM :wink:
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Could be, the mark really does seem like a mark of ownership or a claim in a lot of ways. On the other hand, it's not quite the same, so it could just be a coincidence. So it looks like to know for sure we are once more reduced to Aeriel's idea of kidnapping Miura and making him tell us once and for all.
behemot011
imanewbie

Post by behemot011 »

It probably is a coincidence, but it could just be a some kind of connection... maybe Miura modeled his brand using this symbol.. who knows? Miura does!
So, I think that we should probably first try to buy him off, by taking him to lunch, and then maybe get him a couple of whores and organize orgies... just to get to know him better... and then kidnap him.... and maybe torture him a little - for good measure.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Certainly a possibility, but I'm not sure if it'll do any good. Based on the manga, Miura seems to have a lot of expierence of both orgies and torture, so I'm not sure that either will be enough to get him to reveal his secrets.
salle
imanewbie

Post by salle »

Just thought I should make some things clear...

The Romanian word "Nosferatu" was made famous in the english speaking world by Bram Stoker's Dracula, according to wikipedia he used the word to mean undead, and the etymology of the word seems to be "not breathing".

The german movie named Nosferatu is based on the book Dracula, but the director couldn't get the rights to the book and thus changed the story somewhat and named it Nosferatu.

The national symbol for america isn't a hawk but the bald eagle.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Oh, yeah, we know. What does that have to do with anything? At all?
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

the most logical assumption is that someone made the reference somewhere else in the thread a loong time ago.
Kshatriya
imanewbie

Post by Kshatriya »

Benjamin Franklin wanted the national bird to be the Turkey.
Kshatriya: A protector of lands; one who upholds the codes of honour, bravery and loyalty.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Benjamin Franklin wanted the national bird to be the Turkey.
Also true, but I'm still not true what this has to do with anything, or especially what it has to do with Berserk symbolism. 'Cause no matter how much I think about it, I'm coming up blank right now.
Kshatriya
imanewbie

Post by Kshatriya »

OK, yeah, there's no tie-in. It would seem some newbs have threadjacked.

Someone earlier in this thread (I think) likened Berserk to Alexandre Dumas' "The Count of Monte Cristo." The more I think about it, the more similarities I find.

Quick, someone post something else to get the thread back on topic!
Kshatriya: A protector of lands; one who upholds the codes of honour, bravery and loyalty.
salle
imanewbie

Post by salle »

Veageus wrote:Nosferatu: Seems to be the name of an old German horror film ^^
thorgrim29 wrote:Also (though its a long shot), maybe deep sarcasm about the white hawk (could be the usa, with their emblem bird being a white headed hawk of some kind) acquiering a kingdom while pretexting he is protecting the world against the evil orientals.
I thought it was obvious... well there you have the quotes I was reffering to.

Oh and just so I'm "contributing" with something:
The name "Pippin" might be taken from LotR, as an ironic reference.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Kshatriya wrote:OK, yeah, there's no tie-in. It would seem some newbs have threadjacked.

Someone earlier in this thread (I think) likened Berserk to Alexandre Dumas' "The Count of Monte Cristo." The more I think about it, the more similarities I find.

Quick, someone post something else to get the thread back on topic!

Only two things in common. 1. taking away his loved one just like Femto made Casca crazy by raping her. Edmond only lost her to his nemesis too.

2. the revenge part of course.

actually there is third one too, taking away his kid from him just like Femto made Guts,Casca kid some kind of monster when he raped her.
Kshatriya
imanewbie

Post by Kshatriya »

2. the revenge part of course.

I'd say the revenge part is largely what drives Berserk. Everyone wants to see Gutts tear Griffith a new one. At least I do. As for the Count of Monte Cristo, it is the quintessential revenge classic. I'm not saying there are obvious parallels everywhere, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that Miura has read the book - and enjoyed it.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

That book made revenge stories what they are today ;)

It was the first book i ever read actually, it made me an avid book reader.

After rereading vol 3 where Guts meets Femto first after everything, i want soo much Guts to tear Femto a new one :twisted:
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

But although both are revenge stories, the methods the Count uses to get his refenge are so totally different in nature. Of all of his actual enemies, does he actually (personally I mean) kill any of them? I'm pretty sure that he doesn't, he sets up situations to destroy them instead. Guts on the other hand, the revenge he wants is about as direct as it could be, he wants to personally kill Griffith. So while both are revenge, they don't really have any similiarities beyond that.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Well there are 1000 ways to get revenge.

The Count revenge was more about the destroying the fake live his nemesis build by destroying the counts life.

He thought simple killing was too easy and fast.
Kshatriya
imanewbie

Post by Kshatriya »

Yep. Plus, no one would really want to read 1000 pages of one guy running around killing some people. As far as novels go, that's not particularly interesting. I enjoy novels with more intrigue, and a deeper plot than just run-of-the-mill murdering - I think both Berserk and The Count of Monte Cristo are beyond that.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Yeah Berserk flashback arc with all the story,drama and the feeling would have been the greatest novel ever if it was a novel.

It wasnt only about murdering people.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Oh, I fully agree that there's a lot more to the Berserk story line then just killing people. It has one of the best and most well developed plots of of any manga I've seen. However, Guts idea's for revenge are not much more sophisticated then that. He wants to kill and destroy Griffith, and all the Apostles and God's Hand related to Griffith. That's about it, there's no deep subtlety to his plans for revenge.