Find the Berserk connections (Symbolism thread)

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Re: Find the Berserk connections (Symbolism thread)

Post by War Machine »

Demon'ssssss sssssoulssss. And my character in that game is called Guts and has that exact same armor and weapon, only without the helmet.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Is that a Zero Punctuation reference you have in your pocket, or you just like pronouncing that particular consonant?
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I did a Carlos Mencia, where I hear something said by someone else and then I naturally reproduce it and say I came up with it.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Hyuri
imanewbie

Post by Hyuri »

EvilDmitri wrote:Being an audiophile, I was flipping through my progressive rock and hit upon a favorite.. and something was oddly familiar. Miura might have been a fan! The titular track is fantastic btw, wonderful imagery and vocals by Greg Lake (of Emerson, Lake and Palmer)

Not exactly but exceptionally close to the truth.

A Behelit is most likely based upon the Demon Beherith, also known as Baal-berith. He was a god worshipped in Canaanite cities and was later integrated into christian demonology. He is characterized as a rider dressed in red seated upon a red horse. He is also the one responsible for tempting humans into murdering one another.

He was supposed to be identical to Beelzebub, some even say they were confused at the time of Beherith's introduction into demonology. In turn, Beelzebub was also called The Crimson King, which is where King Crimson got their name sake from.

To some it all up:
Beelzebub/Crimson King ===> Beherith ===> Behelit
Signature by HylianShroom, you can find him at www.Zeldauniverse.net/forums
Synaux
imanewbie

Post by Synaux »

I haven't had time to read every single post and you guys are finding some good stuff! But upon a cursory scan of the posts I think I may have a insignificant contribution.

There is at least one chapter that shows corpses being impaled by a pole as if the body was a flag. This is an infamous technique attributable to Vlad III (or the Prince of Wallachia, Vladimir the Impaler, or his other pseudonym Dracula). 8)
Vladimir hired mercenaries to "Impale" prisoners up the anus (¿I don't know if the procedure was specialized for women...?) which would cause massive internal organ damage and hemorrhaging; however, the pole/lance/stick/whatever was used was plugging up the hole, so the poor individuals that were being tortured could stay alive for a matter of days (I have heard up 3-4 days and possibly longer if given water/food). This technique was used parallel to any major road that an enemy was predicted to use to lower moral.
Vlad is perhaps one of the most interesting Western figures documented read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlad_III_the_Impaler (seems to be more or less accurate).

Edit: uhm...I literally just read the prototype...so I guess I was right (Vlad is directly referenced...haha).
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I'm sure most of us here have heard of the stories of Vlad the Impaler. Man, I never would have imagined that the impaled could survive such a thing, and even remain alive for a few days though. How horrible...
Synaux
imanewbie

Post by Synaux »

Starnum wrote:I'm sure most of us here have heard of the stories of Vlad the Impaler. Man, I never would have imagined that the impaled could survive such a thing, and even remain alive for a few days though. How horrible...
Yea...well, I considered that Vlad might be common knowledge; however, in my experience, I have learned to not underestimate the profound ignorance of the masses (I have yet to determine if most of the people here are part of the herd or not... :ssh: ).

And I can only imagine that those few days would feel like weeks if not longer in excruciating pain--a very unsettling prospect.

I am sure I will come up with more connections--I forgot all the rest I made when reading the chapters.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Synaux wrote:Yea...well, I considered that Vlad might be common knowledge; however, in my experience, I have learned to not underestimate the profound ignorance of the masses (I have yet to determine if most of the people here are part of the herd or not... :ssh: ).
Tact is not your strong suit.
Synaux
imanewbie

Post by Synaux »

War Machine wrote: Tact is not your strong suit.
Haha, maybe so, but I was joking.
Is it not a least a little humorous?
I guess I failed. :/
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Oh, you most certainly did.
See, if you truly wanted to make it clear just how much you despise the faceless, ignorant masses that crawl upon this planet with their fat, stubby extremities and their idiotic, pathetically chauvinistic world views, you should have done so implicitly, in a way that reflects the fact that you don't really think they'll be able to get it, the disgusting, pig-ignorant little shits.
On the plus side, the fact that you didn't shows that you have yet to cross the line, that you can still be saved from being yet another arrogant, entitled little scumbag who, basing his judgment on some extraneous space logic, genuinely believes that he's better than everyone else.
I'm not the first person to state this (indeed, crazy old greek guy used to go on and on about it more than 2200 years ago), but knowledge beget humility, not arrogance.
The more you know, the more you realize just how much there is that you still ignore, and will probably die without knowing.
I don't know quantum physics. I don't know the logical foundations of the intuitionist school of mathematics. I haven't even read any of the works of Kierkegaard, for fuck's sake! There's entire universes of knowledge out there I'll probably die without ever knowing anything about. And you know how that makes me feel?
Like shit, that's how.
So, please, don't be so fucking smug in front of me, or are least be more articulate about it.
Also, lol!
I didn't know people could survive being impaled, that's hilarious! (for the non-impaled, that is)
Good stuff, welcome to EG.

