Forum Ideas & Suggestions

Evil-Genius' latest information on its current projects: Angel Heart, Biomega, Watanabe, and Zetman.

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

The contest should be in the EG section I think, that's where people get releases and that's where it'll be more visible by newcomers.

Maybe put it on the main site too. I was checking it out the other day and I was surprised at seeing comments by usernames I'm not familiar with. Maybe we could do a plug from there into these forums?

As for the "afraid to post thing," I don't think that's true. Every forum I've visited has a million guests and hundreds of registered users that simply don't post. People just aren't "afraid" of anonymously posting in an internet message board. I mean, what's there to be afraid of?

If you're one of those "afraid to post" people, then post in this thread and prove me wrong.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

There are no afraid to posters they are just leechers who dont care about posting.

Who needs them ;)

I like the number of posting members as it is right now. I dont like forums that are too big cause the chance of there is more noobs are to big in the big forums.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

If we happen to have some contest for artwork, we could arrange that I guess. I'll mention it on a post on the blog when the next chapter comes out, and we'll work on it there. Either we collect the artwork in the fan art thread, and we (meaning myself and some other people) will select the best number of artwork and start a poll in another thread. Any excess artwork we recieve in the duration of the voting will be left to the next release.

Or we can scrap the whole contest idea and grab whatever artwork possible that's been posted.

The 'afraid to post' excuse is way overused. Either people post, or they lose interest in posting. There is no 'afraid to post' bullshit here. See the Interstice and how lonely it is? See any flaming activity in any other sections of the forums? The answer is no. Therefore, there is nothing to be afraid about, is there? I think we had this discussion before, and we all pretty much said 'good riddance'. And I think we blamed it all on Femto as well.

I suggest a unified thread for birthdays. Just one thread, instead of multiple ones. That just keeps it in order, I guess.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Eldo wrote:And I think we blamed it all on Femto as well.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Eldo wrote:If we happen to have some contest for artwork, we could arrange that I guess. I'll mention it on a post on the blog when the next chapter comes out, and we'll work on it there. Either we collect the artwork in the fan art thread, and we (meaning myself and some other people) will select the best number of artwork and start a poll in another thread. Any excess artwork we recieve in the duration of the voting will be left to the next release.

Or we can scrap the whole contest idea and grab whatever artwork possible that's been posted.

The 'afraid to post' excuse is way overused. Either people post, or they lose interest in posting. There is no 'afraid to post' bullshit here. See the Interstice and how lonely it is? See any flaming activity in any other sections of the forums? The answer is no. Therefore, there is nothing to be afraid about, is there? I think we had this discussion before, and we all pretty much said 'good riddance'. And I think we blamed it all on Femto as well.

I suggest a unified thread for birthdays. Just one thread, instead of multiple ones. That just keeps it in order, I guess.
Unified thread for birthdays is almost a must since there are so many threads for birthdays popping up.
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

Libaax wrote: I like the number of posting members as it is right now. I dont like forums that are too big cause the chance of there is more noobs are to big in the big forums.
At least give the noobs a chance :P

And yes, a unified birthday thread is a good idea, it's a bit annoying to see all those new birthdaythreads. Perhaps a birthdaythread that updates its name automaticly with the name of the person?

this I saw on another forum:
yah the evil genius forums... man they are real hard on new members, i go there to read the threads just to see the new kids get their asses handed back to them on a plate...but yeah if anyone wanted to post there its a definate overlook of the FAQ before posting. that would have to be one of my favorite forums though, even if i don't post....
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Femto wrote:
Eldo wrote:And I think we blamed it all on Femto as well.
yah the evil genius forums... man they are real hard on new members, i go there to read the threads just to see the new kids get their asses handed back to them on a plate...but yeah if anyone wanted to post there its a definate overlook of the FAQ before posting. that would have to be one of my favorite forums though, even if i don't post....
Which forum is that? I'll go and post there.

Oh, oh, did he/she blame Femto for their reason for not posting?

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Quest
Tastes like burning!

Post by Quest »

yeah thats the impression i get of this forum.
all the time in the past and sometimes now.
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

http://mangaforums.org/showthread.php?t=1704

btw, i don't think Femto has anything to do with it
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Hahahaha.

I can't believe people are so fearful of internet cussing. If I'm the reason, then I must be more awesome than I thought I was. I'd like to bitchslap some e-sense into whoever said this.

There are three good things about this though:

1) We're awesome.
2) We've been successful at making damn sure that people read the rules before posting, which saves aggravation on both sides.
3) We're awesome.