Random bits:
There are two kinds of people in this world: those who belong to one category, and those who do not. There's also a third kind, but they aren't really worth talking about. Speaking of which, John Lennon came out of a flaming pie and said unto me "Thou shall be named after the crescent moon of Cipango!" and I did respond "Oketh!" and so I was named.
Could anyone please explain to me what's the deal with Riemann?
The flatness of a sphere.
Quod Erat Demonstratum.
P.S. Man, I gotta practice my english more, it's getting rusty! By the way, I know 250 very basic kanji now! Getting the new book! Hurray!
P.S.S.
This is a work of fiction. All references to any person, thing, time, institution, animal, river, mathematician, cianobacterium and 13th century painter, living, dead or trapped in the never-ending vortex of your mother's third testicle, is purely coincidental.
P.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S---------> Public Class Random { animal= sandwich
System.out.print ("it finallly happened/n"+ "I 've gone completely"+ Banan}assssssssssssssss

I apologize for nothing.

(Sorry about that)
~Diogenes of Sinope
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Rolos wrote:P.S. Man, I gotta practice my english more, it's getting rusty! By the way, I know 250 very basic kanji now! Getting the new book! Hurray!
I though you were studying in the US, did you go back home already? And about the kanji, the hard part is not forgetting them. :lol:
Rolos wrote:P.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S---------> Public Class Random { animal= sandwich
System.out.print ("it finallly happened/n"+ "I 've gone completely"+ Banan}assssssssssssssss
An uppercase "p" in "public", uppercase "c" in the word "class", no instantiation of the variables "animal", "sandwich" or "Banan", no type defined for the variables "animal", "sandwich" or "Banan", no semicolons used at all, no closing parenthesis for the system call, and meaningless code "assssssssssssssss" outside the class Random.
Synaux
imanewbie

Post by Synaux »

Rolos wrote:Oh, you most certainly did.
See, if you truly wanted to make it clear just how much you despise the faceless, ignorant masses that crawl upon this planet with their fat, stubby extremities and their idiotic, pathetically chauvinistic world views, you should have done so implicitly, in a way that reflects the fact that you don't really think they'll be able to get it, the disgusting, pig-ignorant little shits.
On the plus side, the fact that you didn't shows that you have yet to cross the line, that you can still be saved from being yet another arrogant, entitled little scumbag who, basing his judgment on some extraneous space logic, genuinely believes that he's better than everyone else.
The joke was that I made the overt statement; however in hindsight, it was a poor choice.
For arguments sake:
Your second paragraph contradicts the first though. A "arrogant, entitled little scumbag who, basing his judgment on some extraneous space logic, genuinely believes that he's better than everyone else" would have employed an implicit tact and believe that the central message would be misunderstood or elude the masses--perhaps the term that fits the bill here is pompous.
Also, your second paragraph infers that I already am a "arrogant, entitled little scumbag who, basing his judgment on some extraneous space logic, genuinely believes that he's better than everyone else." I will disagree, but I wont be as arrogant to try to prove it with a rant in a single post. :P
Cheers to banter...hope I didn't cross a line!
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Well, you don't really need to prove you disagree with something, you just do.
I could say I disagree with your face and that wouldn't completely incorrect, regardless of how idiotic it is.
Proving why you think your opinion is valid is a different thing altogether.
And I don't think you're an entitled, vacuous arrogant little shit. You seem pretty fun, actually, that impaling thing was hilarious.
If you want we can keep arguing about stuff, that seems like a fun way to waste time between cradle and grave.

@Warmachine: I applied to UC: Berkeley and came back to the torrid zones. If I'm admitted, sayonara Chile. Till then, work and study.Currently learning Java (I'm done with Python, and I want to know at least 2 programming languages). It's an insanely edifying activity, even more so now that I can compare it Python.
It's very different, more rigid, but it has some kickass tools.
Shit, gotta go.
I'll be posterior of the abdomen!
(God, that was a horrible pun. I'm....I'm not even sure it was a pun. I don't know what it is. Oh god, oh Jesus, o fuck I feel sick. Someone, please, slap me!)
~Diogenes of Sinope
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

*slap*

Feel better now? :D
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Much better, thank you.

And now for something not entirely completely unlike the previous subject, theme, object or issue:

Behold, and be horrified!
Bear witness, and be flabbergasted!
Read, and fear! Fear for the future of a world that allows such a thing to be!
CONTEMPLATE THE FRUIT Of MY TRANSGRESSIONS!
[spoiler]import IIC1103Package.Usuario;
public class Exer_1 {
//Program to determine whether a given number is curious or not.

public static void main(String[] args) {

int number = Usuario.entero("Type in number you wish to analyze");
int digits = Usuario.entero("Type in number of digits of previously input number");
int square= number*number;
int x=1;
int p=0;
int y=0;
if((number/Math.pow(10,digits-x)>10)){
System.out.print(" ");
}//if1
if((number/Math.pow(10,digits-x))<1){
System.out.print(" ");
}//if2
else {
int quad = square;
while (quad>0){
y=y+1;
quad= quad/10;
}//while1
while(square> number){
p= (int) (square/Math.pow(10, y-x));
square= (int) (square- (Math.pow(10, y-x)*p));
x= x+1;

}//while
if (square == number){
System.out.print("The input number is curious");
}//if3
else {System.out.print("The input number is not curious");
}//else2
}//else1
}//main
}//class[/spoiler]

I've stared into the abyss.
Procedural programming stared back at me.
It said "hi".
Motherforgiveme.
~Diogenes of Sinope
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I tried understanding what the code does, but it's pretty complicated, so I'm just gonna forget about the computation and assume that works. Anyway, what's with the first two if-statements? What's the point of putting a space only under those conditions?

PS: Good luck on getting into UC Berkley.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Curious numbers are all those contained in the last digits of their squares.
Example:

5^2= 25
6^2= 36

It's a rather pointless sequence, but it was fun (and challenging) to come up with an algorithm to predict whether any given number was curious or not. Implementing it was hell, I realized midway I had been thinking of the number of digits of NUMBER as the number of digits of SQUARE from the first two thirds of the algorithm onwards, which is why I had to come up with all sorts of patchy solutions. The result was that unholy mess up there.
One of the funny things of mathematics (and, by extension, programming) is how much more you're likely to run into the word 'elegance' when reading a mathematics analysis than when you're reading a history treatise. It says a lot about the nature of mathematics as a science.There's an awesome article by John Von Neumann on the subject.

Given how inelegant my solution to the problem I set out to solve was, I decided to share my little abomination in the only place I know in the internet I can be certain no one will use it to masturbate, as a sort of stern warning of things to come if people like me are allowed next to GUI's.
~Diogenes of Sinope
somefatman
notanewb

Post by somefatman »

Why not :

Code: Select all

String squareString = String.valueOf(square);
int finalDigit = Integer.valueOf(squareString.subString(squareString.length()-1)).intValue();
if (finalDigit == number){
System.out.print("The input number is curious");
}
else {System.out.print("The input number is not curious");
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

You got it working, that's pretty good. I'd recommend using Strings though, it's easier to simply compare the character 6 in 26 to the original number (6). You even have a lot of methods you can use with strings like compareTo (compares two strings), substrings (strings inside the strings, like the "6" in the string "26"), and even String.length() which gives you the number of characters in the string (which you could use to get number of digits instead of having to ask for them). You can parse between Integers and Strings with these:

String str = "26";
int n = 5;

n = Integer.parseInt(str); //parse string to integer
str = n.toString(); //parse integer to string
I still don't understand what the point of these two if-statements is:

if((number/Math.pow(10,digits-x)>10))
     System.out.print(" ");

if((number/Math.pow(10,digits-x))<1)
     System.out.print(" ");
Anyway, I recommend using the java API's like this one where you can find all the methods available at your disposal (look up String on the bottom left section where it says "all classes" and in there you can find all the methods the String object has by default in Java 6):

http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Hi.
What is this doing here?
Regards.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

You're right.
I just re-read a few of my posts, and, by god, I do sound like the ponciest ponce to ever ponce past the poncing parlour.
Seriously, what a pompous, annoying dick.
I'm sticking with one liners for a whole week, I won't be victim of my own verbal diarrhea.

P.S. Just finished working in my fibonacci program. Man, object-oriented java programming is fucking hard, it's nothing like Python.
P.S.S. We could do a berserk-themed programming contest or something.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Rolos wrote:P.S.S. We could do a berserk-themed programming contest or something.
Sure. First person to create a program (any language) which can replicate the thought processes, predictive ability, and manipulative power of the Idea of Evil will win the Best Evil Overlord of the Year award. How's that?
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Istvan wrote:
Rolos wrote:P.S.S. We could do a berserk-themed programming contest or something.
Sure. First person to create a program (any language) which can replicate the thought processes, predictive ability, and manipulative power of the Idea of Evil will win the Best Evil Overlord of the Year award. How's that?
The Idea of Evil was scrapped from the manga, how many times do I have to say it? :-P
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

[/laconic] No it wasn't.[/]
~Diogenes of Sinope
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Rolos wrote:[/laconic] No it wasn't.[/]
Rolos wrote:[/laconic] Domain unregistered, huh? That seems pretty hardcore, I don't know if I'd go that far.[/]
Rolos wrote:[/laconic] Don't.[/]
By jove, what's happened to the man? Is it too late to reverse the damage? Bring back the old Rolos!

"There's no place like Aplaca Tank. There's no place like Aplaca Tank. There's no place like Aplaca Tank."

[spoiler]But no just kidding, you post however you see fit mr rolos sir.[/spoiler]