PS: The only requirement to posting in this forum and not being flamed is not being a complete retard. If you can pass this simple requirement, then welcome aboard.
PPS: Image
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Wow, I used to post there, well, more out of obligation back then. But seriously, not my type of forum though.

But if you need to blame anyone, blame Femto. I heard he causes cancer.

If people say 'yes' to unified birthday thread, I guess I'll make one sometime and sticky it.

Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Eldo wrote:If people say 'yes' to unified birthday thread, I guess I'll make one sometime and sticky it.
No.

1) We don't need another sticky.
2) After a while, people will just see a new post and won't care what's inside because they'll assume it's just a million more "Happy Birthday 2 U" posts.
3) Why not just call the thread "come in, free +1s for everyone"?
4) Psi said something about people having a birthday only once every year, thus deserving their own thread on that occasion.

Birthday threads are generally lame and having a unified one as a sticky would be even lamer.

Things are working fine the way they are now.

I was going to say something else but I forgot.

It might've been something witty but we'll never know.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Yeah, I guess those points are all valid. I guess I can't lock that thread like I do with the others if people are spamming and all.

I really don't like it when people post and congratulate on someone's birthday when it's like a week later. And there's too many multiple threads on it, especially with people we don't care about, like Buzkashi.

Back on the drawing board. As for the fanart, I guess it's open to any of the manga we do, but we should focus generally on Berserk. I don't see how that's going to take off though, it's not like anyone's posting there right now. Guess I'll make a blog entry next week when we make a release, that way people would check it out.

Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Do it.

For the first couple of releases we can even pick stuff from the Fan Art Thread to see if it encourages people.

PS: The Buzkashi bit made me loller.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

you know what that tells me (mangaforums quote) ? that we are actually a very well read forum, with a great signal to noise ratio. We cut the crap, and get to the point.

However, I do see a need to find fresh meat which contradicts my statements made a year or so ago about not caring.

Well, now that I have a real job and can afford to drop some bucks on the server and hosting... the bandwidth problem no longer exists to the same extent.

Thus, that is why I chose this template for the forums, because it has very FEW images, most of it is text. It is clean, and yes dark... however, if you find something else that looks awesome, I'm no longer concerned as much about it using bandwidth.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I actually think this template is awesome, and feel that there's no need to change. If another template needs to be used, I say BBTech. I never liked Aeonlus.

Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Long Live BBtech. But I feel Psi has made to many adjustments and tweaks to the current template to make it great. I wouldnt want him to have to do that all over again.
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

The thing I love about this template is that it's easy for the eyes. And it looks quite professional yes. When I compare with other sites, this forum looks much more organised and serious. psi did a great job with this template and we/I respect that :mrgreen:
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Majority of the stuff I have done is back-end, so.. changing the template would be.... difficult, but not impossible.

I like this theme, it works well imho.

However... I'm always open to better ideas.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

If it's too much work, psi, leave it as is.

Seriously, is there really a need for a new template? You'll eventually get bored of that one and switch back to this one anyway. The current template matches the whole mood of Berserk as well, and it captures the dark theme associated with it. Any brighter one would just ruin the mood, goddamn it.

psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

for the Contest, I think it is a great idea. I also think that we can expand on this, as in not just colored Berserk or other EG releases but also 0make of EGs work as well.

This should open up the contest to more people and hopefully provide amusement to those who come to the forums. I'm thinking this should take place in EG's News & Releases since it covers more than Berserk.

I would also like to stipulate that if you post something on the forums, that EG has the right use those images (with credit to where credit is due) in our releases. This hopefully is the point, that people would like for others to see their work, but I felt I had to put that in there so no one gets the wrong idea. :P

So, what do you all think? It will be a popularity contest, so no hard feelings. We may add more than one. :P
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

That sounds good to me.
panasonic
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by panasonic »

yay more omakes! i dont there have been any new ones lately, so any new ones would be great
"Education is the foundation upon which you build your entire lust for cash"-Onizuka

http://www.striporama.com/edits/main.html
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I completely missed psi's post there.

I like these two:

http://www.freestylexl.com/demo/index.php?style=getaway
http://www.phpbb-design.com/phpBB2_styl ... heme/?s=14

But really, I've experienced what a bitch it is to change stuff around between templates and I don't think it's fair to have psi do it all over again after we settled with this one.

Maybe we could get a more appealing banner or something, it kinda gets mudded a little.